2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a bit of trouble keeping the knees in place at the beginning of the ascent.

Saw that on Facebook. For us untrained novices, what about that upsets you?
The number of reps. I wanted more. It's only 345 and I feel like I should have been able to bang out more than 6. Also, I lose some tightness at the bottom which diminishes the stretch reflex.
Looks like a bit of trouble keeping the knees in place at the beginning of the ascent.
On a few, yeah that happens. Rep 3 was darn near perfect. If I could have stayed in my hips longer on 1 and 2 I wouldn't have had to cut it short.

How is paladin too upright? He looks fine to me. Shouldn't we take his measurements into consideration?

Not everyone will look exactly the same and still have good form.

How is paladin too upright? He looks fine to me. Shouldn't we take his measurements into consideration?

Not everyone will look exactly the same and still have good form.

Look at his heels. They come up on almost every rep. Which tells me the weight was over his heels at the bottom because of the vertical torso. So he rocks forward onto his toes to get the weight over midfoot. If Paladin had the weight in a high bar position, it would have been centered. That's why I asked what he was intending to do, high or low bar. If he was intending to do high bar, then he had the bar too low. If he was intending to do low bar, then he was too upright.

Look at his heels. They come up on almost every rep. Which tells me the weight was over his heels at the bottom because of the vertical torso. So he rocks forward onto his toes to get the weight over midfoot. If Paladin had the weight in a high bar position, it would have been centered. That's why I asked what he was intending to do, high or low bar. If he was intending to do high bar, then he had the bar too low. If he was intending to do low bar, then he was too upright.
I just watched it again, I can see what you're saying. I also think the bar looks pretty high, I didn't see if it was answered already but are these supposed to be high or low?

I just watched it again, I can see what you're saying. I also think the bar looks pretty high, I didn't see if it was answered already but are these supposed to be high or low?

Supposed to be low. The black shirt makes it hard to tell, but to me, they look alright.

Supposed to be low. The black shirt makes it hard to tell, but to me, they look alright.
Hmm yeah maybe it's just hard to see.

I would shoot a video, so I can share, but tonight it shoulders, nothing to exciting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm yeah maybe it's just hard to see.

Yes it is. Which is another reason why I refrained from commenting on it. But, I think the knee slide needs to be addressed first.

I would shoot a video, so I can share, but tonight it shoulders, nothing to exciting there.

They're not call up wrong rows.

Yes it is. Which is another reason why I refrained from commenting on it. But, I think the knee slide needs to be addressed first.

They're not call up wrong rows.

I'll be sure to do OH Press behind my head, because there's a 98% chance I hurt my self but 100% I'll look cool. Odds are in my favor.

The music upsets me.
Saw that on Facebook. For us untrained novices, what about that upsets you?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

did some shoulder mobility tests/exercises yesterday, and WOW i was definitely lacking in this department. I will definitely put the effort in to working on mobility every night, and hope that it will help alleviate some of the pain that i'm experiencing during squats, along with a better squat form.

shoulder dislocations especially were an eye-opening experience thats for sure!

Last night was kinda a Blah night. Which is weird because I hit all the numbers I was looking for. I just wasn't feeling it. I had a lingering ache in my left shoulder that was kinda a bother all night.

I did OH Press 5-1 going 90-110

Shoulder shrugs, up wrong rows, dumbbell shoulder presses.

On the plus side my back has been feeling great, I really think this/ and the stretching has helped a lot.

well....that did not go as planned. Only completed 1 set of working weight squats today. i did get a video of it for blu though to pick apart. I just don't think i was mentally prepared to be in the gym today for whatever reason, just didn't have it.

For the squat set that i got on video, i tried to get the hands and arms out of the equation, which i "think" i did. However, my upper arm face/tricep was still killing me in my right arm where it always is. Heres some more info, this part of me has always bugged me on squats, and it hurts BEFORE even unracking the bar. Just trying to get in position seems to hurt that specific area, and then doing the squats makes it worse.

The next 2 sets i tried, i laid the bar down on the safety pins on my first squat both times as the bar was sliding down my back. i think my shoulder pain was inhibiting me from retracting scaps enough to create the "shelf". Thats the first time thats ever happened, most likely also because before i was also holding the bar up with my hands.

I'm ready for the criticism on the form, and i'm going to go to physio tonight to see if we can assess and address my shoulder pain. I don't want to have to quit squatting, i love the exercise and the reward, but im hoping im not too far off with my form and getting it to be even slightly more comfortable.

