Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

As the ball diameter increases and the hole diameter remains the same, does it become increasingly unlikely for the ball to drop in the hole? If you imagine a ball twice the regular diameter rolling toward the hole it would appear a well rolled larger ball would be less likely to find the edge of the hole.

As the ball diameter increases and the hole diameter remains the same, does it become increasingly unlikely for the ball to drop in the hole? If you imagine a ball twice the regular diameter rolling toward the hole it would appear a well rolled larger ball would be less likely to find the edge of the hole.

A couple people have made this argument, but I can't work out the logic. Why would it be less likely to catch the edge? I'd think the contact patch with the grass would be roughtly the same size, give or take, and there's equal amount of ball on either side.

A couple people have made this argument, but I can't work out the logic. Why would it be less likely to catch the edge? I'd think the contact patch with the grass would be roughtly the same size, give or take, and there's equal amount of ball on either side.

Do you have these? Next time we play would you bring one?

Do you have these? Next time we play would you bring one?

Should have asked the other day.

Actually, these might be really interesting to play around with on the sim or something when we go. I've got some of the regular supersofts still that I think we can use to compare.

Should have asked the other day.

Actually, these might be really interesting to play around with on the sim or something when we go. I've got some of the regular supersofts still that I think we can use to compare.

I meant to, but was distracted by ERC

Anyone get their hands on these yet?

I’ve got 2 of them. And will be testing them a little next time I get out for a round. I’ll probably also pick up a dozen to play with once they hit retail.

Looking forward to spring time when I can test these out, last year most of my rounds were with the SuperSoft and really like them.

The other thing I was thinking about with these is how they could also help contact with some players and hurt contact for other players. What I mean is the extra tiny bit might help a golfer who tends to hit a little further towards the toe by having a little more ball but a golfer who hits a little more towards the heel might struggle with some hosel hits. I know its a small increase in size but I could see it making a difference both ways here and there. I would love to find guys that have those issues and let them hit some of these and see if it has any effect at all on either one good or bad. I am probably over analyzing it but I can't help and be a little Dechambeau-ish from time to time.

I think you just pointed out the crumb of logic I was looking for, "contact patch". Surely as the ball diameter increases the contact patch increases, assuming the surface is consistent. I'm looking forward to trying the ball, but as golfer I reserve the right to ponder infinitesimal excuses for why my ball may not drop in the hole.

Last edited:
Are they out yet ?

Are they out yet ?

They are not.

I actually played one today for one hole. Not much to say really yet, but it’s an interesting ball for sure. It’s definitely easy to hit, and it goes straight. I’ll do some more testing next time I get out for a round.

Are these 38 compression like the Supersofts ?

I asked this question while we were there. My personal opinion is it could have an effect but the effect could be minimized by other factors such as a bigger ball will be easier to hit pure, etc

I don't know about edges, but big picture theory...it's easier to throw a ping pong ball through a hoop than a basketball.

Of course this ball is so slightly incrementally bigger than a standard ball that the effect should be negligible. And the benefits from that incremental size difference way outweigh any putting effects for the ball's target audience.

Im curious how these perform for folks. With their intro to retail at the tail end of next week, I hope we can get some quality feedback from those not frozen out.

For those wondering about the compression, I messaged Jason Finley and he said the Magna and Supersoft 2019 are both 35 compression.

For those wondering about the compression, I messaged Jason Finley and he said the Magna and Supersoft 2019 are both 35 compression.

Cool! I don’t think any of us asked that question. They’re definitely a soft ball, and pretty similar feeling to the SS IMO, which makes sense.

So I'm guessing Callaway is going to put these out with little to no marketing about them. They have no mention of them on their website. It's all about the ERC so far. The Supersoft section of their site isn't working right now so maybe the info will go up tomorrow for these and the new version of the Supersoft.

So I'm guessing Callaway is going to put these out with little to no marketing about them. They have no mention of them on their website. It's all about the ERC so far. The Supersoft section of their site isn't working right now so maybe the info will go up tomorrow for these and the new version of the Supersoft.

I don’t know that these are coming out the same time as the ERC soft. I don’t know for sure but I think these were coming out later, March maybe? @jasonfinleycg can you provide a better answer?

I don’t know that these are coming out the same time as the ERC soft. I don’t know for sure but I think these were coming out later, March maybe? @jasonfinleycg can you provide a better answer?
The info on the Callaway press site says they all have a release date of tomorrow 2/8/19 so I was assuming all3 are hitting stores tomorrow.

https://callawaypresscenter.com/portfolio-item/supersoft-magna-golf-ball/

Either way I'm probably still at least a month away from being able to try them with the Ohio weather.

Back