TaylorMade M5 and M6 Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
M5’s actually look ok. M6 naturally looks a little large for my liking.

But man, even though I know it’s a cost thing I wish all these companies wouldn’t just automatically go with polished chrome on so many of their iron sets, it just wears so bad.

Tech forward no doubt. I question some of their terminology, but they do look like a couple of good options.

I like the look of the M5, but not so much the M6. Looking forward to what the reviews say.

Agree. The M5 is a good looking iron. Curious how users feel on the sound & feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The conversations around M5 and M6 irons were really interesting, but I definitely tunnel visioned the M5 for someone more in my spectrum, and liked a lot of what they tried to accomplish to make it appear more traditional in profile. Small attention to detail, like creating the fluted hosel profile only on the inside half so at address it wasn't visible, going with a neutral color scheme to present a more neutral profile... It all seemed like they had that bridge player in mind, one who wants the tech and the benefits of modern design without feeling like they were playing it.

On the range I only had a chance to hit M5, and there is no doubt the sound is different. After hitting 760 it certainly wasn't as rich, but it also kind of took on a sound profile of its' own, so I had some good feedback on strike quality. Not surprisingly, the launch was significant, and the turf interaction was super simple. I think they'll make sense for quite a few golfers.

The conversations around M5 and M6 irons were really interesting, but I definitely tunnel visioned the M5 for someone more in my spectrum, and liked a lot of what they tried to accomplish to make it appear more traditional in profile. Small attention to detail, like creating the fluted hosel profile only on the inside half so at address it wasn't visible, going with a neutral color scheme to present a more neutral profile... It all seemed like they had that bridge player in mind, one who wants the tech and the benefits of modern design without feeling like they were playing it.

On the range I only had a chance to hit M5, and there is no doubt the sound is different. After hitting 760 it certainly wasn't as rich, but it also kind of took on a sound profile of its' own, so I had some good feedback on strike quality. Not surprisingly, the launch was significant, and the turf interaction was super simple. I think they'll make sense for quite a few golfers.

TM is back and on fire when it comes to irons.

TM is back and on fire when it comes to irons.

The variety is nothing short of substantial.

I was pondering all that yesterday while on the course with my player CB profile, kind of bummed that they didn't offer a similar shape.. Then I had a good laugh thinking about just how wide their spectrum is right now and stopped worrying about it.

This is a nice looking pair of irons. The larger headed iron continues to improve looks wise since the original and second iteration of the M2. I feel bad for all of the sales people who have to say the word "Hybrar" though. Price point is good too, with a lot of companies pushing larger increases these seem to be about the same (unless that's for a 7 iron set).

Also, laughing at the crossed out "overused term".

Did you find the sound closer to hollow body or deep rich cavity? I was trying to think of the best descriptor.

This is a nice looking pair of irons. The larger headed iron continues to improve looks wise since the original and second iteration of the M2. I feel bad for all of the sales people who have to say the word "Hybrar" though. Price point is good too, with a lot of companies pushing larger increases these seem to be about the same (unless that's for a 7 iron set).

Also, laughing at the crossed out "overused term".

Hybraaaaaaaaaaaawr

Did you find the sound closer to hollow body or deep rich cavity? I was trying to think of the best descriptor.

Such a good question. I'd probably have to hit them again to really dial that one down.

I didn't think it was the same as some of the 'player cavities' we're seeing but I've always been an awful sampling when it comes to speed channel irons. The sound didn't get me excited (I'm pretty conditioned in what I want mine to sound like), but it still definitely sounded like an iron.

Interesting. Though I’m not loving the look of the Speed Bridge, if the tech works, the tech works. Looking forward to seeing more reviews.

The M5 look real good. TM does a real good job with their satin and I sort of wish there was more on that iron (maybe there is and I just cant tell with the stock photos).

Call that bridge what you want, it’s hideous. I’m sure it does what they want it to, but man those look horrible.

I can’t think of a specific example but I feel like we’ve seen irons before where the base is connected to the top line. Is there actual tech in this one that makes it different than the rest and legitimizes the speed bridge name? Edit: or am I wrong in thinking this has been done before?

I can think of a specific example but I feel like we’ve seen irons before where the base is connected to the top line. Is there actual tech in this one that makes it different than the rest and legitimizes the speed bridge name?

Which irons T4k?

Typo: “Can’t” think of a specific example.

Im honestly not sure. In speaking with them, they feel pretty strongly about the bridge and how it allows the rest of the club to work. Hollow body for instance, has a complete back that is together with a hollow interior, so my gut tells me there are some parallels there, but not with the same cut through that is in place here. If that makes any sense at all.

The M5 doesn't look like a bad profile a lot and they both seem to have a lot of tech behind them. For some reason I immediately thought of the Nike Slingshot when I saw the picture.

Have always thought TM's offerings in this spectrum of irons were solid previously, though they seemed to have missed the mark with their past couple of releases. Though based on what Dan is saying, they've turned it back around to having a solid offering here.

I think the M5 is right up my father in-law's alley. He plays Rac's, but wants something a bit more forgiving and longer, but without going with a larger sole. Maybe these will fit the bill.

The M5 doesn't look like a bad profile a lot and they both seem to have a lot of tech behind them. For some reason I immediately thought of the Nike Slingshot when I saw the picture.

You know what, I did too. There’s something about them that reminds me of the slingshots. Not a bad thing really.

They just look clunky to me. I like less clutter.

I can’t think of a specific example but I feel like we’ve seen irons before where the base is connected to the top line. Is there actual tech in this one that makes it different than the rest and legitimizes the speed bridge name? Edit: or am I wrong in thinking this has been done before?

After reading the post I was coming here to make the same observation. I want to say they were Nike irons and yellow was involved. Gonna go search for a pic.

PS I love my M3 irons.

I wonder how the bridge holds up to continued bag chatter, throwing the bag in the back of the car etc. I know I’m not going to be overly careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back