Caught between two shaft flexes ?

MDGolfHacker

Reaction score
Handicap
16.8+
For those of us that have been fitted for drivers, but are between rated shaft speeds, IE... between a regular or stiff / stiff or x-stiff etc..., what is your determining factor for choosing the right shaft flex for you ? I had tried a bunch of drivers last year as I was upgrading all my woods, and in the driver, I fell between regular and a stiff shaft. While the numbers were very similar in spin and launch, I ultimately went with the stiff shaft as that is what I had been playing for years, but the inner voice in me said I should of gone the regular route as I'm getting older and may not carry the swing speed as well anymore. The fitter didn't offer any advice other than which felt better at the time. So do you go with the numbers, feel, coolness of the shaft graphics ? How do you choose ?

Feel.

That's the only factor that really matters.

The biggest thing to remember is that not all shafts are created equal. And what I mean by that is not about quality, but more about one companies flex might say stiff and another might be regular. Then add where the balance points land impact feel.

For those of us that have been fitted for drivers, but are between rated shaft speeds, IE... between a regular or stiff / stiff or x-stiff etc..., what is your determining factor for choosing the right shaft flex for you ? I had tried a bunch of drivers last year as I was upgrading all my woods, and in the driver, I fell between regular and a stiff shaft. While the numbers were very similar in spin and launch, I ultimately went with the stiff shaft as that is what I had been playing for years, but the inner voice in me said I should of gone the regular route as I'm getting older and may not carry the swing speed as well anymore. The fitter didn't offer any advice other than which felt better at the time. So do you go with the numbers, feel, coolness of the shaft graphics ? How do you choose ?

I like to hit both flexes but often that's not possible which means I often wind up with both flexes. I've also had luck tip trimming driver shafts 1/2" to 1" in the past.

My thought is to go with the lightest flex I feel I can control. I get a lot to test now, and for me the difference between regular and stiff is not nearly as big as a lot of folks would tend to believe. If I was getting fit, which it sounds like you were, I'd go more for what the numbers showed as long as it felt right to you.

Feel is the key. I came across this when I was getting fitted for my irons. I was using 6.0 Project X shafts. My swing speed was at the edge of being able to play 6.5's without an issue. However, I like the feel and kick I had with the 6.0's. I didn't feel like I had to constantly go after each shot to make the 6.5's work how they were supposed to, so going with the 6.0 shaft made the most sense.

I think JB is right. There is no consistency between regular / stiff for different manufacturers. If you get fit and the fitter gives you a choice then I would go with blugold's answer of feel!! IMHO!

It really depends on the shaft. As others mentioned some manufacturers or even models can play more/less stiff. I have 3 driver shafts with tips for my GBB, 2 are R and 1 is stiff. The one I am currently playing (R Flex) is the whippiest, but the most stout feeling and lowest launching is the other R.

Also, you could also go with the lower flex and tip it to get it to play stiffer.

Go with the lightest flex you can control.

For me, I'm right on the edge of stiff/x-stiff when it comes to drivers, but I am awful with it and can't control stiff shafts because I get wild with it (probably a lot mental). The x-flex gives me more confidence I'll control the shot better, and that confidence leads to better results.

I have been hitting a lot of clubs lately and really agree with the thought that the difference in flexes isnt huge. Some clubs I hit the stiff flex just as well as the regular flex. However, some of the stiffer flexes feel really tough to swing. It is totally a feel thing for me

My thought is to go with the lightest flex I feel I can control. I get a lot to test now, and for me the difference between regular and stiff is not nearly as big as a lot of folks would tend to believe. If I was getting fit, which it sounds like you were, I'd go more for what the numbers showed as long as it felt right to you.

I've found that in the same shaft model, I'm not seeing a whole big difference between the R and S models, and depending on the profile, I'll prefer one or the other. Something like the Fubuki the S works better for me, because there's a lot of feel of bending in that shaft. Something like the Tour Green, and I almost prefer the R. But if you look at the numbers on a pure strike, I don't see a ton of difference. When I last got fit, the suggestion was to basically go with what I found the center of the face with more often.

If you were truly between flexes then same shaft same other trim specs then you could slightly tip trim to accommodate.

But that's some really fine tuning going on there.

Whatever feels best and if I'm doing a fitting then I let the ball flight and numbers speak for themselves.

I go with results and feel. Usually end up in the weaker flex.

This is what I've always been told. Go with as soft as you can control. I play regular flex in my driver/woods/hybrids but stiff in my irons for control, though my fitting(s) say regular. Just works for me.

I agree with the above. I've never been fit for a driver, but I've hit a bunch of different ones. My swing speed is somewhere just under 100 usually and I actually played an X-flex in my driver for most of last year and drove the ball better with it than anything else I tried. I just stumbled into it because I wanted the driver head and that was the shaft it had. The LM numbers backed up what I saw on the course. I have a couple S-flexes that I can swap - including the same shaft I was playing in X - and there's really very little difference in the numbers. The one thing the stiffer shaft does seem to do is lower my ball flight a little which helps me because I tend to hit it high. Like others have said I'd go with the one that feels best to you and gives the ball flight you like best and not worry about which flex that turned out to be.

Feel and ball flight. At best flex is a general guide, but not even a very good one. Pick the shaft and flex that feels the best and gives you the best combination of launch, spin, and ball speed with your choice of clubhead.

Feel.

That's the only factor that really matters.

Yeah, I agree on this. I'm a feel player as well. I sometimes thing I become over-analytical and start focusing on the numbers more than the feel of the shaft. Can't play the to numbers on the course.

The biggest thing to remember is that not all shafts are created equal. And what I mean by that is not about quality, but more about one companies flex might say stiff and another might be regular. Then add where the balance points land impact feel.

Yep, I agree to this as well. When I first started golfing, I found out that that shaft flexes by one manufacturer did not equate to another. A friend of mine purchases a set of irons in R flex, only to find out they were actually senior flex in another manufacturer line. Didn't matter the labeling, as long as he was hitting it well it didn't matter.

Yeah, I agree on this. I'm a feel player as well. I sometimes thing I become over-analytical and start focusing on the numbers more than the feel of the shaft. Can't play the to numbers on the course.
Yeeeeaah, I'm not a feel player. I just like how boardy shafts feel.

Feel is the key. I came across this when I was getting fitted for my irons. I was using 6.0 Project X shafts. My swing speed was at the edge of being able to play 6.5's without an issue. However, I like the feel and kick I had with the 6.0's. I didn't feel like I had to constantly go after each shot to make the 6.5's work how they were supposed to, so going with the 6.0 shaft made the most sense.

I should of done this with a set of Callaways I was fitted for. I was on the boarder line of PX 6.0 and PX 5.5's, so I thought I could handle the 6.0's. Not sure if it was the head or the shaft, or both, but I never liked those irons. When I switched to Mizunos, I went with the PX 5.5 and have enjoyed the clubs much more. I like that I had a better feel on loading the shaft more in the 5.5's.

Try a mid to low bend point stiff...

Back