[video=youtube;-g0QR4zk8-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g0QR4zk8-g[/video]

well....that did not go as planned. Only completed 1 set of working weight squats today. i did get a video of it for blu though to pick apart. I just don't think i was mentally prepared to be in the gym today for whatever reason, just didn't have it.

For the squat set that i got on video, i tried to get the hands and arms out of the equation, which i "think" i did. However, my upper arm face/tricep was still killing me in my right arm where it always is. Heres some more info, this part of me has always bugged me on squats, and it hurts BEFORE even unracking the bar. Just trying to get in position seems to hurt that specific area, and then doing the squats makes it worse.

The next 2 sets i tried, i laid the bar down on the safety pins on my first squat both times as the bar was sliding down my back. i think my shoulder pain was inhibiting me from retracting scaps enough to create the "shelf". Thats the first time thats ever happened, most likely also because before i was also holding the bar up with my hands.

I'm ready for the criticism on the form, and i'm going to go to physio tonight to see if we can assess and address my shoulder pain. I don't want to have to quit squatting, i love the exercise and the reward, but im hoping im not too far off with my form and getting it to be even slightly more comfortable.

Hands look like they're in a better place. Overall I think you're pretty solid man.

I was able to run in the new hip today. Of course this after an X-ray steroid shot yesterday that has taken care of the tendinitis. It feels good to keep getting stronger and feel the weight melt away.

Oh good, leg day..

422f7e5efdc25b052e0082bcb767d111.jpg

You're close. You're missing depth by a few inches. That's because your knees travel forward the entire time. Get them in place 1/3 to 1/2 way into your decent. Get your knees to their spot early and leave them there. Once the knees are set, think hips back and not down. You also need to get your chest bigger before you start your decent. Simple things to think about:

Proud chest
Knees and hips together
Then just hips
Hip drive for glory.

Keep your head stiller. I posted a video yesterday about using a TUBOW (terribly useful block of wood). Watch it. If your gym doesn't have a block of wood, use a foam roller.

You will need to Deload, take 20 lbs off of the bar. Bar placement looks good. Maybe widen the hands for comfort for now. Make sure you're locking out your presses and skip rows and do chins/lat pull downs instead.

Last edited:
Started Monday and tonight with 1.5 miles on the elliptical just to get my endurance up and wtf cardio is rough. It's hard for me to run in one spot for so long lol was a good warm up to get started tho.

After that was
Pull ups
Front squats
Romanian deads
Push ups
Farmers carries
Kneeling paloff press
Lateral raises

It's a good in between day for me and I get back to it Friday.

Had a grind of a back workout today. It's 3x8 this week.

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 300lbs

Then did barbell rows, lat pull downs, dumbbell rows, and reverse flys.

I hit all my numbers again tonight, but I'm finding I'm losing motivation halfway thru my workout.

Had a grind of a back workout today. It's 3x8 this week.

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 300lbs

Then did barbell rows, lat pull downs, dumbbell rows, and reverse flys.

I hit all my numbers again tonight, but I'm finding I'm losing motivation halfway thru my workout.

Kinda sounds like you're grinding too much brotha and losing your fire to continue doing so haha like I mentioned before you can stay around 60-80% and still gain strength. There's just no need to grind all the time. (If of course that's what's actually happening)

Kinda sounds like you're grinding too much brotha and losing your fire to continue doing so haha like I mentioned before you can stay around 60-80% and still gain strength. There's just no need to grind all the time. (If of course that's what's actually happening)

300 lbs was my 80%. Part of it tonight was was I got a bloody nose on the 5th rep of my 3rd set of deadlifts, so I had to stop and clean that up, then finish.

But I think it may be a lack of sleep. I've had to get up at 5 for work, then I work outside in single digit temps, come home play with the kids, then don't get to the gym until 7:30ish.

Just got to get adjusted I suppose.

Work got in the way today and traveling for the weekend means no gym tonight. Probably won't get back in until next Tuesday or Wednesday. Break will be ok. Just have to adjust coming back.

300 lbs was my 80%. Part of it tonight was was I got a bloody nose on the 5th rep of my 3rd set of deadlifts, so I had to stop and clean that up, then finish.

But I think it may be a lack of sleep. I've had to get up at 5 for work, then I work outside in single digit temps, come home play with the kids, then don't get to the gym until 7:30ish.

Just got to get adjusted I suppose.

Ah I gotcha. Try another rest day in between. You can still meet your weekly goals and not be as burnt out.

Ah I gotcha. Try another rest day in between. You can still meet your weekly goals and not be as burnt out.

10-4, I'm not working out Friday, I may have to start designating two days a week, as off days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back