If you were to look at my scores I'm guessing that my walking scores are better. But that's only because I only walk a couple of courses that are flat parkland and pretty easy. I probably play about the same walking and riding but much prefer to ride in a cart.

I score about the same but I definitely prefer to walk if given a choice.

I don't think it affects my score that much but I find myself making better decisions when I walk because I know I have to walk to where the ball ends up.

I definitely prefer walking, but there doesn't seem to be a significant overall difference in my scoring over time, between the two.

No I shoot so close to the same with either that difference would be to small to make a difference.

I'm not sure I see a difference in scores. If it's a course I haven't played before or if it's really hilly I prefer to ride. Walking is especially good for me if pace of pay is slow as my frustration is lessened by the walk. I am a pretty fast player and if the course is empty I find it hard to walk a normal pace and not speed walk. I have to make a conscious effort to walk a normal pace to not derail the quality of my play.

I really enjoy walking

When I play 9 holes walking, my scores are much lower, typically 2-5 over, rather than 5-8 over riding. So far, though, over 18, I haven't seen that much of a difference.

Do you guys notice a difference in the way you play when you ride a cart vs walking?
I know without a doubt, I play better all around when I walk.
I would actually say the opposite, a bit better when I ride.

I think I play better when I ride, but prefer to walk and the difference isn't enough to matter all that much.

When I play 9 holes walking, my scores are much lower, typically 2-5 over, rather than 5-8 over riding. So far, though, over 18, I haven't seen that much of a difference.

Walk the front, ride the back!

I seem to play the same. I prefer to walk when the course allows but many course designs have too much distance between holes and require carts.

Didn't make any difference in my game. I shot my personal best round of 73 when I was still able to walk and carry, but I've played several rounds within a stroke or two of that since I started riding all the time. I've played with quite a few near scratch golfers who always ride, and I've played with some that walk.

I don't see that the method of travel has much to do with it, more what the player can wrap his mind around. I used to think that I played worse when riding, but that was when I only rode once or twice a year at most. Once I started having trouble with my feet and was forced to ride more often, I found that it really didn't matter.

I currently walk and carry most of my rounds. My last 20 walking have an average score of 94. I don't cart as often, and when I do its usually at a unfamiliar course and I may or may not have a few more beers than normal. My last 20 riding rounds have averaged 100, but that is over a longer period of time and I have improved significantly so it's not really an apt comparison.

I will say I do prefer to walk as I can compartmentalize bad shots/decisions better and move on to the next shot. Not sure why but that's how it feels to me.

While my scores walking and riding are probably identical, I tend to enjoy the round a lot more when I walk. I also think I hit more quality shots as my body stays looser. A long round in a cart is tough on the back.

While my scores walking and riding are probably identical, I tend to enjoy the round a lot more when I walk. I also think I hit more quality shots as my body stays looser. A long round in a cart is tough on the back.

I'm just the opposite. If I walk 9 holes my back is a pretzel, and it doesn't matter if I'm pushing or carrying the bag. I've had chronic back trouble since the mid 80's, a leftover from whitewater kayaking, and I developed trouble with my feet in the early 90's. I finally quit walking for golf altogether in the early 2000's.

I am much more comfortable walking (with a push cart) vs riding I guess because I am so use to walking. And riding can become a pain the butt especially when the two players may be playing a bit errant with shots. Not playing good so called "cart golf" can become a bit stressful and feel like somewhat of a chore to be efficient and walking can actually be smoother going imo.

I enjoy walking a walkable course and enjoy riding the ones that are long walks green to tee.
As far as scores.. Not sure. I feel my tempo is probably better walking.
Walk probably 75% of my rounds.

I prefer walking if it's a walkable course ( No 500 yard journeys between holes ). I don't know if I play better walking but I do seem to concentrate more while I take in the entire hole walking up the fairway as opposed to riding up the cart path. So maybe there is some merit to walking and playing better.

I prefer walking if it's a walkable course ( No 500 yard journeys between holes ). I don't know if I play better walking but I do seem to concentrate more while I take in the entire hole walking up the fairway as opposed to riding up the cart path. So maybe there is some merit to walking and playing better.

^^^This, exactly^^^

My concentration is much better walking, it allows me to visualize the next shot longer, which usually leads to more solid swings.

I'm committed to walking as much as possible, problem is, most courses aren't built for walkers anymore.

This may be one of the settling factors. I have almost never played a course where I was required to drive on the cart path except around the tees and greens. Many of the courses don't even have a path anywhere else. When I leave the tee area I drive into the fairway and get on the line to my ball. If I see a visible high traffic area, I try to avoid it if possible, same with any apparent soft or wet areas. But I still drive mostly straight to the ball. I would hate to always have to return to the cart path after every shot. Since pace isn't affected one way or the other unless the course is wide open, I still have plenty of time to look over the hole and experience the environment.

When a course has cart path only in place I won't play. A couple of the slowest rounds I ever played were under those conditions, so I simply don't do it any more.

I walk probably 75% of the time. 100% if I'm by myself. Can't say if I play better or not but I find walking gives me a better perspective of the course and the upcoming shot if that makes any sense.

This may be one of the settling factors. I have almost never played a course where I was required to drive on the cart path except around the tees and greens. Many of the courses don't even have a path anywhere else. When I leave the tee area I drive into the fairway and get on the line to my ball. If I see a visible high traffic area, I try to avoid it if possible, same with any apparent soft or wet areas. But I still drive mostly straight to the ball. I would hate to always have to return to the cart path after every shot. Since pace isn't affected one way or the other unless the course is wide open, I still have plenty of time to look over the hole and experience the environment.

When a course has cart path only in place I won't play. A couple of the slowest rounds I ever played were under those conditions, so I simply don't do it any more.

Most of the courses around here have a 90 degree rule, but most don't adhere to it. I try to stay in the rough if going back to the path doesn't make sense, such as driving to another players ball 75 yards away. IDK, I admire courses like Bethpage Black, their aren't any cart paths on the entire course.

Most of the courses around here have a 90 degree rule, but most don't adhere to it. I try to stay in the rough if going back to the path doesn't make sense, such as driving to another players ball 75 yards away. IDK, I admire courses like Bethpage Black, their aren't any cart paths on the entire course.

Courses I play don't want you driving in the rough. That just beats it down and mats the grass. Unless the fairway is very wet, driving on it does no damage.

I know my back feels better when I walk (not carry though, I have a push cart).

My goal is to walk a lot of rounds this year.

Im always up for walking buddy! Ill have to get me a push cart!

Back