Beauty over results?

Better to be lucky than good. Always.

Still, it's a magical, spiritual golfing moment when your shot flies, lands and rolls the way you wanted it.

That's the beauty of golf though, billions of different ways to make par, some look better than others.

Give me the score any day.

It goes both ways for me. If my swing is of or I feel I hit the shot poorly, I will be critical on myself. Now at the same time, if the shot ends up in a better spot then suspected I am happy.

Of course, I'd like to hit a great looking shot, and get solid results. But, I'm perfectly OK with "getting away with one"... many times per round.

I'd like to hit good shots every time, but I'll certainly take all the lucky breaks the golf gods are willing to give me.

If it's not pretty I'll just laugh at it and take it for what it is 'a lucky crap shot'. If it's a pretty shot that I intended I'll feel great no matter where it ended up (like short of green).

Beauty for me. Score has always been, and always will be secondary to me. I'm of the mindset that if I work on the swing/skills the low scores will eventually come.

I vote "Ugly with a good result". I'm looking for a score.

As a side-poll, I wonder what the percentages would be if we asked: Is the score more important to the high handicapper v. the low? Is the shot more important to the low handicapper than the high?

For me I can't tie any expectations to results. So the question is, did I do my process into the shot? Was I focused on my target and visualizing the shot to the target? How it turns out is out of my control. As long as I correctly execute my process and my shot visualization I am happy.

Mishits happen. I'll take good results any day. If I'm continually mishitting it, than I'm not going to have a good round anyway.

Where do you think Jordan Spieth would be if he didn't mishit his final shot in the John Deere a few years ago? That ball should have gone in the water, but the pin got in the way.

I'd rather just get over a ball and put it in the fairway or on the green and see a low number than care how I look doing it.

Scorecard doesnt have eyes.

I dont care how the ball gets there, let me get good scores.
I agree with this. As long as it gets there it can look as ugly as sin as long as I am scoring well.

Better to be lucky than good. Always.

Still, it's a magical, spiritual golfing moment when your shot flies, lands and rolls the way you wanted it.

You hear this saying all the time, but it's really not true. Good is something you can count on, but luck is fickle. Luck is inclined to desert you just when you need it the most. If you are good, it just gives luck a better chance of giving you an assist.

The lucky breaks balance out the bad ones in my oppinion. Hopefully....

You hear this saying all the time, but it's really not true. Good is something you can count on, but luck is fickle. Luck is inclined to desert you just when you need it the most. If you are good, it just gives luck a better chance of giving you an assist.

Amen to that. In the OP's case he thinned it just right for the ball to get into the green. Luck will always be a part of golf. Good and bad.

I look at it this way - I'm gonna take my good breaks even if I don't deserve it because somewhere else in the game I'm bound to get a bad break I don't deserve.

Just like I say with hockey, "they don't ask how"

Case in point, today we had a par 3 into the wind 180 but playing more like 200-205. I hit my hybrid because that's what I felt would get there - my buddy hit his 6 iron which in a good day would go 180 with no wind. I hit mine high and fought the wind. He thinned the **** out of his 6i. We both ended up a foot onto the front of green and 10 yards shy of the pin and 3 putted from there. It's all the same on the card. Although I heard all day about how far he hit his 6 into the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beauty over results?

Another example is a par 5 that dog legged right then left. I hate the hole. I suck at it honestly. I hit my 3w off the tee to keep from screwing up too bad. Topped the first shot to the ladies tee, hit the same club again but not very well, then hit it a 3rd time, chip, putt, par. Worked for it, but par is par.

Good misses are still good results...

I got my first hole in one at the Thistle on a skulled 5 iron, It was about 10 ft high, it barely cleared the water, landed in a bunker rolled out on to the green and right into the cup, it was 185yds of filth as I call it but it gave me an ace. My son was with me and after the shock wore off he looked at me and said that it was probably one of the ugliest aces in golfing history, I still laugh at it.

The game means so many different things to everyone and none of it's wrong, just different. I often get the feeling that if you like the game or a style of club for different reasons or reasons that don't make sense to others, you get branded, I hope it's just perception and the ridicule is just mis perceived.

Golf is a game of numbers, but being a low guy I would sooner hit the ball well and miss the target through bad aim than scab it onto the green. The feedback that I gain when struck well is unbelievably important. This feedback is not there with a shot that is very crap and relies on the golfing Gods and a couple of wierd bounces to get it on the dancefloor.

Yes we all need luck at times, but play well and you will often make your own luck.

Last week I was playing pretty well by my standards (shot 40 for 9). Was on the par 5 #8 and was 110 out for my third shot. Pulled my 9i and thinned it. It rolled through the bunker protecting the green and rolled four feet from the hole.

Dropped another ball, hit a great shot, it hit pin high and rolled past (about 20 feet). Got to the green and made the birdie putt with my crappy shot, and two putt my good shot for par.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky I suppose.

Amen to that. In the OP's case he thinned it just right for the ball to get into the green. Luck will always be a part of golf. Good and bad.

I look at it this way - I'm gonna take my good breaks even if I don't deserve it because somewhere else in the game I'm bound to get a bad break I don't deserve.

Well, I didn't say I would not take a lucky break and I sure as heck didn't say "that shot didn't count." But when I hit a poor shot, in this case a thin screamer, my immediate feedback is negative despite that shot turning out "good." For me if I could have good contact close to 100% of the time I would definitely be happy with my game even if the ball didn't quite go where I had hoped (either via alignment or club selection error) because those issues can be resolved with practice and experience. A while back I hit a very nice pitch shot and landed it exactly where I wanted on the fringe of the green (not much green "to work with" with the hole sloping away). Unfortunately I didn't walk high enough over the crest of the hill to realize there was a sprinkler head there. I was still happy with my execution and cursed myself for creating my own bad luck as I watched my shot bounce high off the sprinkler head and well off the other side of the green.

Scores are great but I gauge the state of my game more on consistency than being lucky. I think being consistent creates your own good luck. Even if that means a not so perfectly executed shot can still end up OK (managing your misses).

I'll take good results every time.
It's not how...but how many.

Results. No doubt.

the only time the score card is of any relevance is if your playing in a competition. In that case give me the score of course. But on a daily basis and throughout the grind of a long golf season I want to be good far more than I want to be lucky. Lucky imo doesn't do anything. It doesn't speak that I have improved. However, I do believe that the better one becomes, the more his mishits are no longer as bad as before and therefore and may end up a bit luckier with them. Sometimes luck itself can be a product of being better at something. But in the end one cannot depend on luck but one can depend on better ability.

I just don't really see how so many would choose the luck. I mean in this game in which most all of us make great efforts (via time, money, and all available avenues within our means) to improve it strikes me as odd that many would rather be lucky than good. Sure, in a competition its going to come down whatever works to get the lowest score and we will all take the good luck when it comes. But luck imo just doesn't speak for anything but the luck itself. Bottom line is if I want to feel good about my golf performance and all the related efforts and resources spent I certainly want to be better. I always feel better about a well struck shot that may not end up so well vs the one I got lucky with.

BTW on another note - Beauti vs results?
I'll just say I am not so good at golf but I am devilishly handsome and at least "I" can always improve at golf:alien:

Back