Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

The only thing that I can think of that would make these balls better would be a THP logo stamp on the side! Chrome Soft are the real deal. I cant wait to try the new version coming out this season!

I still love this ball but I did run into a rather annoying issue yesterday at the golf SIM.
12694662_1122103141133778_5855424854837284730_o_zps0wstmlv9.jpg

Both balls were from the same sleeve so I am hoping it is just a bad sleeve. Both balls were new when I hit them and both were cracked with my XR driver on center/close to center face hits. Both balls had less than a round's worth of hits when they cracked. I'd like to think it was my swing changes that allowed me to generate a lot more power but I highly doubt that. First time I have had this issue with any ball.

I still love this ball but I did run into a rather annoying issue yesterday at the golf SIM.

Both balls were from the same sleeve so I am hoping it is just a bad sleeve. Both balls were new when I hit them and both were cracked with my XR driver on center/close to center face hits. Both balls had less than a round's worth of hits when they cracked. I'd like to think it was my swing changes that allowed me to generate a lot more power but I highly doubt that. First time I have had this issue with any ball.

DAMN! Care to share those swing changes? Haha!

iSklcG5m.jpg

I would tweet those photos to Callaway. I'd guess they would want to replace the ASAP. Nothing gets results like bad Twitter pub.

I finally saw some Truvis versions of these on Friday (the previous ball, not the 2016 one) and nearly picked up a dozen but I think I will wait until I eventually get to the course and use the plain ones I already have first and then see if the new 2016 Truvis or yellow ones have hit the stores over here

I would tweet those photos to Callaway. I'd guess they would want to replace the ASAP. Nothing gets results like bad Twitter pub.

Considering how good Callaway customer service is anyway, I don't see the need to go that drastic with this. A simple private message to Callaway with the pics would probably be sufficient, and also make them aware of a possible issue

I sent a message to Callaway through facebook, I don't use twitter. I'm more curious to see if anyone else was having issues or if it was just me.

I sent a message to Callaway through facebook, I don't use twitter. I'm more curious to see if anyone else was having issues or if it was just me.

I certainly haven't seen that issue with any ball to be honest

Where had you kept these balls stored? They hadn't been subject to extreme temperature changes or anything like that had they? I am just curious to know if taking them from the cold to a warmer environment (guessing it would be warmer if you were hitting in a sim) can cause this severe a reaction to then being hit?

I certainly haven't seen that issue with any ball to be honest

Where had you kept these balls stored? They hadn't been subject to extreme temperature changes or anything like that had they? I am just curious to know if taking them from the cold to a warmer environment (guessing it would be warmer if you were hitting in a sim) can cause this severe a reaction to then being hit?

They've been kept at a constant temperature or as close to as possible even so I've played in the cold before (<32f) with ball and clubs having a significant change in temperature and I never had this issue. That's what has me confused about this. One cracked ball and I write it off, two within an hour though is concerning. I have one left from that sleeve and I'm tempted to try that one next time I am there. I know its the ball because I changed to another ball and it lasted fine, it was also one I used previously at the same sim.

What's interesting is I am looking at the balls side by side and the crack is nearly identical in each.

Definitely holler at Callaway if you haven't already.

Definitely holler at Callaway if you haven't already.

I sent them a message on facebook with the picture, I don't use twitter. Probably won't get a reply until tomorrow.

They've been kept at a constant temperature or as close to as possible even so I've played in the cold before (<32f) with ball and clubs having a significant change in temperature and I never had this issue. That's what has me confused about this. One cracked ball and I write it off, two within an hour though is concerning. I have one left from that sleeve and I'm tempted to try that one next time I am there. I know its the ball because I changed to another ball and it lasted fine, it was also one I used previously at the same sim.

What's interesting is I am looking at the balls side by side and the crack is nearly identical in each.

Yeah, definitely interesting and I will be curious to know what sort of a response you get as it is unusual to see something like that

I would almost be tempted to take a saw to the last one in the sleeve and see if you can see any defect in the core that might cause the splitting...

I did the same thing a week ago at my buddies Simulator. Its not just Chrome Softs. He has a bucket with a good 100 balls in it that are all cracked. They are all different brands. The one ball to never split has been the Pro V1.

I sent them a message on facebook with the picture, I don't use twitter. Probably won't get a reply until tomorrow.
Nearest thing we can tell it has something to do with hitting the Sim screen.

Nearest thing we can tell it has something to do with hitting the Sim screen.

I was thinking maybe it had to do with the screen, I looked behind the screen after the second one and there was enough room that it wasn't hitting the wall behind it. Funny you mentioned the pro v1, thats the ball I switched to and haven't had an issue yet with one. I've tried bridgestone's, nike's and wilsons as well and none have had an issue. Luckily I haven't seen this on the course because I plan on using the chrome soft this year. The engineer in me would love to know the root cause and do a full analysis which is what I am hoping Callaway can tell me.

I was thinking maybe it had to do with the screen, I looked behind the screen after the second one and there was enough room that it wasn't hitting the wall behind it. Funny you mentioned the pro v1, thats the ball I switched to and haven't had an issue yet with one. I've tried bridgestone's, nike's and wilsons as well and none have had an issue. Luckily I haven't seen this on the course because I plan on using the chrome soft this year. The engineer in me would love to know the root cause and do a full analysis which is what I am hoping Callaway can tell me.
I have never seen a ball failure oncourse and neither has the Sim owner who is a big time player but both of us can crack balls on the sim. Sometimes the balls hit cross pieces in the framing, but there really is no clear cut cause for the failures, I should go through the pile of balls and catalog all the models that fail and see if there is a pattern in the construction methods.

#TooStrong

Sorry to hear about your Chrome Soft cracking. If you don't hear back from Customer Service tomorrow, let me know. Happy to replace those with a dozen of the new Chrome Soft ••.

Appreciate your support of Callaway.

Dave Neville
Callaway Golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your Chrome Soft cracking. If you don't hear back from Customer Service tomorrow, let me know. Happy to replace those with a dozen of the new Chrome Soft ••.

Dave Neville
Callaway Golf

You're the man DNevs. Well done

Dave Neville
Callaway Golf

DNevs coming through on a Sunday! Wow.

Dave Neville
Callaway Golf

Well done!

Callaway is awesome.

I've been playing the Supersofts for the past 1.5 yrs and have no issues with the ball. Game has improved and feel like it's time to try something with a bit more green side spin. I was going to pick up the new chrome softs but noticed the previous gen is now $32. Any opinions? Try the older version or just go with new one?

Quick update on my issue. A very helpful woman named Jeanie I believe called my about my issue. They got the two balls plus the third from the sleeve and I just got a dozen of the 2016 chromesofts delivered to me today. Callaway as usual is awesome, they really didn't have to do that, I honestly just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

Just picked up a dozen of the last years model on sale.

Back