NHL 2015-2016 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's funny, is watching my team not suck enough to be worse than Edmonton every year hahahaha (as they win in a shootout again last night to vault EDM).

Bye bye Austin Matthews.... We could have had something special!!! :alien:

I thought the discussion was funny, I totally agree with you, a team that doesn't know how to draft and build a team does not deserve to pick first.

I'm proud of a fan base that's "silly" enough to stick by it's team. Fair-weather fans make me sick (across all sports).

I'm not saying the Oilers' situation isn't laughable. All I'm saying is that Edmonton has no control (short of icing a team good enough to make the playoffs) in where it drafts. The ownership/management group is absolutely at fault for not icing a competitive roster. The way the draft works isn't the Oilers fault.

For what it's worth, I think the team that comes the closest to the playoffs (without getting in) should get the #1 pick.

lets be honest here, they would have drafted Reinhart instead of Ekblad, just like they drafted yakopov instead of murray and RNH instead of Larsson.

The joke being that even if they had picked Murray, or drafted second, there is no way Yakupov would have become a Blue Jacket hahahaha

Murray has actually really come around this year now that he's been healthy. Getting back to becoming a pillar of this franchise (albeit not a scoring game changing one) for a long time.

I'm proud of a fan base that's "silly" enough to stick by it's team. Fair-weather fans make me sick (across all sports).

I'm not saying the Oilers' situation isn't laughable. All I'm saying is that Edmonton has no control (short of icing a team good enough to make the playoffs) in where it drafts. The ownership/management group is absolutely at fault for not icing a competitive roster. The way the draft works isn't the Oilers fault.

For what it's worth, I think the team that comes the closest to the playoffs (without getting in) should get the #1 pick.

So if a team gets moved to let's say Kansas City and sucks really bad their first year, the people who don't attend in year two are going to 'make you sick'?

I don't think you realize how hard it is for expansion teams to gain traction outside of Canada.

So if a team gets moved to let's say Kansas City and sucks really bad their first year, the people who don't attend in year two are going to 'make you sick'?

I don't think you realize how hard it is for expansion teams to gain traction outside of Canada.

The people that don't show up in year two relinquish their rights to be long suffering fans, absolutely. You either support your team through thick and thin or you're not really a fan, period.

I had to deal with my favorite childhood team (the Northstars) moving south at the hands of a greedy owner (screw you Norm!); I understand first hand how rough Bettman's expansion into non-traditional hockey markets has been.

I actually admire fans from CBJ, ARZ, FLA, etc... I'm sure it's not easy to support a team that's had relatively little historical success. I just get absolutely sick and tired of the endless "Edmonton ruins players, they don't deserve their luck" garbage. The oldest player from this lucky run of draft picks (Eberle) is 25. None of these guys have really reached their prime, and they've seen nothing put jokers in the GM spot and a revolving door of coaches. Now that it appears Katz is letting someone with actual hockey intelligence make some decisions, and they have Chia and McLellan in place, if they're still at the bottom of the league in the summer of 2017 feel free to come back here and feed me all the crow I can eat.

The people that don't show up in year two relinquish their rights to be long suffering fans, absolutely. You either support your team through thick and thin or you're not really a fan, period.

I had to deal with my favorite childhood team (the Northstars) moving south at the hands of a greedy owner (screw you Norm!); I understand first hand how rough Bettman's expansion into non-traditional hockey markets has been.

I actually admire fans from CBJ, ARZ, FLA, etc... I'm sure it's not easy to support a team that's had relatively little historical success. I just get absolutely sick and tired of the endless "Edmonton ruins players, they don't deserve their luck" garbage. The oldest player from this lucky run of draft picks (Eberle) is 25. None of these guys have really reached their prime, and they've seen nothing put jokers in the GM spot and a revolving door of coaches. Now that it appears Katz is letting someone with actual hockey intelligence make some decisions, and they have Chia and McLellan in place, if they're still at the bottom of the league in the summer of 2017 feel free to come back here and feed me all the crow I can eat.

So you have to show up to watch your team suck to be considered 'suffering'? It's all very interesting. As a 16 year CBJ fan, my wallet peaked a couple years ago by attending more than half their home games, traveling from about 100 miles away. Since then, I've attended maybe three games in two or three years. I considered myself stupid at the time, and frugal now -- But no less a fan.

The problem with expansion teams, especially in the NHL, is that a lot of America just doesn't care about hockey. Those who attended in the early years in Columbus did so because it was an exciting sport they knew little about. 15 years of losing later, it's not really about hockey anymore, but rather a losing team in a city used to winning (thanks, OSU football).

