Pears journey with the Wilson V6 irons

Pears

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
20 Grint
Ok everyone, back in November, I was the lucky winner of the Wilson Staff V6 raw irons from THP.

Im starting this thread to have a place to document my journey. I live in Wisconsin, so outdoor use at this time of year just isn't happening, soooo.... I put together a little something in my basement for me to get some winter swings in.

My initial thought of these irons is that these are very, very nice clean looking irons. Picking them up, I can immediately notice an overall weight difference per club from my Cobra F6 irons. I wasn't sure what to think about that right away, but after a few dry swings I could tell that the Wilsons have a very fluid, smooth swinging feel to them. They, while swinging feel very balanced. My Cobra's at times felt, whippy, if that's is the word I'm looking for. I felt maybe I was over powering/swinging the clubs. The Wilsons feel like a better fit for me.

Ball striking indoors at the moment, both the Wilsons and the Cobra's on pure ball strikes feel very similar, nice and soft( PURE being the key word for me). With the Cobra's, I notice with mis-hits the ball strike feels a bit firm but still softish at the same time. The ball strike on a mis-hit with the Wilsons is very noticeable, very firm, solid. You definitely know you missed. With that said, I feel that the Wilson V6 iron will make me a better ball striker because of the feedback I get on missed hits.

Like I said, I wanted to start this up to get a place for me to keep track of my progress with these irons. I will add more with the more I'm able to use them. For now, enjoy the picture of my indoor set up!!

Now I know it isn't much, but the area rug really adds color. It also doubles as a putting mat with the different circles to putt to for a challenge.... lol

0103191431.jpg

Look forward to following along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look forward to following along

Well, I hope I can at least provide a decent read. I've never done a review for anything like this before, or anything for that matter. I'm definitely not going to be worried about my comments, I have no reason to fluff my thoughts.

Well, I hope I can at least provide a decent read. I've never done a review for anything like this before, or anything for that matter. I'm definitely not going to be worried about my comments, I have no reason to fluff my thoughts.

Say whatever you fell
Give of some pictures of the irons

Say whatever you fell
Give of some pictures of the irons

Will do, I'm curious to see how fast they rust.

Here is day one: shiny and new

1229181334a.jpg

Look forward to seeing how this goes for you Pears. Glad you’re documenting the experience from GI to “players” clubs.

I second this. I'm also curious about which shafts are in your F6's for comparison sake.

New and shiny indeed! Looking forward to following along. The V6 is a fun head and the raw is really cool.

I LOVE the look of those irons! Good luck and looking forward to hearing about your journey!

I second this. I'm also curious about which shafts are in your F6's for comparison sake.

Not sure what " brand" Cobra used for these. Shafts in my F6's are their s-flex stock steel.

I think the stock F6 was by FST (who owns KBS I believe).

Beauty irons Pears, hope you like them and I am looking forward to your thoughts. Don't hold back because I am pondering that head for myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Its been a couple days, so Ill get this back on top.

Continuing to use my basement set up. Im probably hitting 50-75 balls a day. I am hitting iron for iron between the F6 Cobra's and the Wilson V6's to really give my best thoughts on the set.

I thought this would be beneficial though, I pulled some numbers to show loft and weight differences between the sets.

Wilson V6 ------------ Cobra F6

4- 24* D2.5
5- 27* D2.5 ---------- 5- 23* D2
6- 31* D2.5 ---------- 6- 26.75* D2
7- 35* D2.5 ---------- 7- 30.5* D2
8- 39* D2.5 ---------- 8- 35.25* D2
9- 43* D2.5 ---------- 9- 40* D2
PW- 47* D3 ---------- PW- 45* D3
GW- 51* D3

As you can see, there is a nice difference between the two sets. I'm sure with a little note taking and a little outdoor range time I'll have the clubs figured out.

I love this thread! Well done, Pears.

Thank you. Really sucks that I cant get outside to give a real use review though.

One thing I will say that I forgot to. The Wilsons have their stock standard grip on them, where as the Cobra's all have Golf Pride Tour wrap midsize on them. For now Im not going to change the grips, but may in the future. I really don't notice any performance difference other than hand feel a the moment.

Had another little session today so I'll bump this up for those interested.

Keep in mind that my set up only allows for a 5 foot ball flight so everything in my review at this time is purely by feel only.

I am continuing to notice with the two sets that clean ball strikes feel almost identical, Cobra's are a touch softer. Again, mis-hits with the Wilsons are more noticeable than with the Cobra's. It was commented above that the Cobra's are a game improvement club, and the Wilson's are a players club.

