2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad it went well for you! My wife does the same thing. Except I and built her a whole workout hitting the areas she wanted to workout. It last a week and she said she didn't like it, it was too hard. So now she will see someone doing at the gym and ask me how/what that is.

I just gave up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife said, "I just want to tone." I said to her, "You need something to tone down to." she understood

I had a awesome workout today. Once I got over the fact I had chest instead of legs, because the racks were taken up. It's honestly days like today I felt unstoppable. And I know it sounds bad but there is something kinda satisfying about someone bigger than you doing less weight.
Bench Press 5-1 (160-180, doing 180 three times on my last set)
Incline dumbbell bench 5-1
Dumbbell chest flys 5-1
Dumbbell bench press 5-1

Increasing my weights through each set and not missing a rep.

I also threw in some light ab workouts between the sets.

And younger. I love watching them throw their weight into every lift and start with their legs. The guys at my gym have more motion in their lifts than the titanic did when it was sinking.

My wife said, "I just want to tone." I said to her, "You need something to tone down to." she understood

Well my wife said the same thing. In her defense she has done a great job working out and has lost 130 lbs, she and I just have different workout ideas.

Gym time with the wife and all the obvious added figure benefits of the squats......Blu is hitting a home run haha

Oh and you can say "seeeee honey wouldnt this be great at the house!"
Hahaha. Very standard, never coach somebody your sleeping with. Especially not somebody you want to continue sleeping with. I had to check myself with her deadlifting. Most forms flaws can be fixed with the proper amount of yelling. That's not an option when you have to kiss that person goodnight.

Hahaha. Very standard, never coach somebody your sleeping with. Especially not somebody you want to continue sleeping with. I had to check myself with her deadlifting. Most forms flaws can be fixed with the proper amount of yelling. That's not an option when you have to kiss that person goodnight.
Ha that made laugh. I can totally picture the scenario. "Hips hips f#cking hips!!!", she just racks and says "couch tonight".

Ha that made laugh. I can totally picture the scenario. "Hips hips f#cking hips!!!", she just racks and says "couch tonight".
Yes. That's the standard progression of the scenario. Same as teaching a Newby girlfriend how to swing a golf club.

Yes. That's the standard progression of the scenario. Same as teaching a Newby girlfriend how to swing a golf club.
Oh if I just had a nickel for every "I cant do anything right" comments. Maybe im unlucky hahaha

Oh if I just had a nickel for every "I cant do anything right" comments. Maybe im unlucky hahaha
Nope. I would have .25¢ after today.

Nope. I would have .25¢ after today.
You know where to put it

342b10fa0ffe9e636360c99fc277b9db.jpg

Deadlift

Deadlift

Pulled 435 today. Wasn't feeling it when warming up but got stronger once I got to 315.

45 minutes of cardio, squats and calves. I stretch for a solid 15 to 20 each day but I'm amazed at how few people especially men spend any time stretching. Do you guys have a stretching routing or just skip that part.

Back & arms day when a couple of busted up fingers is not a lot of fun.

Now this is a thread I need some advice.Any drills I can use at the office to help with my pivot separation-flexibility issues?During quite hours I will lay on my office floor in a runners stance and hold that position until I feel tightness.Meaning upper body turned back,while my lower is rotated open while laying on the floor.Will this help trying to learn a pivot swing motion?Luckily no one has stepped in on my doing this.They might think I'm having a heart attack.Just need some advice from accomplished golfers that work on body flexibility please

Now this is a thread I need some advice.Any drills I can use at the office to help with my pivot separation-flexibility issues?During quite hours I will lay on my office floor in a runners stance and hold that position until I feel tightness.Meaning upper body turned back,while my lower is rotated open while laying on the floor.Will this help trying to learn a pivot swing motion?Luckily no one has stepped in on my doing this.They might think I'm having a heart attack.Just need some advice from accomplished golfers that work on body flexibility please
For a physical awareness type of issue like this, do exactly what you described above, but do it while standing. I don't like walking lunges for strength training, but you can also do that drill with a walking lunge. But a dowel or Barbell on your shoulders. Take a step and turn against the lead leg. It isn't something to for strength gains, but for spacial awareness, it's a good thing.

