A Handicap dilemma

I usually don't care what anyone thinks, but because I'm joining a brand new league and I'm already committed to subbing the first 2 weeks of my buddies league, I'd hate for the first impression people get of me is being "that guy" weather warranted or not.

Hell, tell them up front how bad your putting has been in the past and how much you worked on it during the offseason. You could have a swing like Adam Scott but 10 3 or 4 putts a round would just ruin your score no matter how good the rest of your game was. I'm assuming, of course, you don't routinely drive the Par 4s and reach Par 5s in two.

If you come flying out of the gates, it's a reward for all your hard work. The HP should start coming down if you are really tearing it up and eventually it should even all out. You might piss people off but if they were in league with you last year they will see the improvement in your game. I personally wouldn't be too happy giving you strokes but I have always run up against that.

If you improve that much you are a lock for top 10 behind the 9 actual sandbaggers so no one will probably even notice

Say you live in an area where the is an off season, and towards the end of the season, you have a handicap in the high 20s. Then in the off season you practice, take lessons, etc and dramatically improve your game. Then, you have a tournament early in the next season, before you can get enough matches for a more updated handicap. Is it "Wrong" to play under your current handicap? Do you risk being accused of sandbagging or cheating if you play a great round?

Not really, because it's up to you whether you want to improve. I see a lot of players (honestly myself included) that would prefer not to play for money early in the season because it's really tough to maintain a scratch game after time off.

That said, this season I've stayed committed to my game and have held fairly strong. That was my choice.

Theoretically, your handicap committee can adjust your handicap if you've improved faster than the system can adjust to. If your committee doesn't do squat, then take the strokes.

A Handicap dilemma

I ended the year a 13 but have been practicing and working out more than ever. Since we truly have an offseason then I would not concern myself at all by playing with my current handicap as my perception of where my game is at has yet to be realized on an actual course....just throwing that out there for folks going to club clash

I have a high handicap. it's currently 30.2. I have scored 100-102 in my last 5 rounds. In all of those 5 rounds, I've had a 3 or 4 -putt in at LEAST 10 holes. sometimes more. I've been working my butt off with putting at home. Doing drills and practicing about 20-40 minutes a night Now, if I improve to where I eliminate all 4 putts, and most 3-putts, I can easily score in the mid-low 90's, maybe even high 80's in a great round with a little luck.
Now....maybe I go out there, and continue to shoot 100's (hopefully my off season practice pays off, and I don't). But I fill in for a league that uses handicaps for skins, and there's also another tournament I'm playing in May. I never thought I'd be worried to have to good of a round, lol.

Do you want to eliminate your 3 and 4 putts?

* Practice sinking 3 foot putts.
* Then practice putting from 10 feet and getting the ball as close to the hole as possible. Take four balls and do this from the same spot.
* When you get all four of them within 3 feet of the hole three times, move back to 15 feet and repeat the process.
* When you get all four of them within 3 feet of the hole three times, move back to 20 feet and repeat the process.
eventually move back to 30 feet.

Remember that the average touring professional will make around 5% of their putts from 10 feet. I'm not talking about the top touring professional. I'm talking about the average touring professional. So I really wouldn't waste time trying to sink those. Your chances of making them at a 30 handicap are pretty small.

Lag putting.... it works.

Being accused of sandbagging? You're an improving high handicap golfer. They look at trends. They don't really care about the 30 handicapper who shoots a 95. They really don't care if you have a round of 90. I really wouldn't worry about sandbagging. You're not good enough. If you shot an 80, then they might say something. But shooting in the 90s, no.

You do run that risk, but that is part of the issue with the handicap system.

I agree. You can do nothing about the off season in the system.

Back