I believe the deal breaker at the moment, are the shafts used between the sets. They both have stiff, steel shafts, but the KBS shafts in the Wilson's are noticeably stiffer than those in the cobra's. Which explains the greater feedback on the Wilson's.

With that said, I wonder how the sets would feel with the same shaft installed? That's not something I am able to do or attempt, so I wont know, but it makes me wonder anyway. I will say that I do prefer the feel of the Wilson's over the Cobra's due to that feedback received. IMO, that will make me or anyone a better golfer.

For now, I think I this is all I can really give for a review until I'm able to get outside( a couple months from now unfortunately).

Looking forward to following along.

Are you planning on letting nature take its course with your irons or are you going to attempt to alter the process in any way?
The reason why I ask is that with raw wedges some guys use a Coke bath to accelerate the rusting process and give the heads a more even color. For me, my OCD kicks in. I slow down the process on my raw wedges by using a baking soda paste rinsed with hot water and dried thoroughly after every round.

BTW, I feel for you guys that have "winter". We've had quite a bit of rain over the last couple of weeks with more forecast for next week and I'm already tired of carpet putting. I can't imagine going for months without swinging a club outside.

Duffer, I will let these rust naturally. I want to see the progress happen.

As for cleaning, I will take care of them as I normally do. If they are horrible, I'll clean them. I'm not a guy that will deep clean after every use, unless they absolutely need it. Even then usually not till the night before I go out for a round. Natural progression brother! Lol

Alright, I'm bringing this back from the dead!!

Local courses are open, so I hit a range today.

Quick recap, for those that don't want to read the whole thread, I am comparing my set of Cobra F6 irons and my set of Wilson V6 irons. Game improvement vs "players" clubs.

My first range session with the Wilson's clubs was pleasing. Soft feel, controlled and just a nice swinging club throughout the set. I liked how responsive they were on miss hits, I knew exactly where I struck the ball. Really the same as I have been seeing all winter inside, just now I can see distance.

My personal opinion between the two sets? In my hands they are almost identical, other than the lofts are about a club different. I don't feel as though one set is easier or harder to use at this time. Maybe on course I'll see something to change my mind, ( most likely the club lofting ) but who knows.

I'll keep this updated as I go.

Well, I was able to get out today for my first 9 hole round. 50* and windy, but got out none the less.

I will start off by saying that these irons feel very nice. I have been saying that this entire review, and getting them on the course didn't change that feeling what so ever.

I walked onto the course and played as normal. I didn't think at all about the lofts being different per club ( vs my F6 clubs ), just went out and played my game. I actually expected to need more club up to be honest, due to the lofts, but that wasn't the case. The ball flight I saw with these Wilsons was higher than I'm used to, but distance was right there. I'm sure some will question that, myself included. More of a disbelief on my part.

Obviously I need more time with these, but after today I see no real difference yet in my old GI clubs vs these players clubs. I will continue to add to this thread the more I get out.

I at least hope to give a decent review along the way. Thanks for reading.

Got out today again for a short round. I played my irons pretty well today.

For review purposes: I don't feel that these irons play an better or worse than my previous set, nor are they any harder to use. Granted the club head is smaller from my other clubs but that has not bothered me one bit. They are an all around solid club, nothing more or less. I very much think that these clubs could be used, and enjoyed by almost anyone. Not sure why they carry a higher price tag.

I by no means am a great golfer, my comments here are purely my opinion so please take them as such.

Love the Cobra/Wilson Staff/Trusty Rusty mix in that bag!

Love the Cobra/Wilson Staff/Trusty Rusty mix in that bag!

The Trusty has been removed for now, still have it though. I picked up a 56 and a 60 degree Callaway MD3 wedge, on the fence with those to be honest. May just put the trusty back in the bag and sell the Callaways.

Last edited:
I'm going to bump this up again. Possible the last time for a while.

Went out today for an 18 hole round, walked and was by my self. Shot a 97, a few strokes higher than normal.

I went into this review for these clubs pretty nervous, I was previously using game improvement irons and pretty much dove right in with these players irons. Surprisingly though, I have adapted to them very well and haven't had any negative results. I'm not a club guru of any sort, and am every bit a hacker as anyone else. I really do think that anyone could use these clubs with no issues.

Yes there are some differences, thinner top line, smaller head, traditional lofts. I'm sure others could add more club info, but like I said. I'm no guru.

If anyone would like to add to this or ask any questions, please feel free.

Back