Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

I like the sounds of these last 2 post, some reviews say it is really fade biased ( don't really need or want that ) & others say it is a straight shooter. My current driver is a bio cell plus & I just bought this one to try out in the spring. Also really interested in any direct comparisons to the xr pro 16 driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From being fit at ECPC there was no indication of it being fade biased. The biggest thing with this driver, like all other adjustable drivers, is having a fitter who can maximize the technology. The gravity core works and if you can tune this one for your miss it will unlock some yards for sure.

From being fit at ECPC there was no indication of it being fade biased. The biggest thing with this driver, like all other adjustable drivers, is having a fitter who can maximize the technology. The gravity core works and if you can tune this one for your miss it will unlock some yards for sure.

Unfortunately I won't have access to a fitter and will have to try adjust it myself. My miss is usually high towards the toe, would you say to start by putting the gravity core there? Read that can make this driver really fade biased

Unfortunately I won't have access to a fitter and will have to try adjust it myself. My miss is usually high towards the toe, would you say to start by putting the gravity core there? Read that can make this driver really fade biased

Gravity core in the toe is the neutral setting so I wouldn't be too worried. You can always adjust the driver to "Draw" if you find it to be too much left to right for you

Thanks, appreciate all the reply's.

Gravity core in the toe is the neutral setting so I wouldn't be too worried. You can always adjust the driver to "Draw" if you find it to be too much left to right for you

I thinking you put the GC with the heavy side up that will maximize your miss and extend the sweet spot out and up towards your miss.

Like Phil said the "D" setting on the hosel if you think you're seeing too much fade.

I thinking you put the GC with the heavy side up that will maximize your miss and extend the sweet spot out and up towards your miss.

Like Phil said the "D" setting on the hosel if you think you're seeing too much fade.

That's where I will start, I'll update how it goes mid to late April when our ranges should start opening. The dump of snow we got this week has been quite depressing

When you use Callaway's online adjustment that is not what they say. Move it up if you hit high on the face, down if low, outside to promote a fade or inside to promote a draw.

Trying mine with the HZRDUS black tomorrow. After switching to this head on the end of my handcrafted LZ,I'm seeing a ball flight I'm completely unfamiliar with. Seeing roll for the first time in a long time.

I hit this today at PGA SS and really liked it. I have higher spin than I like and I was much lower with this club. I was seeing 2300-2700 rpms of spin which is good for me. I still love my regular 815 and am not ready for a switch but I'd love to demo this on the course and see real world results.

I hit this today at PGA SS and really liked it. I have higher spin than I like and I was much lower with this club. I was seeing 2300-2700 rpms of spin which is good for me. I still love my regular 815 and am not ready for a switch but I'd love to demo this on the course and see real world results.

I have one you are welcome to try out if we can get some AZ guys together.

I have one you are welcome to try out if we can get some AZ guys together.

I'd be game after next week. Family time for Spring break but open after that.

Can we all just recognize the hilarious juxtaposition of Fupresti's and AZ's avatars?

My trigger discipline is much better, but I can see the hilarity.

Thanks to Kang I just picked up an 816 DBD 9* head with speeder evo 757 stiff. Took it to the range and man it was eye opening. Dispersion was tighter and surprisingly I was able to maintain my launch while decreasing my spin. Spin was under 2800. Core was up in the toe.
5d49aa44987da7815677eb1d5eda9de4.jpg

It's such a sweet looking club. And I'm excited to get out on the course in a couple days with it

It's such a sweet looking club. And I'm excited to get out on the course in a couple days with it

Excited for you bro, I've been pondering this driver again.

I was able to leave work at a reasonable hour last night, so I snuck to the range to get my first swings in with the new shaft. I didn't have a lot of time so it was a rapid fire session, leading to some not very good swings, mostly over swinging. When I wasn't overswinging, the results were great, even missing the sweet spot a little. Ball flight was lower than I had seen in the G30, but appeared more penetrating. Center strikes were very straight, and off center I got a bit of a fade, but nothing crazy. On some bad swings, I hit a few duck hooks with little spin.

Results aside, the sound of this driver is addicting. I can't wait to hit balls that aren't range rocks with this.

I think I may need to go to a 9° head. Even with the 10.5° dialed down to 9.5°, I feel like I am leaving something on the table.

I think I may need to go to a 9° head. Even with the 10.5° dialed down to 9.5°, I feel like I am leaving something on the table.

During my fitting we started with the 10.5 and dialed it down but the spin was still hurting me. We switched to the 9* head and it was night and day for me

During my fitting we started with the 10.5 and dialed it down but the spin was still hurting me. We switched to the 9* head and it was night and day for me
Right. I have mine dialed down to 9.5 and am still seeing a launch angle above 14° and spin above 2800rpm.

I hit it against a 915d3 set below 9.5 and saw less spin and more distance.

I am kind of happy that I found this out now before my season really started, I am not happy that I bought mine blind and more or less guessed on the fit, and apparently got it wrong.

I need to get on the sim here to see what I'm getting with the 9 dialed up, but I could see the 10.5 working for me.

Right. I have mine dialed down to 9.5 and am still seeing a launch angle above 14° and spin above 2800rpm.

I hit it against a 915d3 set below 9.5 and saw less spin and more distance.

I am kind of happy that I found this out now before my season really started, I am not happy that I bought mine blind and more or less guessed on the fit, and apparently got it wrong.

Switching position on the gravity core doesn't help to lower the spin?

Switching position on the gravity core doesn't help to lower the spin?

Not enough.

Got out yesterday after work for the first time trying this head with the HZRDUS Black. Am. A. Fan. Once I got settled into a groove, everything was great. Seeing the similarly unfamiliar ball flight plus roll I was seeing with the LZ Prototype in the DBD, but it seemed it was carrying better. Dead into the wind and it just bore through and drew a little back onto target. Wind died some as the sun started setting and I was carrying a ridge towards the back of the range that is about a 250 carry.

Sorry, blu, I think the 9 degree head is staying here. Talk about launch. I ended up dialing all the way down to 8 degrees and core down in the heel and was still launching around 13 degrees with spin in the 2700 range.

Back