Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

The ball has a minimum size, but not a maximum. Weight has to stay the same though.

If the weight must stay the same but the ball can be bigger I wonder if there will be noticeable wind impact. More mass for the wind to push around with the weight being slightly more spread out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the weight must stay the same but the ball can be bigger I wonder if there will be noticeable wind impact. More mass for the wind to push around with the weight being slightly more spread out.

Ha, your timing is perfect on that question! The one shot I took with these was a 7i in about a 20mph wind. I don't think it reacted a whole lot differently than the shot I hit with the ERC right before it. They did mention the aerodynamics on the ball were different - it's not just a SuperSoft after it was zapped with a growth ray.

Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

Bigger ball more distance? I would have thought it would have been the other way around, smaller ball further distance? I remember way back when OEM's made smaller 'womens' golf balls and lots of people were playing them because they went further than the traditional ball.

I’m going from memory here so apologies if I’ve got it wrong. My recollection is that going to larger or smaller you reach a point of diminishing returns. In this case they’ve gone very incrementally larger. That allows the ball to have a larger core. The core is the engine. Bigger core means more distance. The negative affect from the increase size of the ball is offset by reducing drag. At least that’s the way I remember it.

I dig these, maybe not for me, but I think these would be great for my wife or someone starting out.

Just need to have colors for her.

I keep telling my wife I have some new balls for her to try...no, really I do. :D Seriously, though, she only plays occasionally but her short game is her weakness so I'm very interested in seeing her chips and (lack of) touch with the Magna.

I dig these, maybe not for me, but I think these would be great for my wife or someone starting out.

Just need to have colors for her.
The promotional piece on this ball featured a lot of younger kids, older golfers and some ladies. I won't be surprised at all if I buy a box for my wife.

If these went Truvis the ball would look even bigger

The promotional piece on this ball featured a lot of younger kids, older golfers and some ladies. I won't be surprised at all if I buy a box for my wife.

Goes back to the colors - my wife is playing a mix of pink balls from different OEMs - she does love the pink Chromesoft too

I brought a sleeve of these home and they are going straight to the wife and kids to use. I think having a larger ball for my kids to start out with is going to be a great thing for them.

Will probably do the same here

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

interesting ball, not best for my game but I can definitely see the benefits for beginners/golfers with slower swing speeds.

I do like the alignment aid

Edit: oops wrong thread for the wrong ball, so many Callaway threads to get through.

When I saw this thread I thought it was the MAGA ball and thought man Callaway is making a bold decision there.... Something I honestly never considered was to go bigger on the golf ball, I would be afraid the ball would not drop as easily but should be easier to find/hit. Is part of the Magna name a nod to the previous Magna ball?

I think stuff like this promising distance can be confusing because most golfers think in terms of maximum potential verses average shot. These are closer together for really good players and farther apart for lower skilled players. Often when a product like this talked about distance gains they are talking about the average and not the max.

By the laws of physics a larger ball is going to have a higher center of gravity. In golf this means it will launch higher than a normal ball under the exact same circumstances. Obviously on a subset of swings this will go farther than a normal ball and on a subset of swings this will go shorter than a normal ball. For instance a swing that might be a bit thin and low with a normal ball may result in solid contact and launch with this ball, conversely a ball hit a bit fat and high with a normal ball might be quite a bit fat with this ball. That's the tradeoff.

2nd thing is this ball will increase drag in the air. This will certainly limit distance on shots. I am not sure what that would do in regards to side spin, but shorter shots are going to have smaller dispersion so that means more fairways.

This is a product with lots of tradeoffs, the marketing is going to be interesting for this one.

I think stuff like this promising distance can be confusing because most golfers think in terms of maximum potential verses average shot. These are closer together for really good players and farther apart for lower skilled players. Often when a product like this talked about distance gains they are talking about the average and not the max.

By the laws of physics a larger ball is going to have a higher center of gravity. In golf this means it will launch higher than a normal ball under the exact same circumstances. Obviously on a subset of swings this will go farther than a normal ball and on a subset of swings this will go shorter than a normal ball. For instance a swing that might be a bit thin and low with a normal ball may result in solid contact and launch with this ball, conversely a ball hit a bit fat and high with a normal ball might be quite a bit fat with this ball. That's the tradeoff.

2nd thing is this ball will increase drag in the air. This will certainly limit distance on shots. I am not sure what that would do in regards to side spin, but shorter shots are going to have smaller dispersion so that means more fairways.

This is a product with lots of tradeoffs, the marketing is going to be interesting for this one.

I think their marketing will be pretty clear on who they are going after with this - I didn't get the feeling they were suggesting everyone would see distance gains from this ball. I'm not sure if it was part of the release today since I've been in and out of meetings and missed the golf ball portions, but they showed us a video with Amanda Balionis focused on juniors and seniors, with slower swing speeds. And what I've heard from the Callaway folks both on the ball tour last year and this year is the best way to see if a ball works for you is try it - this is a relatively cheap ball, you could put 6 of these against 6 of the regular SuperSoft in the $20 range.

Side by side picture with the ERC
7abe20708e885a65991564e2af280fcb.jpg

Alignment aid
32cb9117a7744502626fb73e95cb3364.jpg

In hand with another golf ball, the Magna feels noticeable lighter.

Same issue that the old Magna had. Less putts dropping that are edge burners. As opposed to the British balls I used (relatives brought me back several dozen at a time) that I felt made more putts. I know it’s a minuscule difference in actual size, but the bigger ball just makes it seem that the hole is smaller. Vice versa for the old British ball.

......nope......

Same issue that the old Magna had. Less putts dropping that are edge burners. As opposed to the British balls I used (relatives brought me back several dozen at a time) that I felt made more putts. I know it’s a minuscule difference in actual size, but the bigger ball just makes it seem that the hole is smaller. Vice versa for the old British ball.

Or you could catch more of a piece of the cup on those edge burners

My wife is curious about trying the Magma golf balls. I think they’ll help her contact and distance.

what's the compression on these Magna balls?

I do not remember for sure, but they are in the SuperSoft line, so they would be in the ballpark of those.

Really want to try this one.

Back