Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
This thread will serve for all discussion and review of the new Supersoft MAGNA golfball.

8f01ddd1daca229bb38df3f7851cab05.jpg

8873db653231fe25ad696c590816d4b9.jpg

So how big is this ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how big is this ball?

So I will dig up my side by side picture, but it’s noticeably bigger when looking compared to another ball but not outrageous. It’s perfect for my 8 year old who is just starting to play

Kind of surprised that a ball larger than standard is conforming. Looking forward to the feedback.

Hmmmm- interesting I'd say. Why steal the name that Top Flite used when they tried the oversized ball shtick several years ago?

This is interesting. Not for me, but i can see the appeal for the market they are going for. Curious to see how this works out for them.

Interesting, for someone that lacks spin, these could help. Anyone have any info as to the spin for these compared to the other offerings?

So I will dig up my side by side picture, but it’s noticeably bigger when looking compared to another ball but not outrageous. It’s perfect for my 8 year old who is just starting to play

As a 41 year old I’m not above putting them in play if they are easier to find and hit.

Kind of surprised that a ball larger than standard is conforming. Looking forward to the feedback.

The ball has a minimum size, but not a maximum. Weight has to stay the same though.

Interesting Concept but unless there is some clear advantage I wouldn't put them in play.

The return of Magna!! I remember these from the '80s (or was it '90s?) when they were sold by Top Flite. If I remember correctly, Magnas were 1.72" in diameter, while standard golf balls (USGA minimum) are 1.68". At one time, British golf balls were 1.62" until the USGA/R&A set the minimum standard at 1.68".

Topflite had a magna ball in the 90s. I can remember using them as a kid.

A number of years ago Top-Flight made a MAGNA oversized golf ball as well. So this isn't anything new.

I do remember those as well. Just did not remember them as being oversized. I was a good ways past being a kid in the 90s so was already anti-TF. Haha

Yellow or matte option ?

The return of Magna!! I remember these from the '80s (or was it '90s?) when they were sold by Top Flite. If I remember correctly, Magnas were 1.72" in diameter, while standard golf balls (USGA minimum) are 1.68". At one time, British golf balls were 1.62" until the USGA/R&A set the minimum standard at 1.68".

I think I might still have one in my shag bag in the Nut Cave at home. I'll check tonight & report back

One thing to note about these, these are very very firmly in the super soft/super hot category. Really targeted at the beginner golfer, or someone who’s not going to benefit from a higher end urethane ball.

I’ve got a sleeve I’ll be playing around with to hopefully provide some more feedback with.

Interesting Concept but unless there is some clear advantage I wouldn't put them in play.

CG is now higher than a standard golf ball so it’s easier to get up in the air off the deck. If you struggle with topping shots or thin shots, this ball would be nice to try out.

I’ll probably grab a sleeve of these to try out sometime. It’s fun to experiment!

I dig these, maybe not for me, but I think these would be great for my wife or someone starting out.

Just need to have colors for her.

I guess I can see where this would be good for beginners.

More trajectory and distance. People with slower swing speeds and beginners will really benefit from these.

As soon as I can make it happen I'm going to play with my wife or one of the kids and have them play this ball. I'll report back

More trajectory and distance. People with slower swing speeds and beginners will really benefit from these.

As soon as I can make it happen I'm going to play with my wife or one of the kids and have them play this ball. I'll report back

Bigger ball more distance? I would have thought it would have been the other way around, smaller ball further distance? I remember way back when OEM's made smaller 'womens' golf balls and lots of people were playing them because they went further than the traditional ball.

Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

Bigger ball more distance? I would have thought it would have been the other way around, smaller ball further distance? I remember way back when OEM's made smaller 'womens' golf balls and lots of people were playing them because they went further than the traditional ball.

Better aerodynamics, easier to hit the ball, better contact= longer ball flight.

Better aerodynamics than way back when I mean.

I think this is one of those products that's going to have its skeptics, but for the people this works for, they're going to absolutely love it. We had some very unseasonably warm weather on 1/1, so I was able to get 9 holes in with my wife and brought one of the SuperSoft Magna balls along for her to try in different conditions. Since I only brought the one, I focused on performance around and on the green. That's one area she will occasionally struggle with - especially hitting a chip a groove or two low and rolling through the green.

It was only a handful of swings, but I saw a marked improvement for her around the green and on short irons. As for putting, she made all three of the putts she tried with it, from 5-10 feet. For people who tend to see that thin miss around the green and with the wedge, this might be one of those things that can really be a quick fix for them.

Once these are available I'll probably buy a dozen for her to play with. I'll also put this in play a bit, but I don't know if I'm the right person to be providing input, as I sure don't need height.

I think more distance here is qualified a bit - if you're not launching the ball high enough, you're not going to get the distance you should be at that speed. For the people this ball helps I think it will help a lot. But there's definitely people who this ball is absolutely not for.

Back