They aren't fairweather in Columbus, they just don't have a good reason to attend. Winning aids that, and creates fans where none originated. You can't create a culture of excitement without success. Just ask Atlanta.

I'm just bitter after the Sabres were a worse team than the Oilers and won the tanking competition with Arizona they still didn't get McDavid :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm just bitter after the Sabres were a worse team than the Oilers and won the tanking competition with Arizona they still didn't get McDavid :)

Your runner up was pretty damn good.

Your runner up was pretty damn good.
True, and he's going to be great but after his 5 point night I just think McDavid is a whole other level...24 pts in 19 games now.

So you have to show up to watch your team suck to be considered 'suffering'? It's all very interesting. As a 16 year CBJ fan, my wallet peaked a couple years ago by attending more than half their home games, traveling from about 100 miles away. Since then, I've attended maybe three games in two or three years. I considered myself stupid at the time, and frugal now -- But no less a fan.

The problem with expansion teams, especially in the NHL, is that a lot of America just doesn't care about hockey. Those who attended in the early years in Columbus did so because it was an exciting sport they knew little about. 15 years of losing later, it's not really about hockey anymore, but rather a losing team in a city used to winning (thanks, OSU football).

They aren't fairweather in Columbus, they just don't have a good reason to attend. Winning aids that, and creates fans where none originated. You can't create a culture of excitement without success. Just ask Atlanta.

Showing up doesn't necessarily mean season tickets. As MacT said, I'm only a Tier 2 fan since I only watch all the games on GameCenter. The only local team I can support is a USHL club, and doing that is admittedly much easier on the wallet. While it's one thing to stop attending games, it's entirely another to tune your team out and stop paying attention. Based on this thread I'd never accuse you of doing that, but I'm sure there are at least a handful of folks in Columbus guilty of forgetting about the Jackets since the spring of 2014.

I completely agree, and am saddened, that most of America doesn't care about hockey. It's actually one of the reasons, when the Northstars left, I decided to support a Canadian team.

Yeah, he'll compliment Matthews well. :alien:

If by some absolutely miracle EDM wins the lottery this year, I hope they can swing a deal to give the pick to ARZ (along with prospects) to get OEL.

The last thing the Oilers need is another young center.

but I'm sure there are at least a handful of folks in Columbus guilty of forgetting about the Jackets since the spring of 2014.

...in their defense, they haven't missed much! hahahahahahaha

Yeah, he'll compliment Matthews well. :alien:
It's gonna be a good draft year. Top 5 picks are all gonna be solid.

It's gonna be a good draft year. Top 5 picks are all gonna be solid.

I think you're right. The junior tournament showed some really nice talent.

My bet is, Columbus goes on a streak and drafts 7th like idiots.

I think you're right. The junior tournament showed some really nice talent.

My bet is, Columbus goes on a streak and drafts 7th like idiots.
Lol! That would be your luck. Some big skilled forwards in this draft. The 2 Finns are beasts.

Lol! That would be your luck. Some big skilled forwards in this draft. The 2 Finns are beasts.

CBJ seem to really enjoy drafting in that 6/7 spot. Jerks.

CBJ seem to really enjoy drafting in that 6/7 spot. Jerks.
This is one of the deepest drafts I can remember. No McDavid but good talent throughout the 1st round.

Are you at the game tonight Andy?

Here's the deal with the Oilers though...

Until this season they haven't had a real GM, or any coaching consistency since their last cup run.

With Chia and McLellan in charge they'll change the culture and turn a corner.

I'm also reasonably convinced most hockey fans don't actually know how good McDavid is going to be. In a couple years people are going to be asking "Sid who?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the current coaching and management that's the issue. It's the past. Too many of the young guys were already poisoned.

That was already said about Sid, then the new year hit and hottest player since beginning of 2016.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Are you at the game tonight Andy?
No, my BIL had the tix and I bet they wasted them. They do that a lot. Don't know why they bother going in on them.

Habs have given up 5 goals on just 21 shots. They really miss Price.

No, my BIL had the tix and I bet they wasted them. They do that a lot. Don't know why they bother going in on them.

Habs have given up 5 goals on just 21 shots. They really miss Price.

Yeah the goalies we have are terrible, e might eve draft right after Edmonton

Yeah the goalies we have are terrible, e might eve draft right after Edmonton

I'd throw a rage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back