What would YOU do?

I would lay up and try for my par or a lucky birdie. No point in trying to go for it.,

I think that if I had a wedge game like Rickie's I would have laid up to my favorite wedge yardage. Even if that meant hitting and iron off the tee. Chances are if he did that he would be looking at par at worst.

I don't fault him, if the shot had worked out and he was somewhere in the middle of the green he would have had an excellent chance at birdie to put the tournament away.
When I saw him pull driver I immediately thought of the trouble lurking left and long. His wedge game is stong, his 4 iron or 5 wood would've been the prudent play. That being said, landing on downslope of that knoll like he did was extremely unlucky. Tip of the cap to Mats for a hell of run down the stretch. Sunk some pressure putts.

with the lead he had he should have been hitting 5 iron just short of the bunker and hitting full wedge....par/par finish wins the tournament

In his case i think you hit 3wood short and old chip or putt like others did for birdie because of pin placement

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I thought he hit the correct shot. You have to hit the shot you have the most confidence in and if that was driver that is what you hit. You can't stand on the tee with a chance to win the tournament with doubt in your head.

It's great to speculate as to what one will do. No ones what they would do because being in that position isn't going to happen. He could just easily made a number with a layup. They don't play guarded golf on your, they never have. The talking heads live to second guess but these make a living hitting shots most can't dream of. He got a bad break.

The idea of a reachable par 4 is so foreign to me that I have absolutely no idea what I'd do.

I would have laid up. As a pro, he had a great chance at birdie with a short wedge. I don't understand what he was thinking.

I would have laid up. As a pro, he had a great chance at birdie with a short wedge. I don't understand what he was thinking.

I don't think a half wedge shot would have been any easier, based on the hole location.

I'd be curious how many players during the week made bogey by driving through the green and into the water? My guess is not very many.

If he laid up it would have been a little awkward especially if he was on the right side of the fairway. Going at the pin from there brings in one hard bounce into the water if the ball lands next to the pin.

He was hitting driver very well. Take the shot you're comfortable in. If that means driver at the time, then be it. The break he got was not due to making the wrong choice, it was simply a bad break. It happens.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In that situation - 2 up with 2 to play - I'd have taken the water completely out of play and made 4 the worst score I could make. Force the other guy to make 2 birdies (which he did) to have any chance. He hit a great shot in regulation and got a terrible bounce. Just seems like it would have been better to keep all the pressure on the pursuers and not give them anything.

The idea of a reachable par 4 is so foreign to me that I have absolutely no idea what I'd do.

Hi. My question assumes you can drive it on the green.

For me it's an easy answer, I go for the driver. I aim for the right side of the green with a little fade.

I go for it. I've been hitting the ball well. No need to change the way I'm playing.

Hi. My question assumes you can drive it on the green.

I know, but having never been in anything close to a similar situation leaves me ill equipped to answer. In all honesty my conservative nature would probably have me laying up.

If I'm hitting the driver well I pull it out and go for it. If I have any doubt in my head I take a hybrid and lay up.

Leading by 2 with 2 to play and his penchant for water there, there's absolutely no reason to hit driver. Not very smart at all.

I'd lay it up, there's a few zero's on that check that I'd like to see

I'm laying up all day.
Ricky, I don't blame him at all. i am positive he was possessed by the angry spirit of a young Phil Mickelson, and had no control over his own actions.

Wait, wait, I misread the question. If I'M playing that hole, I slice my driver a solid 180 down the right side, pull a short iron to get to the green, get scared of the water, chunk the short iron, grab a wedge, walk the 18 yards to the ball, get scared of the water again, hit it up on the fringe, then 3-put from 52 feet away.

with the lead he had he should have been hitting 5 iron just short of the bunker and hitting full wedge....par/par finish wins the tournament
Par par would of still put him in the playoff... he had a bogey/birdie to make the playoff...

up by 2 with 2 left? Why do anything risk/reward in that spot. Whats the chance of being close enough for an eagle put anyway? I mean your risking a certain par with a bird opportunity to go for an eagle putt? Just play the hole smart, stay away from the risk and put a wedge in your hand with a good opp for a bird up/down anyway. I'd even opt to play it safe with a 1 shot lead because I can still make bird playing it safe anyway. let the player who is losing risk his play. Don't give him an easier opportunity by screwing up your own lead. He's the one that has the catching up to do. Don't make your choice one that becomes one of winning or losing since your already winning but make it about winning or tying. Making the risk shot and you win right there, but screw it up and you lose. Imo don't afford him the opportunity to win by giving up yours. let it be that he must only win or tie you because he had to take the risks. Failing at your own risk here rewards him much more than it does you good to make it because your already winning. Why risk giving up your own lead? Does not make sense to me.

Iron or hybrid off the tee to leave a wedge in the hand for the approach. With how good Rickie is with his wedges he would still have a great chance to make bird.

I don't fault him for the decision he made since he was pounding driver and it is crazy to think it would go long, but not what I would have done.

I'm laying up all day.
Ricky, I don't blame him at all. i am positive he was possessed by the angry spirit of a young Phil Mickelson, and had no control over his own actions.

Wait, wait, I misread the question. If I'M playing that hole, I slice my driver a solid 180 down the right side, pull a short iron to get to the green, get scared of the water, chunk the short iron, grab a wedge, walk the 18 yards to the ball, get scared of the water again, hit it up on the fringe, then 3-put from 52 feet away.

I see you're modeling your game after mine. You could have chosen a much better mentor.

Back