Who is on Golf's Mount Rushmore?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously it can hold 4, who is on it and why?

rx12wx_large.png

Tiger Arnie Jack Hogan

domination and impact on the game

Ben Hogan, Walter Hagen, Nicklaus, Tiger

this is probably a stupid question, but if it's in the us is it just limited to us golfers? if so, i go

tiger
arnie
jack
jones

if not, i go

tiger
arnie
jack
player

• Admin
this is probably a stupid question, but if it's in the us is it just limited to us golfers? if so, i go

tiger
arnie
jack
jones

if not, i go

tiger
arnie
jack
player

Hell it doesn't even have to be players. It could be announcers, equipment people, course designers, etc.

• Admin
Johnny Miller
Johnny Miller
Johnny Miller
Johnny Miller

Hmm..... this one is really tough for me:

Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan.
4th spot is where I have the most trouble. I want to put Tiger on there but part of me feels like that is recency bias. I could make cases for Bobby Jones or Walter Hagen, but screw it, Tiger basically gave us this modern age of incredible golf. His talent, charisma brought so many casual viewers (in much the same reason I have Palmer on there) that the money ballooned and brough so many of today's young stars into the game.

I also think he changed the perception that golfers weren't athletes and is why we have so many guys POUNDING the ball like never before (unlike a few who were way longer than their competitors).

Bobby Jones
Arnold Palmer
Jack Nicholas
Tiger Woods

Seve
Jack
Arnold
Tiger

All but Jack imo had personality to grow the game and inspire people to play, Jack had the game to bring the peers of his time to their knees.

Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus, and Palmer

I would probably agree with Tiger.

Snead
Jones
Nicklaus
Tiger

tiger
arnie
jack
jones

if not, i go

tiger
arnie
jack
player

I totally agree with your US list, but if we go world wide I'd change it to:

Old Tom
Alister MacKenzie
Peter Thomson
Jack Nicklaus

Which is admittedly a bit odd, because I actually think prime Tiger beats prime Jack. Ultimately I think I couldn't put Tiger on the second one because he's still writing his legacy (and hasn't designed as many courses yet).

Nicklaus and Tiger are in a class by themselves, so I would put only those two players on "Golf's Mount Rushmore".

Bobby Jones
Gary Player
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods

Bobby Jones brought the game to America, especially the South, and dominated the sport in a way that will never be replicated. He and Eisenhower are tied for number of NYC ticker tape parades, with two.
Gary Player was and is a true global ambassador for golf.
Jack needs no introduction. His play over the course of a long career defies superlatives.
Tiger is arguably the most dominant player during a time of talent explosion in the game. Anyone enjoying making money from the game today owes an impossible debt to Tiger.

Young Tom.
Ouimet
Hogan
Palmer

Everything a golfer could be and everything a golfer should be.

Tiger Arnie Jack Hogan

domination and impact on the game

These would be my choices as well. No group had a larger impact on the game!

My four would be:

Jack
Tiger
Palmer
Annika

Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods IMO!

Bobby, Arnold, Jack, Tiger

Bobby Jones
Francis Ouimet
Ben Hogan
Harry Vardon

Back