Thread: 2019 PING G410 Drivers

Handicap
    tequila
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg_74 View Post
    I like this one. As a golfer who likes adjustability to help dial in optimal results, this one hits all the marks for me in terms of what’s being offered to help me play my best off the tee. I do wish the tech story was told better because then it would help those who think the price increase is a reaction to what others are doing in the market versus the gains this relates is offering over the previous version. The MPW is a little “clunky” in the sense it’s not the sliding weight we’re used to, but I can see it really dialing in a player during a fitting and not needing to be changed. This again goes back to a story to tell that isn’t being told.

The adapter is a sticking point & I look at it from a point of view of being a long time Ping driver guy, my shafts are useless with this release until a new adapter gets installed. Cobra, TM & Callaway have used the same adapter for the last few releases iirc. I think for golfers who play those brands it’s, makes it easier to at least test out the newest offering and compare before making a purchase.

Overall I’m sure the performance will shine and those who can will put this one in the bag. It just feels like it’s a reactionary release by the lack of a marketing push.
    Is a slide track really that ubiquitous? Of the 2018 releases, it wasn't found on heralded drivers such as the Rogue (entire line), M4 (Y-track on M3), F8/+ (F6+ was the only Cobra product ever to have a 9-position "sliding" weight), G400MAX, ST180 (on GT180), EXS, TS2/3, 5/785

I will admit that the empty space between settings on the 410 make it look like it is supposed to be an infinitely-adjustable track, perhaps it existed as such early in the design process. Perhaps creating (and subsequently supporting) a track system altered the head enough that PING engineers felt that they wouldn't have enough discretionary weight to move around.

The adaptor has to change at some point, does it not? An example was noted above of Apple w/ Lightning port, also the increased use of USB-C by other manufacturers, even Callaway is (and should be) transitioning to a new adaptor
    Driver: Callaway XR16 Pro 10.5į N-1 | Fairway: ???
    Hybrid: ??? | Long Iron: ???
    Irons: Wilson Staff c300 Forged 5i-PW | Gap Wedge: ???
    Sand Wedge: ??? | Lob Wedge: ???
    Putter: Evnroll ER6 Satin | Glove: Under Armour CoolSwitch

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aklawitter For This Useful Post:

JourdanInMich (01-23-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    i disagree with this. price was the biggest point of contention in the cortex thread. price has been discussed in the callaway thread, and the taylormade thread.

for me, the hardest part of the ping price is what seems to be a lack of a tech story. they are 15 years behind their competitors in moveable weight technology, and when they finally offer it their system already feels very antiquated and in no way innovative. there is still no carbon fiber, so their competitors are lapping them in materials. and the shaft options are very limited.

but performance trumps all. the 400 series was outstanding. if they can build on that success (and some early reviews indicate they may have done just that), that is no small feat and the price is more palatable.
    Crazy that not a lot of the techy bells and whistles and latest materials, etc and no marketing pushes yet they have two of the best drivers on the market in g400 lst and max.
    "It is what it is"

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emart2173 View Post
    Crazy that not a lot of the techy bells and whistles and latest materials, etc and no marketing pushes yet they have two of the best drivers on the market in g400 lst and max.

High MOI and Distance - gets the market pumped every time.

But if you're coming out with adjustability, do it right, not as an afterthought.

And give us some shafts with feel. I paid more for my Ping than a PXG.

And yes, with all the bells and whistles and composite tech, Ping does seem like your dad's driver (that would be me). lol.

But I still work and so does Ping - but distance is not quite up there it appears with the biggest boys.
    "It is good sportsmanship not to pick up lost balls while they are still rolling.Ē Mark Twain

Once you drive TexPress at an exhilarating 95-105 mph on an almost vacant tollway in the middle of Dallas, you will miss your exit. You're going too fast and not many exits.

Jerry -

Driver: Ping G400 or Max 9/TPTGolf 17 LKP
    Fairways: Tour Edge EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd
    ; GD AD F 55 & 65
    Hybrid: PXG 22 Hybrid CK Pro Red 70
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Forged 5-GW/Accra 80i
    Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56-ES, 60-SS, Titleist SM7 Raw HG 55M, 59D
    Putter: Evnroll ER8 Tour Mallet

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    High MOI and Distance - gets the market pumped every time.

But if you're coming out with adjustability, do it right, not as an afterthought.

And give us some shafts with feel. I paid more for my Ping than a PXG.

And yes, with all the bells and whistles and composite tech, Ping does seem like your dad's driver (that would be me). lol.

But I still work and so does Ping - but distance is not quite up there it appears with the biggest boys.
    I donít think their adjustability is an afterthought. They added 3 extra positions for loft and the ability for 3* in lie. Their mwt matches what their custom work on tour and in their shop were doing for orders from fittings/requests

Their stock ping shafts are some of the best on the market and are designed to work with their heads and in all the years Iíve hit ping drivers their stock pairings work for the large majority of golfers. They do a lot of testing before a non ping shaft gets added as an offering.

Upgraded shafts are more of a one off than standard outside of internet golfers.

