TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Picked mine up today. Can't wait to get it out on the range/course!

Was able to give it some swings on the launch monitor before heading to the office. Will say, with the Matrix Black Tie 60m4, my launch angle jumped up from 14*/15* to 17*, and my back spin jumped up from 2100/2200 to 2900/3000 (lower numbers being with my fuju fuel). Might have just been from me not being warmed up, but will most likely be gaming this with the fule shaft (that I love).

Two things have always bothered me. The first was the sound. For whatever reason many of the past TM drivers would sound like what I would consider a low quality/knock off club to sound like. A dull thud/crack kinda sound. Secondly they have always felt very solid at Impact like I was hitting the ball with a piece of metal with no flex/give to it. The M2 had a good feel and a sound that didn't make me cringe when I hit it.

I toyed with the SLDR but never bought one. This is a serious possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful, thanks for the response G! Sounds like TM may have a winner on their hands here.

Beautiful, thanks for the response G! Sounds like TM may have a winner on their hands here.

From the swings I took with it, it is definitely a good driver but it just didn't quite work the best for me

I would definitely recommend people give it a try if they are in the market for one

I hit this today in the HL head and the results were exciting! It could very well be my driver for 2016.

Not sure I should post this here or in the review thread (please feel free to move it to the best place).

Had a chance to play a round with my new M2 today. Really enjoyed hitting it out there.

Played at Angeles National here in LA. A great Nicholas course that's pretty challenging. Weather was a perfect 73 and sunny.

I have the M2 in a 10.5* loft with a matrix black tie 60m4 stiff.

Some key things I noticed on my round today.

Feel:
-Noticeably lighter than my r15.
-Much larger sweet spot.
-Off center hits have an interesting muted feel. When you miss hit with the r15 or SLDR, it can feel like you hit a rock, this feels more like hitting a rock wrapped in velvet (best analogy I can think of).

Distance:
-Adding up all my drives, I averaged 260 today, which is a very good day for me. Longest was 280, shortest was 248 (most were between 255 and 265).
-My "big drives" felt the same to me as with my r15. 280 and 273. Had that same "I smashed it" feeling when you hit it right on the money of the sweet spot.
-When I was hitting off center, I didn't feel I was penalized too much. With my last couple TaylorMade drivers (and I've had the r7 Quad, r7CGB max, R11, r1, SLDR, and r15), I felt like miss hits would result in drives of 220 to 230, so a big penalty. I didn't feel that way today at all.

Looks:
-Loved it.

Shaft:
-Part of me loved the Matrix Black Tie. I could take very smooth swings and smack it out there. It wasn't until the 11th hole (a drivable 277 yard par 4) that I felt the big difference between it and my normal gamer (fuji fuel). I really tried to crank it and could feel the black tie just really whip open on me that resulted in a very strong fade/slice. Not blaming the m2 for that though, but it did make me question how long I will game this shaft. And if i'm being honest, I don't love the looks of this shaft compared to so many others.

Ball Flight:
-I tend to hit baby fades or draws with no real consistency one way or the other. That was the same today.
-Seemed to be having a higher trajectory, but that could be the shaft.

That pretty much sums up the 1st round with it. Will report back after the next one.

Last edited:
Not sure I should post this here or in the review thread (please feel free to move it to the best place).

Had a chance to play a round with my new M2 today. Really enjoyed hitting it out there.

Played at Angeles National here in LA. A great Nicholas course that's pretty challenging. Weather was a perfect 73 and sunny.

I have the M2 in a 10.5* loft with a matrix black tie 60m4 stiff.

Some key things I noticed on my round today.

Feel:
-Noticeably lighter than my r15.
-Much larger sweet spot.
-Off center hits have an interesting muted feel. When you miss hit with the r15 or SLDR, it can feel like you hit a rock, this feels more like hitting a rock wrapped in velvet (best analogy I can think of).

Distance:
-Adding up all my drives, I averaged 260 today, which is a very good day for me. Longest was 280, shortest was 248 (most were between 255 and 265).
-My "big drives" felt the same to me as with my r15. 280 and 273. Had that same "I smashed it" feeling when you hit it right on the money of the sweet spot.
-When I was hitting off center, I didn't feel I was penalized too much. With my last couple TaylorMade drivers (and I've had the r7 Quad, r7CGB max, R11, r1, SLDR, and r15), I felt like miss hits would result in drives of 220 to 230, so a big penalty. I didn't feel that way today at all.

Looks:
-Loved it.

Shaft:
-Part of me loved the Matrix Black Tie. I could take very smooth swings and smack it out there. It wasn't until the 11th hole (a drivable 277 yard par 4) that I felt the big difference between it and my normal gamer (fuji fuel). I really tried to crank it and could feel the black tie just really whip open on me that resulted in a very strong fade/slice. Not blaming the m2 for that though, but it did make me question how long I will game this shaft. And if i'm being honest, I don't love the looks of this shaft compared to so many others.

