Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost approaching by 17th swing-game overhaul lesson tomorrow.We have moved on from the swing to all short game now.His approach to the short game is so so simple and I'm making the most progress in this part of the game.Basically addressing all chips-pitches-lobs like a putt with the putter grip.I open the face slightly and use a stiff wristed motion.The ball pops up nicely every time.I used to shank-top-skull-whiff you name chips and pitches.This has basically been eliminated with 2 simple lessons from him.Tomorrow is sand shots and working the ball.Not trying to sound like a prick of any kind.But I wouldn't be surprised if I come close to breaking 100 my first round of the year.The full swing is still shaky,but the short game is better than I ever could hope for.Maybe I need to take a step back and not get my hopes up to much.But with short game alone maybe I will break 100 right from the start

We're close to closing the deal on a new house. It'll put me less than a mile from the CC. Crazy to think I am looking forward to more, easier accessible, practice time.

Almost approaching by 17th swing-game overhaul lesson tomorrow.We have moved on from the swing to all short game now.His approach to the short game is so so simple and I'm making the most progress in this part of the game.Basically addressing all chips-pitches-lobs like a putt with the putter grip.I open the face slightly and use a stiff wristed motion.The ball pops up nicely every time.I used to shank-top-skull-whiff you name chips and pitches.This has basically been eliminated with 2 simple lessons from him.Tomorrow is sand shots and working the ball.Not trying to sound like a prick of any kind.But I wouldn't be surprised if I come close to breaking 100 my first round of the year.The full swing is still shaky,but the short game is better than I ever could hope for.Maybe I need to take a step back and not get my hopes up to much.But with short game alone maybe I will break 100 right from the start
Nothing prick-y by being happy and positive in your progress, and plans for world domination. That being said....however.....the flip side of the coin is, don't get down on yourself or your progress if you don't break 100. It will come.

Dropped a blistering 45 on the simulator today for my league. I can hear the howls of "Sandbagger!!" in the distance. Nay says I, no sandbagging here, I just had a great round. Then, for our second hour, we played the front nine of Harbourtown, and I dropped a 41! I was golfing out of my sim mind!

Now, to the details, (and, the secret to today's heroics, methinks) I got to the location about 15 minutes early, as is my habit. Settled into one of the range bays (indoor golf dome), and began to warm up, with a 9-iron.

I have been having a few issues with pulling the ball, so I thought I would try a little tempo/balance drill. So, I placed my feet side by side, and put the ball right at the line where they came together. Nice smooth half back swing, and Pow! a nice straight shot.

"Hmm." I think to myself. "This deserves a little more exploration." I think to myself again.
To avoid reader discomfort, I summarize: I was hitting like a 15 handicapper!

I decided to use this in the sim, only difference being a 4 inch move of my left foot to the left, and a 12 inch (give or take) move of the right foot to the right. Shazam!

Needless to say, I was in a very good mood driving home from the dome.

Shot a 53 on the front side this morning, went par par tripple (whoops) on the first part of the back 9. Had to drop early to make another appointment.

Stopped playing the driver. Stopped playing the 3 wood. 7 wood off the tee. Couple of holes were 7 wood, 7 wood, 5 iron, BUT I only lost one ball today, kept everything in play. So now...what can I hit to get another 10-15 yards off the tee? My 7 wood is pretty steady at 190-200 yards, I'd love to have something to fill the 175-190 gap between my 5 iron and my 7 wood, and something to get a little farther off the tee. Any ideas of something I should try?

Shot a 53 on the front side this morning, went par par tripple (whoops) on the first part of the back 9. Had to drop early to make another appointment.

Stopped playing the driver. Stopped playing the 3 wood. 7 wood off the tee. Couple of holes were 7 wood, 7 wood, 5 iron, BUT I only lost one ball today, kept everything in play. So now...what can I hit to get another 10-15 yards off the tee? My 7 wood is pretty steady at 190-200 yards, I'd love to have something to fill the 175-190 gap between my 5 iron and my 7 wood, and something to get a little farther off the tee. Any ideas of something I should try?
First thing that comes to mind would to simply be to choke up on the 7-wood about an inch.

