2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Didn't eat horrible yesterday....well until the ice cream cake, that was bad, but otherwise I ate fairly well.

I haven't stepped on the scale, but as of Thursday of last week the number still hasn't changed. I appear to be incapable of losing weight, but I am still going to keep trying.

Ken - OT today was pretty good. All upper body for the weight room plus an 800m row and a series of 150m rows plus a med ball excercise. The treadmill was 3 blocks of base, pushes and an all out pretty standard stuff there.

I sweat a ton and burned 676 calories so it was a solid class for sure!

How is your HR monitor working? Mine is giving me fits when I am running, I can't figure out what's wrong with it, but for the last week or so every time I start to run it randomly goes crazy and kicks my HR up to 115 then goes to gray than after a minute or two gets back to normal again.

Looking for laughs my cow cheese?

Will Swiss work for the mushrooms?

Tonight we are making Chicken Bacon Apple burgers.
Each burger is one boneless skinless chicken breast
1 slice of bacon
1/4 apple
Sage, Salt and Pepper

Put bacon, chicken and apple into grinder (Kitchenaid attachment for us, but any food processor will work)
Grind it to make ground mixture.
Add salt, pepper and sage and mix thoroughly.

Form into 6 oz patties and cook (all the way through obviously)

Never tried them before and hoping they are good.
Im not sure I will ever buy ground meat again. So easy to do your own and control what goes in it.

Side dishes have always been an issue for me because I dont love a lot of veggies. For those that like mushrooms, here is a fantastic side dish. It makes 2 servings (sides) and each one is 1 point (according to Food.com) and 2 points (according to some other site).

Creamed Mushrooms
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp light sour cream
1⁄4 cup water
2 (3/4 ounces each) wedges of Laughing Cow cheese

It sounds weird, and laughing cow cheese? Really? But its fantastic.

Both of these were very good. Kids liked the burgers.

I had a 4oz burger topped with home made salsa, a side of the mushrooms, and steamed carrot/green beans.

Great start to the week. Ate well today and knocked out a 3.3 mile run.

Hit the gym earlier, 8mile bike ride, squats, leg extensions, dumb bell bench, lay pull downs,

Swing the club now for a bit then gym round 2.

Dinner was asparagus, a locally made jalapeño brat and some oven roasted potatoes.

Lunch was meal replacement shake(strawberry, blueberry, oats)

Breakfast siggis yogurt and gluten free granola

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I get on the scale tomorrow, and just so happen to be down -1.8lbs; I will have reached the -16lb mark from when I started this delightful journey on 1/2/16. 16lbs may not be much to some, but to me it's a HUGE stride as I've struggled with my weight the past 6 years.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but 16lbs gone in 5ish weeks .... especially with my plans to keep going .... I'm off to a great start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was the first day I wasnt just staring at one of my snacks in between meals waiting to demolish it.

Almost a full month of just clean eating, and I am quite enjoying it. Have gotten very creative with what I eat.

I have been feeling like a cold is hanging just out of sight ... running noise, mild body aches ... but I forced myself to workout for an hour. Burned some major calories according to my app, and my body ...

Up until tonight I did not having cravings over the past 3 weeks ... but tonight I would LOVE a jalapeno and cheese burger from Whataburger! With fries and Diet DP ... Just can't escape those Texas roots ...

Didn't eat horrible yesterday....well until the ice cream cake, that was bad, but otherwise I ate fairly well.

I haven't stepped on the scale, but as of Thursday of last week the number still hasn't changed. I appear to be incapable of losing weight, but I am still going to keep trying.

Ken - OT today was pretty good. All upper body for the weight room plus an 800m row and a series of 150m rows plus a med ball excercise. The treadmill was 3 blocks of base, pushes and an all out pretty standard stuff there.

How is your HR monitor working? Mine is giving me fits when I am running, I can't figure out what's wrong with it, but for the last week or so every time I start to run it randomly goes crazy and kicks my HR up to 115 then goes to gray than after a minute or two gets back to normal again.

