A chicken versus egg question

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
I have recently seen a big improvement in my iron play. Right now I have all the confidence in the world with them. That led me to wonder what came first, hitting the club well or getting confidence that I would hit it well? Can one get confidence before getting good results or do we need the feedback of a good shot (or multiple shots) to create that confidence? To me my first impulse is to say you have to have the results first but if confidence is so important to your play how do you hit the ball well before obtaining it? If confidence is a factor of feedback how many poor shots do you need to hit to lose that confidence?

Yeah, I've been told I think too much but I come from the Yogi Berra type of thinking where golf "is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

for me i have to see the results first in order to build confidence

Iron play is the best part of my game (which isn't saying a lot), but I can't hit them prom the tee box for some reason. I know a lack of confidence is compounding the problem, but I have no idea how to gain confidence without actually seeing that I'm capable of accomplishing the task.

While typing this I actually thought of something I'm gonna have to try. There's a par 3 course not too far away. I think I'm gonna play a round or two there to get some reps hitting irons from the box and see if I can figure anything out.

I have recently seen a big improvement in my iron play. Right now I have all the confidence in the world with them. That led me to wonder what came first, hitting the club well or getting confidence that I would hit it well? Can one get confidence before getting good results or do we need the feedback of a good shot (or multiple shots) to create that confidence? To me my first impulse is to say you have to have the results first but if confidence is so important to your play how do you hit the ball well before obtaining it? If confidence is a factor of feedback how many poor shots do you need to hit to lose that confidence?

Yeah, I've been told I think too much but I come from the Yogi Berra type of thinking where golf "is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

Now here is the big question... 2 or 3 bad shots gets in my head, until I hit another good one.

For me it all starts with ball striking. First I have to hit the ball solidly, once that occurs consistently then I can start to adjust for direction and distance. After that it's just a continuation of doing the same things as well as I can. Won't always be great but confidence is a fleeting ally!!

Ball striking for me. If I'm hitting the club the correct way 9 out of 10 times, then confidence comes fast.

Well you wouldn't have the confidence if you didn't see good results in the first place, no? So my answer is, hitting good shots must come first. To have confidence without the expected results is delusion.

For normal shots I don't think lack of confidence is any factor for me. Through many years I've hit all my clubs really well so I know I can do it and am always confident I can . Of course I don't always do it but that never stops the confidence. But I am not overly confident either and to be honest I don't think of confidence. I Just attempt my shots period. If I mishit? well than .........I simply attempt my next one.

Now when/if we are talking "other than normal" stuff like specialty shots. Punhouts, turning the ball, adjusting angles of attack, etc, etc.....then I'd say perhaps confidence can be questionable. But I do think confidence comes from success. You cant be confident in something you never did. You may not be scared to do it but that's not confidence related so much as it is having a pair...lol. But only once completed it successfully can you then truly feel confident

Hitting the ball well builds confidence I think.

But what if you have hit the ball well in the past and then go through, well, that period where you just seem not to be able to do much right. Did you forget how to hit the ball or is it that you approach your shots without confidence?

So far for me it is watching the ball flight.When my tops and whiffs/shanks and blams disappear my confidence just sky rockets.This seems like a game of patience.Many times the game is winning

I figure the more bad shots I hit, the more the odds are growing in my favor that I'll hit a good one. And if I put together a run of good shots, I must just be really feeling it. I try to replace real reality with "Bob Rotella" reality on the golf course.

But what if you have hit the ball well in the past and then go through, well, that period where you just seem not to be able to do much right. Did you forget how to hit the ball or is it that you approach your shots without confidence?

Alas, the golf swing is such a subtle combination of moves. Overdo one or two things, and it's gone.

Me, I aspire for technique first. There have been a few times I was stumped and had to go back to the range, but I'm usually able to fix my flaws before the round is over.

when you're in a round and start hitting bad shots, it is because you stopped doing what you were doing during your lessons.

A golfer's good shots and their bad shots can look the same on video meaning they can contain the same swing flaw.

If you are on the course and have hit a real bad shot, before you hit your next shot, during your practice swing, make sure that when you take your practice swing you are hitting all the proper positions. Then swing fluidly. Then address and hit the ball. Don't attempt any quick fixes. If anything go back to fundamentals.

I think you have to get in a groove in order for confidence to set it. You have nothing to build on and can't jus conjure up confidence and have play a roll in your ball striking

I need to visualize before gaining confidence in my swing. If I get in a rut, I'm not getting out of it until I hit a flush shot and can visualize that swing.

Back