First thing that comes to mind would to simply be to choke up on the 7-wood about an inch.

Yeah I do that some when I'm trying to shorten it. It's not a critical gap for me to fill, but it'd be nice to have something there. Let's be honest, at that distance I'm just hoping to be close.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Yeah I do that some when I'm trying to shorten it. It's not a critical gap for me to fill, but it'd be nice to have something there. Let's be honest, at that distance I'm just hoping to be close.

Close is always bueno! I'm planning on not changing out any clubs for this season, and getting to know them inside and out. My iron gapping is pretty good, my 3 wood, fairway/rescue clubs cover a lot of space, and my driver is sometimes onboard with my game plan. The putter seems to have allowed me backinto it's good graces for the time being.

Close is always bueno! I'm planning on not changing out any clubs for this season, and getting to know them inside and out. My iron gapping is pretty good, my 3 wood, fairway/rescue clubs cover a lot of space, and my driver is sometimes onboard with my game plan. The putter seems to have allowed me backinto it's good graces for the time being.

That's good stuff Hamfist. Nice to be happy with the bag. I'm pretty happy with mine, it's just the top end I'm tinkering with. I do love looking at stuff though. Absolutely certain my driver and 3 wood are out. May replace them or throw something fun in the bag. I've got a 68* wedge I wouldn't mind having in there occasionally and a 1 hybrid, but not sure about the hybrid.

Daze, well it took me a fair amount of tries before I found a driver that I'm hitting alright. I used to be a gear luster, always looking at new things, always trying to convince myself I needed something else. You guys all know the story. If I could offer any advice, it would be to try to find a driver of the same make and model of the club you already like. (Your 7-wood.)

Daze, well it took me a fair amount of tries before I found a driver that I'm hitting alright. I used to be a gear luster, always looking at new things, always trying to convince myself I needed something else. You guys all know the story. If I could offer any advice, it would be to try to find a driver of the same make and model of the club you already like. (Your 7-wood.)

That is excellent advice, unfortunately it's a Walmart special I bought almost 10 years ago. Probably not going to find anything like it. I did see a Callaway 5 wood on CPO for like $10. Thinking on that. Might hit up golfsmith this week and try a few things and compare results.

Well,with this warm streak I actually played 9 holes today by myself.Not to busy on Super Bowl Sunday so took me just over 2 hours which isn't bad at all.Shot a 59 from the senior tees,which are right next to the Red tees.Not bad at all,considering all I have to think about.Some left/some right but only 2 tops and 1 whiff.My best part was chipping,I was just knocking them right next to the cup.This looks promising,I'm very excited.

That is excellent advice, unfortunately it's a Walmart special I bought almost 10 years ago. Probably not going to find anything like it. I did see a Callaway 5 wood on CPO for like $10. Thinking on that. Might hit up golfsmith this week and try a few things and compare results.

Experiment, and don't be in any rush to buy something just to buy it. You've got a club you hit well, you have confidence in it, and you know you can game the entire season with it.

Well,with this warm streak I actually played 9 holes today by myself.Not to busy on Super Bowl Sunday so took me just over 2 hours which isn't bad at all.Shot a 59 from the senior tees,which are right next to the Red tees.Not bad at all,considering all I have to think about.Some left/some right but only 2 tops and 1 whiff.My best part was chipping,I was just knocking them right next to the cup.This looks promising,I'm very excited.[/QUOTE
Well if you are knocking them close with the chipping, that's 80% of the battle!

Experiment, and don't be in any rush to buy something just to buy it. You've got a club you hit well, you have confidence in it, and you know you can game the entire season with it.