What HR monitor are you using?

Sorry for the double post ... I did not read far enough up the thread ...

I have the wrist band ... running is good ... my monitor drops in the weight the room for a about a minute ... seems to on an exercise like a pushup.

The time I had trouble with my chest monitor dropping ...it was the band ... I borrowed one of theirs and when the problem went away they let me keep it.

When it does drop it drives me bonkers! I watch the freaking board and have goals set based on those numbers.

I felt too bad to go OT today, so I spent some time the treadmill with a about 10 minutes worth of floor stuff ...

Also you are in the same calories range as my daughter, and I know how hard she works ... good job! We are headed back Wednesday night.

Do your instructors sometimes alter the exercise a bit ... I like the two I have ... they know me now ... I had to laugh the Friday ... I was light on a exercise with a 15 pound dumbbell they said go heavy on ...the instructor walked over and put a 25 pounder down and smiled ... all the while telling the treadmill what he wanted them to do. I am not sure how they track so much going on.

I use the one that Orange Theory has ... I connect to an app called OTbeat ...

Edit: Sorry I just realized I answered for some else ...

GG, with all the exercise you're doing, I would not be surprised if your weight plateaus a few times due to building muscle. As long as the body composition keeps trending in the right direction, keep on keeping on. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Today was the first day I wasnt just staring at one of my snacks in between meals waiting to demolish it.

Almost a full month of just clean eating, and I am quite enjoying it. Have gotten very creative with what I eat.

What are some of your go-to clean eating snacks?

I use the Orange Theory one, you have to for class.

Sorry for the double post ... I did not read far enough up the thread ...

I have the wrist band ... running is good ... my monitor drops in the weight the room for a about a minute ... seems to on an exercise like a pushup.

The time I had trouble with my chest monitor dropping ...it was the band ... I borrowed one of theirs and when the problem went away they let me keep it.

When it does drop it drives me bonkers! I watch the freaking board and have goals set based on those numbers.

I felt too bad to go OT today, so I spent some time the treadmill with a about 10 minutes worth of floor stuff ...

Also you are in the same calories range as my daughter, and I know how hard she works ... good job! We are headed back Wednesday night.

Do your instructors sometimes alter the exercise a bit ... I like the two I have ... they know me now ... I had to laugh the Friday ... I was light on a exercise with a 15 pound dumbbell they said go heavy on ...the instructor walked over and put a 25 pounder down and smiled ... all the while telling the treadmill what he wanted them to do. I am not sure how they track so much going on.

I never considered it could be the strap, I will mess with mine and see if that helps.

I am not sure if they deviate from plan, but they do give one-on-one attention like you described all while instructing the whole class, and I agree it's impressive!

GG, with all the exercise you're doing, I would not be surprised if your weight plateaus a few times due to building muscle. As long as the body composition keeps trending in the right direction, keep on keeping on. :)

If I was seeing a difference I wouldn't be so discouraged, but nothing is changing, at least nothing feels or looks like it's changing. However, my endurance on the treadmill is significantly better, so I know I am improving there. I would just love to see even a pound come off, hell I would take a 1/2 a pound as some form of encouragement that what I am doing is working.

If I was seeing a difference I wouldn't be so discouraged, but nothing is changing, at least nothing feels or looks like it's changing. However, my endurance on the treadmill is significantly better, so I know I am improving there. I would just love to see even a pound come off, hell I would take a 1/2 a pound as some form of encouragement that what I am doing is working.

I know what you are feeling. I'm in a similar boat, my weight has been fluctuating in a range for the last three weeks. Sometimes it's hard to see the changes. One thing to consider is a fat loss monitor this way even though the physical appearance or the scale may not show what's happening you can track your fat loss which is a big indicator of your body changes. I also measure myself weekly with tape. I use this one

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306CN-Fat-Loss-Monitor/dp/B000FYZMYK

I know what you are feeling. I'm in a similar boat, my weight has been fluctuating in a range for the last three weeks. Sometimes it's hard to see the changes. One thing to consider is a fat loss monitor this way even though the physical appearance or the scale may not show what's happening you can track your fat loss which is a big indicator of your body changes. I also measure myself weekly with tape. I use this one

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306CN-Fat-Loss-Monitor/dp/B000FYZMYK

I bought tape to measure and haven't used it yet, I think I am afraid. I thought about the fat loss monitor but I didn't know how accurate they really were. Do you think they are accurate?