Good stuff.Im also studying the inner workings of Fascia-and Scapular protraction.These items were mentioned by my teaching pro as a necessity,and kinda homework assignment for me to research.Doing all I can to keep flexible so I can turn and keep the face of the club open and never let it close.The body will close the face for me,so pivot drills are a must.Thanks again

Good stuff.Im also studying the inner workings of Fascia-and Scapular protraction.These items were mentioned by my teaching pro as a necessity,and kinda homework assignment for me to research.Doing all I can to keep flexible so I can turn and keep the face of the club open and never let it close.The body will close the face for me,so pivot drills are a must.Thanks again
You're trying to keep your scapula retracted throughout the golf swing?

Doctor visit over, says hand looks fine so it's a green light to try lifting again tonight. Yes yes yes, excited to get back on track. I'm down a few pounds and sitting at 179 currently but I'm glad to see I didn't lose too much during the last 2 or so weeks.

Well I don't know your office setting, but I've seen people sitting on the big ball instead of a chair. You could also bring in resistance band to work and do a whole combination of exercises and stretches with those.

I wish I had more to offer but I work outside on my feet all day constantly picking up stuff. I can't really be out of shape if I wanted to.

Well I don't know your office setting, but I've seen people sitting on the big ball instead of a chair. You could also bring in resistance band to work and do a whole combination of exercises and stretches with those.

I wish I had more to offer but I work outside on my feet all day constantly picking up stuff. I can't really be out of shape if I wanted to.

Not that anybody asked, but my opinion on this is that Chip just needs to have some physical awareness of how to disconnect his upper and lower body during a swing. Sure, some flexibility helps but I don't think that's what's going to fix it. Just having the awareness of what it feels like will be all of the difference.

When it comes to coaching physical movements, I don't like relying on static positions.

You're trying to keep your scapula retracted throughout the golf swing?
Sorry,I may have butchered a few muscles-body movements.Just learning from a teaching pro and doing the best I can.One area where I'm really focusing is the fascia and next will be improving fast twitch muscles using kettle balls.Really enjoying this thread,well done

Sorry,I may have butchered a few muscles-body movements.Just learning from a teaching pro and doing the best I can.One area where I'm really focusing is the fascia and next will be improving fast twitch muscles using kettle balls.Really enjoying this thread,well done

I am a huge, huge fan of kettlebells as exercise tools, but if you're thinking of using them, make sure you work with someone who's used to teaching with them. As with any ballistic exercise, you can do a lot of damage if you're not doing things right.

I am a huge, huge fan of kettlebells as exercise tools, but if you're thinking of using them, make sure you work with someone who's used to teaching with them. As with any ballistic exercise, you can do a lot of damage if you're not doing things right.
Good point.Thought about buying these and using in my office during breaks.I have some room in front of the desk and will give advanced notice to people who may walk in.Ive also been doing dips on the edge of my desk to add to my runners stance stretch I do on the floor.After blue's recommendation I might even get some Dumbbells and do the stretch on my desk.My pro says the pivot is paramount to my improvement.So I'm going to do all I can to loosen it up so it can put a heck of a smack on that ball

I misread your post. I read retracted instead of protracted. I was worried. Trying to maintain retracted scapulas during a golf swing would make your shoulders very unhappy and your orthopedic surgeon very happy.

Not that anybody asked, but my opinion on this is that Chip just needs to have some physical awareness of how to disconnect his upper and lower body during a swing. Sure, some flexibility helps but I don't think that's what's going to fix it. Just having the awareness of what it feels like will be all of the difference.

When it comes to coaching physical movements, I don't like relying on static positions.

While I agree 100% with you, adding a little exercise to your workday is never a bad thing. Personally I couldn't imagine just sitting in an office all day.

I also agree that, light exercise isn't going to drastically change you golf swing for the better. Not that I've played outside but the few sim rounds I've had, I haven't noticed a difference in my swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back