Trying To Break 90 Club

That's weird, I just popped in to check out this thread. I've already broken 90 multiple times, but I'm located just east of St. Louis on the IL side.

Same here; I'm in Edwardsville.

Might have to tee it up with you guys one day. Graduated from SIU Carbondale two years ago and I pop out there from time to time. Nice courses between Cdale and Murphysboro also

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Might have to tee it up with you guys one day. Graduated from SIU Carbondale two years ago and I pop out there from time to time. Nice courses between Cdale and Murphysboro also

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

I live right in the middle of those two courses, but consider Hickory more my home course. Hit me up when you come to town and maybe we can get in a round.

I'll start a new thread in the events forum and post a link in here sometime today. Maybe some more THP'ers from the area will jump in and we can get a little unofficial event going.

I live right in the middle of those two courses, but consider Hickory more my home course. Hit me up when you come to town and maybe we can get in a round.

I'll start a new thread in the events forum and post a link in here sometime today. Maybe some more THP'ers from the area will jump in and we can get a little unofficial event going.
If there isn't one out there already, you guys should start a local thread. Great way to organize outings, talk courses and scores with other THPers in your area.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

47/50-97 yesterday. Paired up with a group of retired guys who like to take 3 or 4 shots and only write down 1. Driver was working great but irons were thin all day.

One of the seniors lost his temper on 11 when he pulled his drive OB, turned and threw his driver as hard as he could - right at my bag, which was on a pull cart. Thankfully the pull cart handle snapped his driver in half before it hit my clubs. He apologized and I let it go. Made for a less-than-fun back 9 as he played poorly and continued to be angry about it.

47/50-97 yesterday. Paired up with a group of retired guys who like to take 3 or 4 shots and only write down 1. Driver was working great but irons were thin all day.

One of the seniors lost his temper on 11 when he pulled his drive OB, turned and threw his driver as hard as he could - right at my bag, which was on a pull cart. Thankfully the pull cart handle snapped his driver in half before it hit my clubs. He apologized and I let it go. Made for a less-than-fun back 9 as he played poorly and continued to be angry about it.

That sucks man, especially this time of the year when the chances we have to go are few and far between. I'm headed to my tee time now.

46/48 for a 94. Winter golf is firmly here in Thailand 17*C when we tee'd off. I've never played here in anything other than shorts and polo shirt, this morning was long pants and 1/4 zip fleece. The wind was brutal. Had two water balls and a couple of dodgy iron shots. The water balls contributed to my blow up holes.

I started reading "Golf is not a game of perfect" two days ago. One big tip that seems to be helping is pick a small target and go for it. That seemed to be working this morning especially off the tee. I'd look for a tree in line of where I wanted to be, picked a branch, took a final look then just swung the driver, no thoughts other than my target. I'll give this another whirl on Wednesday morning. I was also telling myself during my short game shots and putting the ball was going in the hole, not quite as successful but standing there with positive thoughts as opposed to is it or isn't thoughts make a difference.

It was a really enjoyable round on a course that has fairly tight fairways and very undulating greens of varying speeds. High light was the Par 5 third hole playing at 515 yards, drive straight down the middle at 302 followed up with a 4 Hybrid to the left edge of the green, walked off with par after a dodgy couple of putts. Our golf society has their monthly tournament there this Wednesday, so am looking forward to that.

46/48 for a 94. Winter golf is firmly here in Thailand 17*C when we tee'd off. I've never played here in anything other than shorts and polo shirt, this morning was long pants and 1/4 zip fleece. The wind was brutal.

I put shorts on at 14*c, so give me that 17*c any day.

I put shorts on at 14*c, so give me that 17*c any day.

I use to be like that. Now I'm acclimatized anything below 25*c is cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out yesterday for a quick 9 before the Super Bowl and had the course completely to myself. Shot 49.

It was a maddening 9 holes. I hit the $#!% out of the driver - better than I've ever hit the thing. Hit 100% of fairways and was between 280 and 300y every time.

My irons and SIH completely failed. Nearly every iron was thin. Couldn't sort that out. Zero GIRs.

16 putts on 9 holes; no 3 putts. Just could not hit an iron or a pitch shot to save my life.

Snowing today and cold all week... back to the range once the weather improves.

So, my round Sunday morning was a complete disaster blow up round. I started out strong and was like 3 or 4 over through 7. Then the wheels flew off and started the double and triple train. Ended up shooting a 103 and played like an absolute head case. 1 bad shot turned into a long line of them. I HAVE TO GET BETTER ABOUT THIS!

