Matchplay rule breach ... What would you do?

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Was playing in a club super 6 matchplay event on Sunday and my opponent did the following.

From the fairway bunker he touched/swept the sand directly behind his ball on his backswing.

He knew he did it, and I saw him. He said to me straight after the shot "I love the new rules that allow me to do touch the sand like that."

So what would you say/do??? Would you call him on it?

Note : this is a comp with a decent prize (shot at playing in a pro tournament Pro-Am) and the guy is a 5 handicap.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Was playing in a club super 6 matchplay event on Sunday and my opponent did the following.

From the fairway bunker he touched/swept the sand directly behind his ball on his backswing.

He knew he did it, and I saw him. He said to me straight after the shot "I love the new rules that allow me to do touch the sand like that."

Note : this is a comp with a decent prize (shot at playing in a pro tournament Pro-Am) and the guy is a 5 handicap.

I'm not sure what "new rule" he's talking about. I think we've got to call the penalty.

I'd definitely call him on it for sure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd definitely call him on it for sure

So what would you say? How would you make the call ?

Gotta call him on that and unfortunately have to keep an eye on him for the rest of the time too. mpeterson has it right.

I would politely make sure he actually knows what the rule states. I would make sure to call it right away after it was done as well.

"Sorry bud but that's a penalty. And since this is Match Play you lose the hole. Sorry again, but feel free to call a rules official if you disagree."

"Sorry bud but that's a penalty. And since this is Match Play you lose the hole. Sorry again, but feel free to call a rules official if you disagree."
I'm with that except there's no need to apologize for being right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm with that except there's no need thp apologize for being right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe not, but politeness wins the day.

Personally (and I'm generalizing) I will tend to give grace for a while when someone is unsure of the new rules. However, that is not the case here. This player has asserted that he knows the new rules and he is wrong. That needs to be corrected. Otherwise, he's learned nothing and will continue to abuse the rules of golf.

If I knew the rule he was stating was wrong I would start with that, if not I'd say I don't think that's how that rule works and call the pro shop or tournament coordinator to make the rule, especially since he acknowledged touching the sand in his backswing.

Gotta call that as either they misunderstand the rules and need to be set straight, or are hoping you are not aware and trying to pull a fast one, imho. Definitely politely mention that he's wrong and offer to get a rules official if need be would be how I think I'd handle it.

i wouldn’t call it because quite frankly i don’t understand the new rule.

if i understood the rule at the time, i would correct him. if he disagreed on the implementation of the rule, i would recommend bringing in somebody else to comment.

if he says he didn’t do what i say he did, i would drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe not, but politeness wins the day.
I'd probably take it a lot better if someone is polite about it. Then again, I say sorry for being sorry, sooo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Perfect answer !

It is a penalty that needs to be called. The new rule does not give a pass to touching the sand during the backswing.

Sounds like everyone is agreed it should be called.

I just hate making the call. It's gonna lead to confrontation no matter how it's done.

I don't really wanna be that guy... there's no nice way to claim a hole on a rules violation.

I just hate making the call. It's gonna lead to confrontation no matter how it's done.

I don't really wanna be that guy... there's no nice way to claim a hole on a rules violation.

I don't like making a confrontation either, but if I have the black and white rules behind me, it's an easy call. You want to protect yourself and the rest of the players, right?

I think that ArmyGolf said it pretty well.

Nobody likes being "that guy," but if everyone takes that attitude, certain golfers end up playing a different game than everyone else.

But polite, but firm. And remember, they're the jerk if they get upset about a penalty they committed.

Do remember in match play, you have the option of not calling a penalty, but only if your opponent is unaware he committed one. If you point it out or he says anything, a penalty must be called or you both can be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule of golf. (Note in this situation, you also were required to correct his misunderstanding of the rule.).

In the context of the OP, you've gotta call that one every time. You have an obligation to protect the field in that situation.

Now if I'm playing a friendly round with a buddy, I point out the rule to him and move on with the rest of the hole. If he's keeping a HC I would hope he calls it on himself, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if he doesn't.

You have to protect the field. Call the penalty so that he learns what the actual rule is. Tell him if he thinks you are wrong to continue playing the hole but you need to talk a rules official before signing his card.

You're right, he's wrong, just for clarity. New rule 12.2b(1) according to the USGA app.

But I do remember watching the tournament this past weekend and hearing the commentators talk about players inadvertently touching the sand on the backswing. I think they were referencing the "naked eye standard" but it sounded like they were making the case that any grazing of the sand on the backswing, providing it was not intentional, was given a pass under the new rules. (thanks Anna Nordqvist)

Doesn't change anything, but I remember hearing that and being confused by the language they were using, maybe this guy was in the same boat.

I thought fisticuffs were the automatic default for Australia?

I thought fisticuffs were the automatic default for Australia?

Not since the days of the 19 Crimes and Crocodile Dundee. They've even had Olympics there (thanks Nemo!).

Back