Self Fitting - Could you do it successfully?

No way!

Have and will continue to do so. I've experimented with enough clubs and shafts while knowing a small piece of the puzzle in tech. The more I learn, the better the fitting gets. If I can't fit myself, how do I expect to fit customers?

As well as a thorough professional fitting? No. But I can do a fairly adequate job.

After watching the best in the business perform fittings at ECPC I can say with confidence I'm nowhere near that. Now, given your second choice of a 7 iron and 4 shafts, I could probably pick the best one for me. Probably...

Not in a million years.

If those options are available on an outside range and I had my clubs with me then yes I do think I could with irons. Driver is harder since depth perception comes into play a lot more.

Self Fitting - Could you do it successfully?

with no time constraints, yes I could. I understand the vagaries and inconsistencies of my swing well enough that there really isn't a perfect fit, only a perfect fit for that particular swing that I may never make again. so as long as I can get close, that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been through several fittings in my life but none of them were perfect or without needing tweaks afterwards. My current irons and wedges I fit without help by trying different shafts and head combinations on the range. Ball flight and feel are what matter the most, the numbers from a trackman are only a starting point. The other thing I need to do with any club is test it on the course. A driver shaft combination that looks optimal on the launch monitor may not perform equally well on the course.

I kind of know where I fit, given a range of performance characteristics, but I'll leave this to the pros.

I would always say yes I could, but this past year really opened my eyes, especially on my irons. I have ALWAYS played DG S300 shafts and went for an iron fitting when my clubs got stolen. The fitter strongly suggested getting Nippon 1150GH shafts in my new Mizunos. He made up a 6 iron demo unit and I hit both shafts in my settings. The difference was night and day. I was hitting the Nippon a solid 15-20 yard further than the DGs and more accurately as well... I would have never thought to change the shaft that worked forever for me, but I did this year...

Having gone through a fitting now, seeing what's involved, how it works and the numbers I needed or wanted to be around. With the correct equipment and time, yes, I could do it myself.

Yes I think I could do a fairly good job. Not as good as a pro but I know enough about my game and the kind of stuff that works well for me that I would be able to get somewhat close.

with no time constraints, yes I could. I understand the vagaries and inconsistencies of my swing well enough that there really isn't a perfect fit, only a perfect fit for that particular swing that I may never make again. so as long as I can get close, that's all that matters.

Well said. I think if we had access to most of the tools fitters use, over time we could get ourselves in a pretty good setup. If the questions was, could you perfectly fit yourself, I think very few of us could make that happen. Could we do it to where we may have better success than we did before a fitting? I think it is entirely possible for sure.

Simply put, not in a million years. Starting the process now and making me realize how daunting and technical it can get.

Nope, I have a hard time being fit by professionals for driver and wedges.............

To a point, yes. But I would always want the input of an experienced fitter before pulling the trigger on anything.

Not one I was willing to drop a cool grand (or more) on.

Suppose you are browsing at your favorite golf shop and find yourself alone among the fitting carts with access to all the necessary tools: launch monitor, impact tape, shaft change tools, etc.

Given the available information here as well as access to online shaft selection tools such as those available from True Temper and KBS, do you think you could confidently fit yourself to your next driver or set of irons, enough so that you would take your results to the counter and order that day?

I not only fit myself but I fit my brother using the GS carts. Club fitting is a passion of mine though, I've been keeping up with it for years and I'm a pretty decent fitter.

I not only fit myself but I fit my brother using the GS carts. Club fitting is a passion of mine though, I've been keeping up with it for years and I'm a pretty decent fitter.

Great, when can you work me in? :D

Personally, nope no way I could give myself a correct fitting. I could probably find something that "works" for me but to find the best combination not a chance. I just don't have the knowledge as to what to look for in my swing and what part needs to change on the club to help.

The biggest difference is that I would know my fit wasn't determined by what the fitter overstocked.

Not one I was willing to drop a cool grand (or more) on.

Toss it the microwave first

I've been self-fitting driver shafts for a couple years now, it's turned out to be an expensive endeavor! I can't even count how many driver shafts I've bought and sold in just the past six months. I can only imagine how much money, and time, I'd have spent if I attempted to self-fit everything else in the bag.

Prognosis negative.

I think it's possible for a driver IF you've been fitted before and have a consistent swing.

Anything else, no way.

Back