Can anyone compare Cleveland Classic putters to higher end putters like Cameron?

TheFlyingWASP

Reaction score
Handicap
Sold my Newport 2 putter a few months ago for the latest & greatest 2 Ball Counterbalanced Gimick & am regretting it. Don't mind spending $300 on a putter, but i keep hearing how surprised people are by these Cleveland Classics? I'm no putter snob. I played an old BeCu Anser 2 for years. I have grown accustomed to a somewhat heavier putter, but some of the ones out now are crazy heavy. Anyway, anyone tried the Cleveland Classic 1? Still gaming it? How do they stack up to the high dollar putters?

Cleveland makes great putters.

Sold my Newport 2 putter a few months ago for the latest & greatest 2 Ball Counterbalanced Gimick & am regretting it. Don't mind spending $300 on a putter, but i keep hearing how surprised people are by these Cleveland Classics? I'm no putter snob. I played an old BeCu Anser 2 for years. I have grown accustomed to a somewhat heavier putter, but some of the ones out now are crazy heavy. Anyway, anyone tried the Cleveland Classic 1? Still gaming it? How do they stack up to the high dollar putters?

I own 3 Cleveland Classics and a couple Smart Square Clevelands and they putt just as well as any Scotty I've owned, although the Scotty's are prettier. Check out the new Cleveland 2135 as well, they are top notch quality and the 2135 technology just makes sense. At $129 they are one of the best value's out there.

Cleveland-TFI-2135-Putters-32.jpg

The ONLY thing that matters is how you like it and how YOU putt with it. That's it dude, roll what works for you and brings you happiness on the course.

I love Cleveland putters. Great price point, solid putter, and looks that suit my eye.

Everyone will have their own opinion. Roll one, try one out, see how they work for you. That is all that really matters.

Cleveland does make great putters. My personal preference is for their TFI line of putters (2135 6.5, CB 2135 8.0, CB Smart Square ) but their classics are loved my many. Presently 2 of 3 putters in my putter rotation are the 8.0 and the Smart Square. There are absolutly no quality issues and their cost is WELL below many of the other putter lines.

It's different fore every individual and it comes down to what head shape you like, what kind of milling depth suits your ears/hands, and how the finish looks to your eyes.

I think higher quality manufacturing processes are in place for Scotty no different than what I experienced with Never Compromise compared to Cleveland. I don't like the sound they produce and that ruined any chance of me gaming one of their milled putters, however I had a great time reviewing the Cleveland Classic 1i putter with the insert. That thing was fantastic.

I own 3 Cleveland Classics and a couple Smart Square Clevelands and they putt just as well as any Scotty I've owned, although the Scotty's are prettier. Check out the new Cleveland 2135 as well, they are top notch quality and the 2135 technology just makes sense. At $129 they are one of the best value's out there.

Cleveland-TFI-2135-Putters-32.jpg
I have not rolled their Classic putters. I own a Scotty Squareback and a Cleveland TFI 2135 8.0. I rolled the 2135 1.0 model - which is similar in appearance to the Classic 1 - a good amount. My thoughts:

+ Scotty: gorgeous putter with higher end appearnce, the weighting/balance feels great to me, the cache of bagging a Scotty
- Scoty: expensive, pretty firm feel off the face, Customer Service
+ Cleveland 2135 1.0: Crazy reasonable price, best feeling face I've experienced, the alignment technology works, I like the stock head cover, the weighting/balance feels great to me.
- Cleveland 2135 1.0: maybe a little more utilitarian looking putter finish, you can't use the back of the putter to scoop the ball out of the hole.

I love my Scotty but the Cleveland has knocked it out of the bag. I love my Cleveland but can't bring myself to part with the Scotty.

I had a classic for a few months. Got it used at golfsmith for $40, should have never gotten rid of it

I have loved my Cleveland classics and the smart square. Had another golfer try it,then handed me his Black Series Tour Design #2 told me to keep it. Haha

I have putters from both Scotty and Cleveland. I can miss putts with both.

Get what you like and what suits your eye. No bad choices there.

Love my classic 2. Rotates like most similar putters I have rolled. Soft face with enough pop to roll smooth. I've hit plenty of Cameron's and other high end putters. It's all about confidence. I must have a low cost of confidence :)

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I had 1 about 5 years ago. Not sure how much if any they have changed since then, but I find the odyssey I have now much more forgiving on off center hits. I know it's a putter, but still. Fyiw, I think the pings are the better in this category, but haven't changed to one yet.

As has been said before, it's all about what you like. Go try the Cleveland putters for yourself and see what you think. I personally will be picking up a 2135 later this year. Love playing around with it in the stores.

Went out today & rolled every putter imaginable. 4 or 5 different Odyssey's, 2 Clevelands, 3 Pings, a few TaylorMades, a See More... Nothing came close to the feel of the good old comfortable Newport 2. I didn't want to spend that much (again) but it's what I've always played & what I'm comfortable with (and that's half the battle w/ the putter). So new Scotty in the bag...

I have a Cleveland Classic face milled #2 (their equivalent of an Odyssey #9) and I think it's a really great putter. It has great feel, and feels incredibly well balanced. While it's not currently in my bag, it lost out to a putter that sold new for a MUCH higher price point. I would argue that a Cleveland Classic, whether the insert version or the milled, can and will hang with any other top drawer putter in terms of looks and build quality. It really does come down to individual feel and personal confidence. If you took away my Black Series Tour Design, I'd go back to my Cleveland Classic, no questions asked.

Back