kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I've been building/tearing apart/rebuilding clubs for a while now. Mostly irons with steel shafts in the beginning. Vise, propane torch. I inevitably get burn marks on hosels. Nothing a little Barkeepers Friend can't remove. I've even done high end Epons, Miuras, etc.

I've started doing woods with graphite shafts. I invested in a good shaft puller. I bought a heat gun to avoid burn marks. I would hold the heat gun on the hosel forever and the epoxy never breaks down. After a while a give it a few blasts with a propane torch and able to remove the head. I've been luck I haven't damaged any paint on the wood heads.

My question... Has anyone had any success using heat guns alone? I mean, it seems like I'm holding that thing forever and the epoxy doesn't break. Is there a method (in a circular motion, etc) that I need to try? The one positive is that the heat gun never leaves and burn marks. But, it doesn't seem like it ever gets the hosel hot enough. Thanks.

I have done it with heat guns, with a good shaft puller.
Most shaft pullers made for consumers are the smaller machines that are found on online auction sites. While they work fine, a torch is going to be the best bet to get that to work properly.

I have done it with heat guns, with a good shaft puller.
Most shaft pullers made for consumers are the smaller machines that are found on online auction sites. While they work fine, a torch is going to be the best bet to get that to work properly.

I agree. I use a torch more than a heat gun but there is a place for both. With a torch you have to apply the heat from a bit of a distance, slowly and not at super high flow. You have to be careful to only break the epoxy bond and not get the shaft itself hot or you risk pulling the shaft apart at the tip.

I use nothing but a heat gun for all clubs. Does not seem to take that long with the gun on high setting. About 30 seconds to a minutes around the hosel with the gun then put it in my Roberts puller and off comes the head.

I've only had to pull a couple of shafts and I've always used a heat gun. I start out concentrating on a few spots and then circular motion. Never used a torch which I think would work faster.

I've used both, and had better success with the torch. The heat gun I found can overheat after a bit if the heads are being stubborn and you have multiple heads you're removing.

I didn't think to use some barkeeper's friend on a hosel if it's gotten a little discolored. Would have never thought of that.

Heat gun only for me. I think it is more about the gun needing to warm up and get hot. The first club always takes noticeably longer than all the rest.

Heat gun only. The extra time it takes is worth the peace of mind for me.

Im in the camp of a heat gun. It takes a while, but I find that a slow circular motions works best. Be patient with it.

Any good recommendations for inexpensive ones?

So, I've been building/tearing apart/rebuilding clubs for a while now. Mostly irons with steel shafts in the beginning. Vise, propane torch. I inevitably get burn marks on hosels. Nothing a little Barkeepers Friend can't remove. I've even done high end Epons, Miuras, etc.

I've started doing woods with graphite shafts. I invested in a good shaft puller. I bought a heat gun to avoid burn marks. I would hold the heat gun on the hosel forever and the epoxy never breaks down. After a while a give it a few blasts with a propane torch and able to remove the head. I've been luck I haven't damaged any paint on the wood heads.

My question... Has anyone had any success using heat guns alone? I mean, it seems like I'm holding that thing forever and the epoxy doesn't break. Is there a method (in a circular motion, etc) that I need to try? The one positive is that the heat gun never leaves and burn marks. But, it doesn't seem like it ever gets the hosel hot enough. Thanks.

I use a heat gun exclusively and have never had an issue. I do have more patience than some, but satisfy the time by knowing that I am very likely to never destroy anything.

.....although weights buried in iron heads may change that some day.

Check out harbor freight too, cheap cheap and work well.

The one Dan posted is the one I have as well and it has worked great for me.

Thanks Dan just picked this up.

That's the exact heat gun I have at work Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you weren't moving i wouldn't need to get one would I? ;)

Touché

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation dan! Used it last night and it worked great.

Back