Thereís plenty of golfers who have seen the g400 line hit the ball longer than other brands including myself. It was longer than epic, 917 and m3/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It is what it is"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to emart2173 For This Useful Post:

Pkielwa (01-23-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,157 Posts
    This looks like a strong follow up performance wise to what we saw from the G400 line. I was a huge fan of the Max. I'm not a fan of the trackless weight system. I realize it can be dialed in during a fitting, but for those who might tinker afterwards, it seems it could be a clunky system. That said, this story is more about some level of adjustability added to the high MOI and forgiveness story Ping pairs with their forged face. It'll be fun watching the feedback on this one.
    ProudEST Member of TEAM THP for The Grandaddy 2018!
    WITB

2019 Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree, Project X Smoke 70g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Epic Flash 3W and 5W, Project X Smoke 75g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Big Bertha 3H, Handcrafted Project X Black 85g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Apex Irons 5-AW, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 54 & 58, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
    Odyssey 2019 Stroke Lab Tuttle

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dacatalyst41 For This Useful Post:

Snickerdog (01-23-2019)

You Are Great
    Handicap
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20,192 Posts
    To each their own, I suppose. Wish I had that kind of spark with G400. Hoping that when LST gets released it blows me away.
    Captain of the 2019 Morgan Cup for Team Hackers!

KING F9 Speedback 9* Driver
    KING F9 Speedback 13.5* Tour Fairway
    KING Black 18* Utility Iron
    KING Forged TEC Black 4-G Irons
    KING Black 54/58 Wedges
    Super Rat -or- 5w Putter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Canadan For This Useful Post:

tpluff (01-23-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadan View Post
    To each their own, I suppose. Wish I had that kind of spark with G400. Hoping that when LST gets released it blows me away.
    Exactly. Test, demo, get fit or blind buy whatever one chooses to do and play what works for them. Could be distance, dispersion, looks, sound, feel, price, brand preference or anything else.

Not every club is going to work the same for everyone.

"It is what it is"

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,213 Posts
    I don’t think their adjustability is an afterthought. They added 3 extra positions for loft and the ability for 3* in lie. Their mwt matches what their custom work on tour and in their shop were doing for orders from fittings/requests

Their stock ping shafts are some of the best on the market and are designed to work with their heads and in all the years I’ve hit ping drivers their stock pairings work for the large majority of golfers. They do a lot of testing before a non ping shaft gets added as an offering.

Upgraded shafts are more of a one off than standard outside of internet golfers.

There’s plenty of golfers who have seen the g400 line hit the ball longer than other brands including myself. It was longer than epic, 917 and m3/4.

I own G400 Max and G400 head. Had my my consistent round with the G400 - 13/14 fwys, and then changed to the Max, of course. TInker, tinker, troublemaker.

I think the execution of the weights was an afterthought - it works but a slight track at each weight would have sealed the deal.

I tried the Alta and the Ping Tour - just did nothing for me. Put two Altas in there, same model, same head, same swingweight and one shaft performed consistently better than the other - my instructor had Trackman and he put each of his guys through a similar test to see the consistency of the shaft.

At $540, give us some red meat.

I don't believe the 410 is a significant improvement - it's a refined version. I'll wait for next year. Thx. But for those who don't have a 400, I'd say 'go for the 410.' Or heck, buy a 400 and save some cash for a shaft.
    "It is good sportsmanship not to pick up lost balls while they are still rolling.Ē Mark Twain

Once you drive TexPress at an exhilarating 95-105 mph on an almost vacant tollway in the middle of Dallas, you will miss your exit. You're going too fast and not many exits.

Jerry -

; GD AD F 55 & 65

#JakeNation

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31,261 Posts
    I own G400 Max and G400 head. Had my my consistent round with the G400 - 13/14 fwys, and then changed to the Max, of course. TInker, tinker, troublemaker.

I think the execution of the weights was an afterthought - it works but a slight track at each weight would have sealed the deal.

I tried the Alta and the Ping Tour - just did nothing for me. Put two Altas in there, same model, same head, same swingweight and one shaft performed consistently better than the other - my instructor had Trackman and he put each of his guys through a similar test to see the consistency of the shaft.

At $540, give us some red meat.

I don't believe the 410 is a significant improvement - it's a refined version. I'll wait for next year. Thx. But for those who don't have a 400, I'd say 'go for the 410.' Or heck, buy a 400 and save some cash for a shaft.
    Imo youíre greatly underestimating the difference that weight can/will make in fitting the heads, that addition is not something Iíd call just refining myself, 16g is a **** ton of weight in a design.
    WITB:
    Cobra
    - F9 10.5 -
    TPT Golf 16LKP-MT-SW
    TaylorMade - M5 15.0 - Aldila XTorsion 70X
    Tour Edge Exotics - CBX 19.0 - UST Mamiya Hybrid Proto F5
    Srixon - U85 23.0 - UST Mamiya Recoil F5
    New Level - 902 Forged 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
    New Level - M-Grind 50(49)/54/60 - Modus 115 Wedge
    SWAG
    - Handsome Too Raw Carbon

Taylormade - TP5x

In for Review:

Proud former
    #TheGrandaddy Captain!