I couldn't end my day that way so I went to another course, which is a tougher course, and somewhat got myself straightened out. I started to get off the tee better and short game came back. I still hit my irons fat, but they're new and I just need a little range time to adjust to them. I ended up shooting a 93 and felt a little better about not be able to play for a little while.

So, my round Sunday morning was a complete disaster blow up round. I started out strong and was like 3 or 4 over through 7. Then the wheels flew off and started the double and triple train. Ended up shooting a 103 and played like an absolute head case. 1 bad shot turned into a long line of them. I HAVE TO GET BETTER ABOUT THIS!

I couldn't end my day that way so I went to another course, which is a tougher course, and somewhat got myself straightened out. I started to get off the tee better and short game came back. I still hit my irons fat, but they're new and I just need a little range time to adjust to them. I ended up shooting a 93 and felt a little better about not be able to play for a little while.

Nice rebound in round 2. What was your main miss(es) in round 1.

Nice rebound in round 2. What was your main miss(es) in round 1.

I think my brain was missing for most of it! Really though, I was just hitting everything fat, fat, fat! I hate hitting fat shots and it just started to snowball. I think I just wasn't getting posted up on my lead leg and collapsing on my back side. I wasn't bad off the tee for most of the round until frustration took over and then I got a case of the snap hooks, which is completely backwards for me so I'll take that with a grain of salt and trust it won't be something that becomes the norm. I actually got excited when I caught one a little thin it was so bad.

Well that's a nice comeback. Yup, those bad strokes are hard to get out of the head

Well that's a nice comeback. Yup, those bad strokes are hard to get out of the head

That's where dr bobs book golf is not a game of perfect comes in. I've never really thought of the mental aspect before but that book is just filling me with confidence and positivity.

Get rid of the short term memories of bad shots and replace them with long term memories of good shots. Visualize where the ball is going, forget swing thoughts and just swing.

I think my brain was missing for most of it! Really though, I was just hitting everything fat, fat, fat! I hate hitting fat shots and it just started to snowball. I think I just wasn't getting posted up on my lead leg and collapsing on my back side. I wasn't bad off the tee for most of the round until frustration took over and then I got a case of the snap hooks, which is completely backwards for me so I'll take that with a grain of salt and trust it won't be something that becomes the norm. I actually got excited when I caught one a little thin it was so bad.
I had a similar issue the last time out. Got the snap hooks off the tee about halfway through my round and noticed I was not getting my weight to the front foot. Felt like I was hanging back on the rear leg, almost like a baseball swing. I always need to focus on tempo now transition too...Ugh!

I had a similar issue the last time out. Got the snap hooks off the tee about halfway through my round and noticed I was not getting my weight to the front foot. Felt like I was hanging back on the rear leg, almost like a baseball swing. I always need to focus on tempo now transition too...Ugh!

Exactly! So frustrating, seemed like when I focused on good contact and getting up on my lead leg I was throwing darts. When I didn't, I was 20-30 yards short of the greens or hitting a big snap hook off the tee.

My tempo is usually pretty good, my body alignment usually gets me and now transition. I've been working a lot on alignment and takeaway this winter and then transition goes. Seems like every time you get one thing ironed out something else goes. Such a viscous cycle!

Played 89 today including 5 penalties and 33 putts.

I have been away from the thread for awhile due to the bad weather the past few weeks. I'm back posting sub 90s again but can't quite put it all together in a round.

I am swinging much better lately. Realized I have a big alignment issue. I was aimed lots of yards right and compensating to get the ball "on line". It feels weird but working.

Any tips to get tee shots, irons, short game, and putting clicking at same time? I guess that's why we are all here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455082445.934665.jpg

TGC scores don't count, kidding, nice round with the 5 penalties.

ha ha thanks... It ended up being 4 penalties but still... lucky my putting and my drives were good. I couldnt dial anything from 170-in which is usually a strong point.

I have been getting close to breaking the barrier over the last few months (couple of 92s, 93, seems primarily driven by a change of my driver to the WS D200, from the RBZ Stage 2 (just couldn't hit that thing straight!).
I have a few nemesis holes on my course, which i struggle with so much and have now fixations on tree lines/water....

how do you guys keep track of everything?? - i use a colour coded spreadsheet (can see the offending holes - 1(should be easy), 4 (tee shot hook to trees),6(water), 15:angry:

Cheers
Rich.

Back