Mizuno ST190 and ST190G Drivers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
From Mizuno

Mizuno, the global leader in golf equipment renowned for its expertise in irons, reveals the highly anticipated ST190 woods. After clearing the USGA conforming list, the ST190s made an immediate first appearance at the British Masters with many players putting in to play on tour since, including PGA TOUR players Luke Donald and Keith Mitchell to date. PGA professionals will have the opportunity to see and hit with the new ST190 line at the 2019 PGA SHOW in Orlando later this month.

Mizuno has quietly been a pioneer of metal woods for the entire golf industry. From the Ti100 (golf’s first mass-production titanium driver), the Masters winning T-ZOID, MP-001 with composite crown, and the MP-600 with sliding weights – Mizuno has introduced many metal wood technologies widely adopted by the industry.

Now with its early success on tour, the Mizuno ST190 appears set to propel Mizuno into the metal wood spotlight. In addition to being seen in play on tour so soon after its introduction, the ST190 driver was played to win November’s PGA Play-Offs at Antalya in Turkey and worked its way into the bag of Luke Donald. Donald’s driver choices have long been a barometer for the legitimacy of Mizuno’s launches – the JPX850 being Mizuno’s last to enjoy Donald’s prolonged use.

ST190 and ST190G drivers
The ST190 drivers offer Mizuno’s lowest spin rates and incorporate every known factor in the quest to enhance ball speed and driving distance. Mizuno’s ultra-fast Forged SP700 Ti face now boasts a lighter CORTECH structure to deliver consistently higher ball speeds, with a large carbon composite crown plus the Amplified Wave soleplate, introduced in last year’s ST180 drivers, helping to convert each additional mph into extra yards.

The Forged SP700 Ti face is over 10% stronger than 6-4 Titanium with a fine grain structure that allows a more complex geometry in the CORTECH face, where re-engineered ribs and a Quick Switch internal structure promise even higher performance. The ultralight 12g carbon composite crown means 7g of weight can be optimally redistributed to further boost ball speeds and reduce spin rates. The Amplified Wave Sole features a heavily amplified first wave configuration which expands the ST190’s COR area for improved balls speeds across the clubface, with reduced off-center performance drop-off. Harmonic Impact Technology is the result of a careful study of vibration and soundwaves, which identified the need for internal ribs to create a more solid, powerful impact sound. The whole package combines to squeeze every last ounce of ball speed from the entire clubface in both the ST190 and ST190G drivers.

The ST190 is designed for mid to low spin with maximum stability, and features a single, factory-fixed 6g backweight that adds 300gcm2 MOI for added stability on off-center strikes. The ST190G is engineered for low spin and offers intuitive FAST TRACK adjustability thanks to twin 7g weights on external tracks that can reduce spin by an additional 200rpm, allowing players to achieve heavy fade or draw biases by placing the weights in one track.

In early tour testing, two PGA Tour players with different angles of attack achieved significantly lower spin and marked gains in ball speed and distance, with a more level angle of attack favoring the ST190G model and a more downward angle of attack reaping most benefit from the ST190 model. “The ST190 marks a total change in how Mizuno approaches wood design,” says lead Mizuno golf designer Kei Tsjui. “We now start the development process with our tour players. The tour-tested molds then become our production molds. In the case of the ST190, this produced a high-speed driver with extreme low spin for the tour, but with the capability of increasing spin for lower swing speed players.”

First PGA Tour player to put the ST190 into play Keith Mitchell was as surprised as anyone that he made the switch. “Driving was my best category last year – I walked into testing to do ‘Cookie’ (Mizuno, PGA Tour Manager Jeff Cook) a favor, give him some numbers and leave. It turned out to be the easiest change I’ve ever made – on the one club I never thought I would switch. The ST190 was faster, straighter and more forgiving than what I was playing. I’ve used it ever since and haven’t considered taking it out.”

