Good under 100 yards, OK to 150, after that, give up

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
Time on my sim has fleshed out what I expected to be the case for me.

Under 100 yards (PW and down), I am pretty good and accurate with distance and line.

Out to 150 (7 iron), I am OK. Good with distance, spotty with accuracy.

After 150, is just blech. Long irons are not my friend. As a matter of fact, they are the worst clubs for me. I know I am not alone here, but it is a drastic drop off. 7 I hit pretty well, 6, 5 and 4 might as well be hammers. All over the place distance and dispersion.

Driver is OK, but short, 200 on a good shot. I know this is related to my swing speed (sub 80 right now, with a mid 80 that shows up once in a while).

Time on the sim, and practicing with a purpose is helping the driver, short irons and wedges, but the long irons are just eluding me.

I will take this up with my pro at my next lesson, but sheesh it is awful. Using the dynamic Handicap on my Skytrak, under 100 I am a single digit, 100-150 I am a low teens, then it all goes to crap.

Maybe 4/5/6 in One Length might be something to consider, or even the OL hybrids?

For the longest time 5 and 6 irons were all over the place for me. I made a conscious decision to get more consistent with them and have improved a decent amount. I've even put a driving iron in the bag. I still love my 3 and 4 hybrids though....so forgiving.

A good hybrid is your friend - just shorten the length of most so they are only .5 inches longer than your iron, use graphite and get a forgiving head - the Big Bertha line of the last few years is good and inexpensive on CPO, a forgiving Hy - probably lofts of 22, 25, 28 or two of those - since BB is adjustable you could adjust loft up and down and get 2 Hy to cover 3 irons.

Sometimes, simply moving the ball forward a bit with each club as you progress upward through the set can make a huge difference. I'd also say there's a tendency with higher handicap players to swing harder, and try to get the ball "up" with longer clubs; think wedge tempo with every club and see if there is an improvement. Good luck!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I just reshafted all my clubs. I thought that would help me, and it did for the clubs I hit well, but......

Yes, I will be gaming a hybrid or two this year. Waiting for the new Callaways to come out. I hit them at a demo day and WOW.

And thank you for the suggestions. I do play these more forward in my stance, but I am also very tenative with them, so swing speed is crap, which adds to the problems.

Play golf they said. It will be fun they said.....

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I just reshafted all my clubs. I thought that would help me, and it did for the clubs I hit well, but......

Yes, I will be gaming a hybrid or two this year. Waiting for the new Callaways to come out. I hit them at a demo day and WOW.

And thank you for the suggestions. I do play these more forward in my stance, but I am also very tenative with them, so swing speed is crap, which adds to the problems.

Play golf they said. It will be fun they said.....

Wedges and other short shafted-high loft clubs are easier for every player to strike relatively straight and with relatively consistent distance control.
As the clubs get longer and with less face loft, most players accuracy and distance control suffer.
During your lessons which club (s) does your instructor usually have you swing ?

I would say that hybrids are so finicky as to whether they fit you, that if you like the BB line, the last lineup was pretty darn good, and the lineup before that - I played the most recent lineups in a 22 HY. I'd probably suggest a 22 Hy and a 28 Hy and adjust loft - a good 28 is so easy to hit.

I kept on buying Hybrids forever - was the most difficult club with which to find happiness - and that's a reason I would buy them from CPO - because you may not like it, and CPO makes everything more economical.

Wedges and other short shafted-high loft clubs are easier for every player to strike relatively straight and with relatively consistent distance control.
As the clubs get longer and with less face loft, most players accuracy and distance control suffer.
During your lessons which club (s) does your instructor usually have you swing ?

Really depends on what we are working on that day. I take a lot of lessons, probably 15-20 last year and will do that same amount this year, most likely.

He kind of lets me dictate what we are working on. We spent a lot of time on the short game, so I think that is why I do pretty well there. We did spend a good deal of time on the driver, but my thick head is just not absorbing all he is putting out there for me.

We spetn almost no time on long irons, as my game this year was driver, 7 iron, then whatever was left to get on the green, with a goal for bogey golf.

I’ll trade you. I lost track of how many holes yesterday I was within 80yds of the green off the tee and walked off the green with an 8 or worse.

Seems like you know where your deficiency is, so concentrate on that area. Plenty of choices to replace those clubs, Utility irons, hybrids, FW's.

I’ll trade you. I lost track of how many holes yesterday I was within 80yds of the green off the tee and walked off the green with an 8 or worse.

Same thing my buddy said. Sounds like we would be a great scramble team.

A lot of people do not get a good weight shift off their back foot with the longer irons as well. Its a mental thing looking down and seeing that lower loft so people try and hit up on it and hang back on their right foot. Usually that leads to thinned shots or very close to thinned and no launch. I am devising a game plan right now that will have some focus on my 6i and up this year. I want to be sweeping them a bit more like a wood. If you have a steep angle of attack with your wedges and short irons taking a big divot it might prove hard to adjust on the longer irons. There are a lot of videos and drills out there to help with hitting them better and of course I firmly believe in having a pro look at it and you are on the right track there.

My game is somewhat similar right now. Chipping and pitching is far better then it has ever been. Putting is decent to pretty good when I take my time. Driver is getting there and I really see a difference playing it at 44.5 vs 45.5 accuracy wise and the distance difference is not really noticeable to me. Woods and hybrid are decent for me right. Long irons are really inconsistent. Every now and then I can hit the 6i really well but its rare. The 5i on the other hand I hit ok sometimes off the deck but off the tee I am a machine with it and hit it pure as heck more often then not. That 5i is so weird because I pure it more off the tee then anything else in my bag. The 3U is also a bit sketchy but I only use it off the tee and have not had it long. Maybe we should start a support group and formulate a plan for all of us. :drinks:

I would say that hybrids are so finicky as to whether they fit you, that if you like the BB line, the last lineup was pretty darn good, and the lineup before that - I played the most recent lineups in a 22 HY. I'd probably suggest a 22 Hy and a 28 Hy and adjust loft - a good 28 is so easy to hit.

I kept on buying Hybrids forever - was the most difficult club with which to find happiness - and that's a reason I would buy them from CPO - because you may not like it, and CPO makes everything more economical.

I pulled the trigger on some CPO Big Berthas. Hope they hit as nicely as the 2019s. If not, back to Callaway they go and out comes another $600......

Back