Anyone ever lost a club (or clubs) to PORCH PIRATES?

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just had a club delivered to my brother's house after an eBay purchase. I received notice that it had been delivered in the morning, knowing full well my brother wouldn't be home until evening. I couldn't help fretting over it for several hours, especially after seeing all of the videos of people stealing packages during the Christmas season. I did see a conversation online where people were starting to fill Amazon boxes with dog turds, and leaving those on the porch! lol

I just had a club delivered to my brother's house after an eBay purchase. I received notice that it had been delivered in the morning, knowing full well my brother wouldn't be home until evening. I couldn't help fretting over it for several hours, especially after seeing all of the videos of people stealing packages during the Christmas season. I did see a conversation online where people were starting to fill Amazon boxes with dog turds, and leaving those on the porch! lol

Best one I've seen is a guy (a NASA rocket scientist BTW) that built a "package" with cell phones aimed in 4 directions to capture the thieves faces and track the package via the GPS in the phones and the finest glitter he could find. Once the thieves took the package, the movement turned the phones on so the GPS would start tracking. When they pulled the top off, he had switches to turn the cameras on and start the container holding the glitter spinning to throw the glitter all over the inside of their car, then he also had a can of fart spray rigged to spray like 5 times inside their car! It's awesome.

To answer the OP, I have not had the problem here in OK. I read a while back that a guy out here shot someone breaking into his neighbor's house and wasn't even charged. I'd assume that plays at least a small part in it. I don't remember ordering any golf clubs when I lived in NJ (at least when I didn't live in military housing). When I was there, I wouldn't have been surprised if I had clubs stolen. Heck, someone stole a TREE out of our yard when I lived in Jersey!

I have not but have had friends who have lost clubs to porch pirates. I tend to send things to my work instead.

when ordering stuff if significant value its convenient when you live near enough one the hibs for the given shipping company. Like a fedex or ups or a usps. That way you can have it requested that you will pick it up in person at the facility. The other option is to require delivery signature (meaning if no one is home they don't leave it) or they leave with a neighbor who is home and in their house.

With the on line shopping industry nowadays dominating how so many people now shop, I feel this door package thief thing is just bound to be getting even worse and worse. It wouldn't surprise me that soon enough every package will have to be signed for or picked up at a facility. There is just too much thievery and no one can be trusted.

Haha - I saw the glitter bomb; that was awesome!

when ordering stuff if significant value its convenient when you live near enough one the hibs for the given shipping company. Like a fedex or ups or a usps. That way you can have it requested that you will pick it up in person at the facility. The other option is to require delivery signature (meaning if no one is home they don't leave it) or they leave with a neighbor who is home and in their house.

With the on line shopping industry nowadays dominating how so many people now shop, I feel this door package thief thing is just bound to be getting even worse and worse. It wouldn't surprise me that soon enough every package will have to be signed for or picked up at a facility. There is just too much thievery and no one can be trusted.
This is good advice. One of the items I ordered for the holidays was very expensive and I did not want to risk not having it to give to its recipient. Once it shipped, I was able to alter the delivery instructions to hold for pick-up at a local Walgreens! Not only was it convenient but I didn't have to worry about being home for the delivery.

When I was back in Houston, the local news had a whole segment dedicated to showing thieves caught on camera stealing packages. I believe you're right though; if they don't start doling out some major penalties, it'll keep getting worse. Before the Amazon days, I was so surprised that UPS and FedEX would start leaving packages on the porch with no signature. Now they just leave it outside even when you're home...

Back