The weight metric is definitely a hard one to give a semi-free reign to, especially while exercising. I've been at 196 lbs for the past 3 weeks not for lack of trying. My diet is solid, but I'm at the gym every other day for a couple hours.

If you keep the variables the same, yes. Meaning measure yourself once a week in the morning after waking up and after a glass of water. The amount of water in your system directly affects the efficiency of the device.
I bought tape to measure and haven't used it yet, I think I am afraid. I thought about the fat loss monitor but I didn't know how accurate they really were. Do you think they are accurate?

If you keep the variables the same, yes. Meaning measure yourself once a week in the morning after waking up and after a glass of water. The amount of water in your system directly affects the efficiency of the device.

i do think they area accurate and IMO more so than some of the scales that have it. Also easier to use than the calipers. Like sudseh said, of you keep it standard on when you do it then you should be fine. This one recommends first thing in the morning or two hours after you eat. I do it once a week when I first wake up.

I hated the tape too. Weight is just one tool to gauge progress but for me the true test is the look and/or body measurements.

Hang in there, you may not see the results in numbers you want but your lifestyle change is making you a healthier and better person.

What are some of your go-to clean eating snacks?

Typically my go to snacks are a mix of raw walnuts, almonds and dried cranberries. Carrots and Celery w/ 0 calorie wing sauce. A Luna Bar. Or an apple or a pear with a spoonful of Almond Butter or "Better'n Peanut Butter."

I have to laugh because I feel the same, but my body has shown me in the past that when I start these efforts I lose about 5-6 pounds the first week, and then my body sort of waits a couple of weeks before it lets go of some of the "other" weight ... I do know that I have worked out 5 times a week the last 2 weeks, burning 800 calories a work out, and significantly track my input via WW ... 2 pounds is what it has yielded me. However, I am encouraged, because again of my history, I know in the coming weeks there will be a 2-3 pound drop ...

Like you the improvements I do see is via the heart monitor ... I recover really fast, and its harder to get into the red ... At 59, I view that as good, if not better than the weight at this point.

Two years ago I was 20 pounds heaver ... I got down to 180-185 and was happy ... through exercise etc I stayed right around that weight ... I have had 170-175 on my bucket list for awhile now. The weight loss challenge was the catalyst for the recent push.

Oddly I came to golf forum for golf and end up losing weight and getting healthier ... who knew. :) Thanks to all here!

Sort of proud of myself last night ... got home at 7:30 talked myself in to running a mile only ... got on the treadmill ... got into a pace ... felt good ... 39:50 later I had 3 miles to my credit ... but wait there is more! I did it at 4 incline! I am proud of that accomplishment. I have not ran 3 miles straight in awhile. My gaol is always to be above 4mph on runs over a mile.

Burned a boat load of calories, and all that on an "off" night. Tonight is Orange Theory, oh boy.

Sort of proud of myself last night ... got home at 7:30 talked myself in to running a mile only ... got on the treadmill ... got into a pace ... felt good ... 39:50 later I had 3 miles to my credit ... but wait there is more! I did it at 4 incline! I am proud of that accomplishment. I have not ran 3 miles straight in awhile. My gaol is always to be above 4mph on runs over a mile.

Burned a boat load of calories, and all that on an "off" night. Tonight is Orange Theory, oh boy.

Damn, that's amazing, congrats!!!

Heads up on OT today it's an incline nightmare! The entire tread workout is incline, and it was a beast. Weights were mostly core with a tiny bit of rowing. Overall, I thought it was a great workout, I sweat a ton.

Back