The ST190 driver will be available in men’s 9.5˚ and 10.5˚ models, both adjustable by 2˚ either way, in right hand and left hand (9.5˚ only)
The ST190G driver will be available in men’s 9˚, adjustable by 2˚ either way, in right hand only.
A range of shafts without upcharge will be available, with new options for 2019 including Atmos Blue 5S, Atmos Red 5R, Atmos Red 5R2, Atmos Red 6R and Atmos Black TS 6S.

ST190 Fairway Woods
The powerful ST190 fairway woods are also speed-engineered and feature a carbon composite crown and amplified Wave soleplate, this time allied to a deeper, high-energy HT1770 Maraging steel face. This deeper clubface flexes more like a driver, helping to maximize ball speed, while the ultra-lightweight carbon composite crown allows 4g of weight to be moved low within the clubhead, combining with the deeper clubface to deliver an efficient, low-spin ball flight.

The Amplified Wave Soleplate’s larger first wave creates a balance between stability and sweet spot height to provide effective off-center forgiveness without excess backspin. Similar Harmonic Impact Technology to that found in the drivers generates a powerful, solid impact sound, fine-tuned through the study of vibration and soundwaves.

The ST190 fairway woods will be available in fixed-hosel 3- and 5-woods along with an adjustable Tour Spoon (TS) 3-wood model that offers a stronger ball flight and in which lofts can be adjusted from 13˚ to 17˚. Again, early tour testing with a PGA Tour player has highlighted an effective relationship between ball speed and spin rates, with gains in the former accompanying reductions in the latter.

“The ST190’s deeper face is not just useful from the tee – it also gives the clubface a larger frame that functions more like a driver for higher ball speed,” says Kei Tsjui. “Normally that is compromised by a higher sweet spot and additional backspin, but by using our carbon composite crown and Wave Soleplate, we were able to combine high ball speeds with an efficient ball flight.”
The ST190 fairway woods will be available in a men’s 15˚ 3-wood (right and left hand), a men’s 18˚ 5-wood (right hand only) and a men’s adjustable 3-wood TS (13˚ to 17˚, right hand only)
A range of shafts without upcharge will be available, with new options for 2019 including Atmos Blue 6R, Atmos Red 6S, Atmos Red 6R and Atmos Black TS 7S.

Cost
ST190G Driver: $500 USD / $600 CAD / £449 / €499 / SEK 4,999

ST190 Driver: $400 USD / $500 CAD / $£399 / €449 / SEK 4,499

ST190 TS adjustable Fairway Wood: $300 USD / $400 CAD / £315 / €359 / SEK 3,499

ST190 Fairway Wood: $250 USD / $350 CAD / £279 / €319 / SEK 2,999

All3DriversV2-1024x566.jpg

Solid looking offering from Mizuno. Interesting to see them offering a double weight option from the get-go.

I hope people don't sleep on this release, especially those who battle OTT action. The ST180 was a great club to experience from a fairway standpoint. I am kind of feeling silly for never really taking a look at the driver.

Sad to see the departure of the blue.

I hope people don't sleep on this release, especially those who battle OTT action. The ST180 was a great club to experience from a fairway standpoint. I am kind of feeling silly for never really taking a look at the driver.

I’ve been saying it for a couple months now, this is the driver release that I believe might excite me more than the rest. The move to black was definitely needed for them (I wish they’d have left a limited run of blue though) and the early feedback on these is legit.

It really is the year of the driver.

I’ve been saying it for a couple months now, this is the driver release that I believe might excite me more than the rest. The move to black was definitely needed for them (I wish they’d have left a limited run of blue though) and the early feedback on these is legit.

I am going to try to get my dad into the driver this year. He's already a convert into the ST180 fairway.

That, or lessons.

I am going to try to get my dad into the driver this year. He's already a convert into the ST180 fairway.

That, or lessons.

Psh, lessons. Hahahaha

Why do you think the move to black was needed? The majority black but some sharp blue is what made it stand out to me in years past.

Why do you think the move to black was needed? The majority black but some sharp blue is what made it stand out to me in years past.

Neutrality against other brands is my guess.

Not everyone likes blue. Everyone likes black.

