PING Sigma 2 ZB-2 Putter Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good write up as always. I would be interested in having one in hand to see how I like the grip. I feel that is the biggest drawback on this putter as most people have a grip they prefer on their putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been waiting on this one to go up for a minute!

Hope everyone enjoys and I’d be happy to answer any further questions you might still have.

Easily the best OEM insert I have ever spent time with, truth.

Good write up as always. I would be interested in having one in hand to see how I like the grip. I feel that is the biggest drawback on this putter as most people have a grip they prefer on their putter.

This was exactly my thought entering the review, buuuuut, the grips are quality, and more impressive is that the three options nail down the three popular shapes of grips out there pretty well right now.

I am surprised that they didn’t offer them in a non adjustable model as well, but I get it at the same time.

Good write up James. I still think this is a very cool innovation as someone who plays a shorter putter; the ability to take an inch off without having to cut and regrip would be nice.

Good write up James. I still think this is a very cool innovation as someone who plays a shorter putter; the ability to take an inch off without having to cut and regrip would be nice.

Much appreciated good sir!

The adjustability I was a huge skeptic of entering, but, it’s so well built within the design aesthetically and works so easily I came away a pretty big fan.

Morning nudge for the peoples.

• Admin
Much appreciated good sir!

The adjustability I was a huge skeptic of entering, but, it’s so well built within the design aesthetically and works so easily I came away a pretty big fan.

I really dig the idea of the tech.
I just wish they did a better job of education on the length rather than saying that most are playing the wrong length.

I really dig the idea of the tech.
I just wish they did a better job of education on the length rather than saying that most are playing the wrong length.

I 1000000000000% agree with this. I stand by it being a really cool piece of tech, but what’s to keep someone from messing with it once and just assuming they have the correct length? Seems a missed opportunity for a hell of a good design.

Great write up, Jman. I have rolled these a few times in the stores. Ping may have come out with the most technologically advanced putter ever.

I 1000000000000% agree with this. I stand by it being a really cool piece of tech, but what’s to keep someone from messing with it once and just assuming they have the correct length? Seems a missed opportunity for a hell of a good design.

The company preaches fitting, or at least used to more than anybody. Yet when you go to their website on this specific putter they tell you that 8 out of 10 are playing the wrong length. Nothing about the right length, or how to self fit even a little bit or what even right or wrong posture is. We ask companies to explain since most golfers are not doing full fittings, and applaud when they explain the tech well, so I am curious why the absence of something that is really different.

When it was discussed with me, it was all about face tech, which some of is great, other has been around for about a decade.

Man do I relate to that opening sentence. I’m just not sold on the looks of the face on this line. Other than that, I’ve always been a ping putter fan

The company preaches fitting, or at least used to more than anybody. Yet when you go to their website on this specific putter they tell you that 8 out of 10 are playing the wrong length. Nothing about the right length, or how to self fit even a little bit or what even right or wrong posture is. We ask companies to explain since most golfers are not doing full fittings, and applaud when they explain the tech well, so I am curious why the absence of something that is really different.

When it was discussed with me, it was all about face tech, which some of is great, other has been around for about a decade.

Soooooooooopo much yes.

The face tech is leggggitttt but if you’re talking fitting, then you have to tell the story of why length in a putter is so critical and communicate how to apply it with this tech. It’s a missed opportunity in what is IMO their best putter line in a long while.

Great review James!

This full face insert sounds legit!

I often wonder about putting fit and what the right or wrong posture for putting is. If you look at Dave Pelz's Putting Bible and the pictures given as good examples (Pictures of some of the greatest putters in history) you will find no help. They are all over the place.

Personally, I look like a hunchback when I address the ball. My shoulders slouch and I don't like the look, but that's me playing golf. I like a blade style putter, but came to terms with the putter length I use (34") by addressing a flat bottom mallet putter with a no taper grip and finding what was comfortable using while keeping my eyes over the ball. The process made peace within myself, but is no guarantee I'm not one of the 80% mentioned.

I kinda like the idea of an adjustable length putter, but there is no way my ideal putter would have it.

p.s. the review is appreciated.

Very good review. I am part of the 8/10 that used to not have the right length putter, and it's amazing how much better one feels.

I've had times come up while playing where someone has asked to see a club just to hold and take a stance with it, and I have done the same with them. Now if someone asks that question and you game this putter, you can ask "what's your putter length" and assuming they are part of the 2/10 group that is using the right length :), they can really try the length they need. They'll be shocked, then quickly intrigued.

Soooooooooopo much yes.

The face tech is leggggitttt but if you’re talking fitting, then you have to tell the story of why length in a putter is so critical and communicate how to apply it with this tech. It’s a missed opportunity in what is IMO their best putter line in a long while.

I think fitting for putter length is about the player adopting a comfortable address posture and observing where the players eyes fall. Nearly all consistently good putters have their eyes fall on the target line or inside the target line.
I struggled with 35" putters because when holding one my natural posture had my eyes fall well outside of the target line. It was only when I tried 36" and 36.5" putters that I could comfortably position my eyes to fall on or a bit inside the target line.

I wonder this also as I prefer a SS grip but upon receiving mine and holding it all fears went right out the window. The grip is as good as any SS I've had and since Ping offers 3 sizes I'm sure you can find one that fits.

If you get a chance to roll one do yourself a favor and give it a shot. The insert is money and makes the ball roll so darn true. My usual miss is short and the way the insert makes the ball roll I'd have to try to leave one short. I'm getting the same length putts with a shorter stroke, less time for me to screw it up is always a good thing :)

Excellent review James. The adjustable length is the coolest function to me and the standard wrench to replace the key is good, I lose things sometimes lol.

The insert has me very curious, interesting reading you shortened the stroke there due to the putts rolling long.

The lines and the looks are outstanding and seeing this putter model benefits arc stroke putters I definitely want to give it a go.

How much toe hang does it have?

Nice work James. The insert definitely seems like a winner and that ZB shape is so good, I really like the modification they made to it.

The ability to change the length just isn't a huge thing to me though. I'm really curious how many people would decide to buy one because of that adjustability. Really the biggest pro I could see for it is with resale, it would apply to a bigger audience since they could adjust to their needs.

Nice review and i love this putter. The ability to adjust the length is the best part to me. I really enjoyed trying the various lengths and still change them up. It did take me a bit to learn the distance as i was hitting them to hard and past the hole. The weight is something i like also it is heavier than my previous putter.

Nice review! One question that is left stuck in my head is when changing the length, isn't that affecting the Swing weight?

I know when I lengthened my putter recently, changing the length by 3", it sent the swing weight off the scales and now I am needing a much heavier grip to help get this back down.

Nice review! One question that is left stuck in my head is when changing the length, isn't that affecting the Swing weight?

I know when I lengthened my putter recently, changing the length by 3", it sent the swing weight off the scales and now I am needing a much heavier grip to help get this back down.

You know, that is one thing I never measured in my review time. I'll get this one on the swing weight scale tonight and get you some measurements!

Adding an inch of shaft length increase swing weight by 6 points.
Grip weight influences swing weight to the ratio of approximately 1 SW point for every 8 grams of grip weight.
For fitting purposes, especially when targeting a specific swing weight, putter head designs which incorporate removable/interchangeable weights is helpful. * 2 grams of putter head weight equals one swing weight point.

You know, that is one thing I never measured in my review time. I'll get this one on the swing weight scale tonight and get you some measurements!

Going to get on this here in just a bit when I get the kids settled from breakfast.

Back