Mike Davis no longer in charge of US Open Course setup

So the link no longer works and I haven't gotten answers to these questions in any other articles I've seen.

It's unclear what (if any) written guidelines and standards exist for setting up the U.S. Open. If there are a lot of detailed guidelines and standards then changing the person shouldn't change much of anything, except the experience level of the person implementing them. If there are few guidelines and standards then it's a crap shoot what we're going to get.

I think this is a very good move and a long time coming. Although I’m not sure anyone knows how to properly set up the US Open any longer. Whom ever replaces him will be under a great deal of pressure. I don’t envy that poor sap.

What's wrong with the winning score being under par? These are the best players in the world. Make it tough, not unplayable. Rough should be deep along the fairways and tough around the greens, fairways should be tight. There should be bogies and birdies. The Open and the PGA produce great champions, but don't set up the course so crazy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: These guys are all playing the same course on the same weekend. It shouldn't matter if you're -10 or +10, a win is a win. Do I think the greens should be controlled a little better? Sure? But all of the complaints over the years from the world's top players rings as nothing more than hurt egos to me.

I hope the green stimp is managed a little better and not stupid fast. There are are other ways to challenge the players than making the greens ridiculously fast. But it seemed to me that the goal in recent opens was to make them the fastest greens of the year, and I didn’t enjoy watching that part. The players didn’t seem to enjoy playing it either!

Tighten the fairways, keep conditions soft, let out the rough, but I don’t want to see them on 13+ stimp greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back