Neutrality against other brands is my guess.

Not everyone likes blue. Everyone likes black.

Ya that would make sense when put that way

#1 for them imo was tour. From What I have heard and read though the play list would be small for them no matter what, the color was too much for most.

Stand out is good, if your favourite color is blue (see what I did there?)

#1 for them imo was tour. From What I have heard and read though the play list would be small for them no matter what, the color was too much for most.

Stand out is good, if your favourite color is blue (see what I did there?)

not to mention if you main driver color is blue and someone is watching TV and notice that a Mizzy guy is playing a black driver, viewers know it's not a mizzy. Black will help them blend in more. But I am sad, I loved the blue.

Mizuno ST190 and ST190G Drivers

I read this "a more downward angle of attack reaping most benefit from the ST190 model" from the press release and read your comment of "people don't sleep on this release, especially those who battle OTT action"
Being higher on the face, downward angle hitter. I'm really excited to try this driver out. Seeing a lot of 50gram shaft options which tells me they really thought of fitting the "Average" Golfer

Seen some YouTube videos and it's getting great review and sound is really good.

Some photos Instagram:

f651acc3061df1232a63126490a807e7.jpg

52246cd72f82cdcfa8bd5b04e044bc2b.jpg

Really nice looking drivers with a ton of tech. I am also kind of sad to see the blue go but understand the move.

I have been looking forward to this thread and the opportunity to hit the ST190. I Have heard the 190G is really a spin killer too. Does anyone know if they are coming out with new hybrids or is the CLK the only offering?

I read this "a more downward angle of attack reaping most benefit from the ST190 model" from the press release and read your comment of "people don't sleep on this release, especially those who battle OTT action"
Being higher on the face, downward angle hitter. I'm really excited to try this driver out. Seeing a lot of 50gram shaft options which tells me they really thought of fitting the "Average" Golfer

I definitely hit down on my driver. Spent years trying to find a driver that got me below 3k spin with decent launch. Couldn’t find anything to knock my old Nike out of the bag until I tried the little st180 hiding in a less travelled corner of my ‘local’ Golftown. Despite maybe a 105 SS I put the Tensei white X shaft in and bam. 2200 spin with a good launch. Added 25 yards carry without trying (not exaggerating...had gps averages before -245- and after -272- to compare). And while this st190 looks almost identical (poor blue), if all they did were cosmetic changes and face tech, it’s still gonna be amazing. Well worth your time to try.

I definitely hit down on my driver. Spent years trying to find a driver that got me below 3k spin with decent launch. Couldn’t find anything to knock my old Nike out of the bag until I tried the little st180 hiding in a less travelled corner of my ‘local’ Golftown. Despite maybe a 105 SS I put the Tensei white X shaft in and bam. 2200 spin with a good launch. Added 25 yards carry without trying (not exaggerating...had gps averages before -245- and after -272- to compare). And while this st190 looks almost identical (poor blue), if all they did were cosmetic changes and face tech, it’s still gonna be amazing. Well worth your time to try.

You did what I was thinking - My understanding is that its a completely different head ST180 to the ST190

Seen some YouTube videos and it's getting great review and sound is really good.

Some photos Instagram:

f651acc3061df1232a63126490a807e7.jpg

52246cd72f82cdcfa8bd5b04e044bc2b.jpg

LOVE the look of that.

Unfortunately I had to stop reading at Lowest Spin Rates, stupid crappy swing.

oh and I do like the looks of the driver for sure

You did what I was thinking - My understanding is that its a completely different head ST180 to the ST190

You could very well be right. But besides the colour it looks identical to my 180. Only difference I can see is the 7g removed from the crown and the colour.

I'm interested in this driver! I liked the blue though!

Driver looks pretty slick to me!

Couple of other photos I found:

909c87bd46c13e3fc759475ac7c56c87.jpg
674d79105bac63add206306625463be5.jpg
6db26191c2d4f2e87d02889c524bdf48.jpg

Yup, going to need to hit this one this year also. Love the look.

Back