Spot on. No rush to buy something, need to find the right club. That does mean I'll have to test some stuff. Darn. :alien2:

Well,with this warm streak I actually played 9 holes today by myself.Not to busy on Super Bowl Sunday so took me just over 2 hours which isn't bad at all.Shot a 59 from the senior tees,which are right next to the Red tees.Not bad at all,considering all I have to think about.Some left/some right but only 2 tops and 1 whiff.My best part was chipping,I was just knocking them right next to the cup.This looks promising,I'm very excited.

that's an excellent start. Like Hamfist said, the short game is crucial, being able to turn a missed GIR into a 1 putt par or a 2 putt bogey is huge! Well done, keep at it and remember GOLF IS HARD!!

Spot on. No rush to buy something, need to find the right club. That does mean I'll have to test some stuff. Darn. :alien2:
yup, life can be hard, sometimes.

I love this thread,was made for guys just like me.My best hole today was a 225 par 4 and had some problems getting the ball where I wanted to go.Anyway,I was laying 4 20 yards short right of the green.Put a beautiful little pitch swing on it and went right by the hole.Almost made a par but instead a ho hum bogey that I really liked.Left a few shots out there,but almost the best I can do at this time.Once I get a better set of clubs and more practice time under me I should see the scores creep down under 50 hopefully.Very very pleased with the results.And nice to play 9 holes under 2 1/2 hours as a single.That was a pretty fast round for me

Kinda went backward today,but did par the 1st hole.I shot a 63 in the cold and really struggled from tee to green with my full swings.About a dozen whiffs and many tops:(.My short game was still magnificent and really helped me save a few bad holes.The holes were bad but could've been real bad if I wasn't chilling good.Played the senior tees and moved up to teeing off from the fairway the last few holes.A little disappointing,but that par on the first hole really made me feel good about my progress

Guess which super studly golfer is STILL in first place in his simulated golf league? I RULE at fake golf!!

48/49 for me today...a 97 on a real course! I've broken 100 a few times before, but it was always on a super easy course or a weird little par 66 place nearby. This one felt good.

The difference today was the tee game. I was hitting the mini really well. I only had one penalty...a water ball on the third hole. It wasn't even a very bad shot...just took a bad bounce and rolled in. I topped another about 60 years. Aside from those two, I was in the fairway or very near it the whole round.

I hit three really good second shots with the mini from the deck. I only had to pull an iron longer than the 7 one time.

Positives:
Tee game
Only one penalty
Good second shots on par 5s
Nothing higher than a seven
Bogies on all par 3s (my nemesis)

Negatives:
Still can't chip
Still can't putt
Inconsistent with short irons

48/49 for me today...a 97 on a real course! I've broken 100 a few times before, but it was always on a super easy course or a weird little par 66 place nearby. This one felt good.

The difference today was the tee game. I was hitting the mini really well. I only had one penalty...a water ball on the third hole. It wasn't even a very bad shot...just took a bad bounce and rolled in. I topped another about 60 years. Aside from those two, I was in the fairway or very near it the whole round.

I hit three really good second shots with the mini from the deck. I only had to pull an iron longer than the 7 one time.

Positives:
Tee game
Only one penalty
Good second shots on par 5s
Nothing higher than a seven
Bogies on all par 3s (my nemesis)

Negatives:
Still can't chip
Still can't putt
Inconsistent with short irons

Great job! the short game will come, have patience.

Dropped to #2 for one week, but am now back to being the Supreme Ruler of Fake Golf.

Played nine, shot 46. 18 putts, three of which died two inches before the hole. Started out with a triple bogey but calmed down after that. Only hit one FIR but recovered nicely. Second shot was saving me today.

Played nine, shot 46. 18 putts, three of which died two inches before the hole. Started out with a triple bogey but calmed down after that. Only hit one FIR but recovered nicely. Second shot was saving me today.
Two putts per hole is a good stat. Keep doing that and avoid that opening triple, and you have a very nice round going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back