The 2020 Ryder Cup Thread

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
With the captain's announcement I figured it was time we could start talk of the next go round!
43rd Ryder Cup -- September 25-27, 2020, Whistling Straits in Wisconsin.

European Team
Captain: Padraig Harrington

Team USA

Going to be interested to see Paddy as a captain as the guy is a quirky as they come.

Watched the Padraig interview and part of his news conference on Golf Channel this morning. Padraig is such a classy and likable guy!

Met Paddy back when he won the PGA here at Oakland and he is the best guy. This is a great pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a solid choice by the Euros. Wonder if he is going to have the team all practice in swing shirts. lol

Pretty predictable, but a good pick nonetheless. I think him and his team will have a pretty big mountain to climb though to retain the trophy.

With the captain's announcement I figured it was time we could start talk of the next go round!

European Team
Captain: Padraig Harrington

Team USA

I think Steve Stricker will be the US Captain for this one. This Wisconsinite plans to be there!

This guy is hilarious!

I'd love to see Stricker get the nod for the next US captain. Having just played Whistling Straits in September I personally cannot wait to watch this! I will say that as a spectator onsite it'll be pretty interesting, there terrain there is not all that easy to navigate unless you're in the fairway. Should present an interesting challenge- obviously there have been PGA events there without issue (big ones) before so it'll be fine, just some observations I made when there.

As much as I love Paddy ,he makes me nervous. He is too much like Faldo, and we know how that went. Paddy has spent most of the last decade in USA so is out of touch with many of the young players who may be rookies in 2020. His picks as vice captains will be crucial, Westwood, Howell possibly, and input from McGinley.

Paralysis by analysis is my fear.

We are a big kohler dealer so I’m hoping to get some hospitality tickets for this one.

I like Harrington as the pick

Him vs Stricker should be good

I'd love to see Stricker get the nod for the next US captain. Having just played Whistling Straits in September I personally cannot wait to watch this! I will say that as a spectator onsite it'll be pretty interesting, there terrain there is not all that easy to navigate unless you're in the fairway. Should present an interesting challenge- obviously there have been PGA events there without issue (big ones) before so it'll be fine, just some observations I made when there.

having played there recently, how would you set the course up to benefit the americans?

having played there recently, how would you set the course up to benefit the americans?

The obvious things would be to keep the rough low and the greens fast and receptive. There is a lot of native grass, but not a ton of rough when I was there. Hell I was in the fairway a bunch most of the day and that's saying a lot. I think they'll want to set it up for scoring and make people make a ton of birdies. Birdies can be had there for sure, look no further than the winning scores of the majors Whistling Straits has hosted, these guys can go low there so the US squad would benefit from minimal rough and those quick greens.

Funny this thread gets created today. I received an email and filled out an application to volunteer for the 2020 Ryder Cup just this morning.

I like the pick, as others have said, hope Stricker gets the tap as well.

I like the pick, as others have said, hope Stricker gets the tap as well.

If it's anyone other than Stricker I think would be a huge upset.

I really like Stricker being named captain.

My thoughts are that selecting Stricker is more of the same nonsense which has contributed to Team USA losing 5 out of the past 6 Ryder Cup matches. Here are a couple of facts:

1) Any of the top 12 USA pointers earners can shoot 65 on any day, at any course.
2) Any of the top 12 USA points earners has shot 65 playing with guys they like, and also paired with guys they don't like.

At this point, considering the recent Ryder Cup record of Team USA, I believe a few changes are justified. For example:

1) Golf team Captain is an honorary position, so select a guy like Larry Nelson or Hale Irwin, players who have won multiple Majors yet were never chosen as Ryder Cup team Captain.
2) Let Nelson or Irwin name one Assistant Captain, and that's it. In recent years having so many Assistant Captains is silly , unnecessary,and counterproductive.
3) To create the best-ball and alternate shot pairings have the Captain pick names out of a hat. They're all great players so it does not matter who is partnered with whom.
4) No more filling out the roster with "Captain's picks", the top 12 points earners make the team.
5) the course that offers up the most money to host the event gets it, and the PGA may donate that money to charity

I've been reading a lot on various forums from many who don't like the choice of Stricker. Bad Ryder Cup record, never won a major, too nice, yada yada. I don't think any of those things mean diddly-squat as to whether he will make a good captain or not. Look at the Euros--Faldo was a "bad" captain, while Paul McGinley and Thomas Bjorn were good. It's about getting the players to perform, and no one has a clue who is going to be able to do that until it's over.

I will say that the people who think Steve Stricker doesn't have any "fire" don't have a clue about him. He cares as much or more than anyone about things that matter to him. This Ryder Cup captaincy does.

With any luck at all, I should be on the grounds for the week as a volunteer.

If I don't get lucky enough to be selected I'm sure I'll still find my way there for at least one day.

I've had this event circled on the calendar from the moment it was announced.

Striker is a smart choice, he is intelligent, good at listening, good temperament and widely experienced.

He may be the first to understand the European success.

I wasn't lucky enough to get tickets, hoping someone did up north and I can tag along!

I cannot wait to see how the team plays in the president's cup and see what the team composition might be in 2020 for the ryder!

Postponed to next year

Back