Ball Flight:
-I tend to hit baby fades or draws with no real consistency one way or the other. That was the same today.
-Seemed to be having a higher trajectory, but that could be the shaft.

That pretty much sums up the 1st round with it. Will report back after the next one.

Good feedback, I'm taking mine out today. Had intended to play yesterday but the morning was too cool for my taste.

I love the stock shaft options available for this club. Between Rogue Silver, Rogue Black, HZRDUS, Speeder Evolutions, a full Matrix Lineup, the new Tensei, and the KK TiNi shafts I don't know how a guy is to decide - fitting aside.

TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Shaft:

How does a shaft whip open when you swing harder/load the shaft more? Not sure I'm following on the logic behind that, seems counterintuitive, but genuinely interested to hear more.

I was able to to demo the M2 at golfsmith today. I didn't get to much time with it but I really liked it. I liked how light it felt. I was hitting it pretty far for me right off the bat with a consistent fade. Overall I really like the M2 and hope to get some more time with it.

How does a shaft whip open when you swing harder/load the shaft more? Not sure I'm following on the logic behind that, seems counterintuitive, but genuinely interested to hear more.

I'm sure I used the wrong terminology when I described it.

I have a very aggressive swing with a very late release. When I really get after it, swinging hard and fast, my fuel shaft can handle it. The black tie could not, and felt as if it was still bent open at impact, unable to keep up with my aggressive swing. But, that's only when really trying to smash it, which I don't try to do that often.

Played 18 today with the M2. The range session with the Rogue Silver wasn't the best so I swapped in a Chrome Elements + shaft I had ready to go. The club then came to life for me. Had an absolute blast playing with this driver today. High, baby draws that were traveling a good bit further then I'm accustomed to. I won't throw out yardages but will say I was dead even with one of my buddies who is generally a club and a half longer then me. The draw is not my normal flight so I need to get used to it but I'm not complaining. The driver is forgiving all across the face, my misses were no overly penalized for yardage or accuracy while well struck shots seemed to be on overdrive. Can't wait to get it back out on the course. I was planning on hitting it side by side with the XR16 today but I never took the headcover off the XR16. In the 70's midweek here so I'll be taking it out for another run.

I'm sure I used the wrong terminology when I described it.

I have a very aggressive swing with a very late release. When I really get after it, swinging hard and fast, my fuel shaft can handle it. The black tie could not, and felt as if it was still bent open at impact, unable to keep up with my aggressive swing. But, that's only when really trying to smash it, which I don't try to do that often.

Thanks for the response. I had always believed the Black Tie was one of the harder shafts to load...guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the response. I had always believed the Black Tie was one of the harder shafts to load...guess I was wrong.
Not wrong. Everyone's swing is different.

Played 18 today with the M2. The range session with the Rogue Silver wasn't the best so I swapped in a Chrome Elements + shaft I had ready to go. The club then came to life for me. Had an absolute blast playing with this driver today. High, baby draws that were traveling a good bit further then I'm accustomed to. I won't throw out yardages but will say I was dead even with one of my buddies who is generally a club and a half longer then me. The draw is not my normal flight so I need to get used to it but I'm not complaining. The driver is forgiving all across the face, my misses were no overly penalized for yardage or accuracy while well struck shots seemed to be on overdrive. Can't wait to get it back out on the course. I was planning on hitting it side by side with the XR16 today but I never took the headcover off the XR16. In the 70's midweek here so I'll be taking it out for another run.
Im anxious to hear how it compares to the XR 16.

I'll try and hit both on Thursday.

Im anxious to hear how it compares to the XR 16.

Hit both with several different shafts on the monitor only. The XR 16 has better feel. The M2, which I purchased, had good feel also, but not as good as the XR 16. The M2 feels much more solid than the M!. It feels more solid than the Ping G; that is saying a lot. I was getting the best numbers with M2. The XR felt real hot, but it wasn't showing up in the number so much.

Last edited:

Could just be that I have the wrong version of the black tie for my swing, or just need to chill out and not try to really crank on it (cause how often does that really end well anyway?).

Taylormade's marketing materials suggest that nearly as many pros are picking the M2 as the M1. I wish I had a chance to try the M2 before I bought the M1, but I'm not too upset as I love the M1.

Taylormade's marketing materials suggest that nearly as many pros are picking the M2 as the M1. I wish I had a chance to try the M2 before I bought the M1, but I'm not too upset as I love the M1.

That tends to happen with a number of their releases at the beginning.

When I picked up the M2 I was expecting a more forgiving and higher spinning version of the M1 and to a greater extent the R15.
I found more forgiveness heel side for sure, and I was getting lower spin than either the M1 or the R15 gave me, which was unexpected. Loft for loft the M2 launched higher than my R15 as well...granted, my R15 is Frankensteined a little bit.

The fitter I was dealing with said that if the M1 has the weight all the way back the numbers are pretty close to M2, buy I didnt test that theory out at all.

That tends to happen with a number of their releases at the beginning.

Yeah I know it is wise to wait with their releases, I just really liked it.

Back