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Imo you’re greatly underestimating the difference that weight can/will make in fitting the heads, that addition is not something I’d call just refining myself, 16g is a **** ton of weight in a design.
    Maybe we have a failya to communicate on my part -- the perimeter weights from all account do affect ball flight - Ping does as Ping says.

My point -- I would have liked better execution of that weighting, maybe a slight track. Just don't see see the extra $140 in value over the G400 Series. Some don't need the weighting - I spent too much $$$ on lessons for close to center hits - lol - and want max MOI. So weighting not needed, I hope. But a short track to make small changes on either side - that would have been fun.

And while we're at it, how about a Ping Tour 55g shaft along Helium lines or something similar - smooth with some kick.

Oh, heck, I might as well admit it. Once you like a TPT shaft, it's tough to go to anything else. Spoiled man-child that I am.

Jerry -

; GD AD F 55 & 65

Handicap
    5.0 Grint
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,017 Posts
    I think anyone with a G400 head now should try this, maybe the improvements aren't great, maybe they are. You should try the new one just to see if the performance is better.
    I stated before, I am a fan of the red so there is that but wouldn't buy on color alone.
    G400 Max 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff Flex
    3W F85 15į UST ProForce V2 5F3
    5W F85 18* Project X 5.5
    7W GBB Epic 21* Diamana 50 Reg Flex
    5-PW JPX 919 Hot Metal Recoil 95 F3
    50F 54 & 58 S grind
    Select Newport
    Chrome Soft ProV1X
    3.5 push cart
    VS4
    2016 Cleveland Short Game Shootout
    "Forget the last hole played, you can't change the outcome. Move on."

#JakeNation

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31,261 Posts
    Maybe we have a failya to communicate on my part -- the perimeter weights from all account do affect ball flight - Ping does as Ping says.

My point -- I would have liked better execution of that weighting, maybe a slight track. Just don't see see the extra $140 in value over the G400 Series. Some don't need the weighting - I spent too much $$$ on lessons for close to center hits - lol - and want max MOI. So weighting not needed, I hope. But a short track to make small changes on either side - that would have been fun.

And while we're at it, how about a Ping Tour 55g shaft along Helium lines or something similar - smooth with some kick.

Oh, heck, I might as well admit. Once you like a TPT shaft, it's tough to go to anything else.
    But, letís not forget that much weight (16g) being that far back in any of the three spots will be a benefit to the MOI.

Itís a new world for PING. Callaway not TM jumped right in to full on sliding weights, itís no surprise ping didnít either, is it?
    WITB:
    Cobra
    - F9 10.5 -
    TPT Golf 16LKP-MT-SW
    SWAG

Taylormade - TP5x

In for Review:

Proud former
    #TheGrandaddy Captain!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jman For This Useful Post:

mr.hicksta (01-23-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,213 Posts
    But, let’s not forget that much weight (16g) being that far back in any of the three spots will be a benefit to the MOI.

It’s a new world for PING. Callaway not TM jumped right in to full on sliding weights, it’s no surprise ping didn’t either, is it?
    No surprise, Ping seems to approach new tech (composite, weights) very slowly. But the drivers perform. I mean, I've got two G400 heads at home. 16g is a lot weight - yes. I've got a heavy center weight in both heads at D5. I might have bit if they had more shafts. I know we all like shiny and new but I told myself buy CPO or wait for Ping to lower the price - it's a 2 yr cycle for driver for me. I just don't want to spend time adjusting to a new shaft/head combo.

But everyone else - have fun.

Jerry -

; GD AD F 55 & 65

#JakeNation

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31,261 Posts
    No surprise, Ping seems to approach new tech (composite, weights) very slowly. But the drivers perform. I mean, I've got two G400 heads at home. 16g is a lot weight - yes. I've got a heavy center weight in both heads at D5. I might have bit if they had more shafts.
    Iíve got both as well, performance doesnít lie and this club will tell itís story in that over time for sure
    WITB:
    Cobra
    - F9 10.5 -
    TPT Golf 16LKP-MT-SW
    SWAG

Taylormade - TP5x

In for Review:

Proud former
    #TheGrandaddy Captain!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jman For This Useful Post:

mr.hicksta (01-23-2019)

I <3 GAWLF
    Handicap
    Winter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,872 Posts
    But, letís not forget that much weight (16g) being that far back in any of the three spots will be a benefit to the MOI.

Itís a new world for PING. Callaway not TM jumped right in to full on sliding weights, itís no surprise ping didnít either, is it?
    I'd have to think that a housing for a sliding weight is much heavier than what Ping did here too. And it's already a heavier head in the industry. Maybe they just didn't see the benefit of the absolute fine tuning of a sliding weight vs the weight of the infrastructure to implement it. Or maybe that could change if they had, say, a carbon crown. 16g is a lot and they say it can provide 10 yards left and right, so if you are in between you can just play a 5 yard cut or baby draw. No different than we saw from Cortex losing the rear sliding weight for heel and toe weights that they felt more effective.

In the end, I want to hit the LST badly.
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 9į ​UST Mamiya HeLIUM Prototype
    Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15į) Project X Even Flow Blue
    BBA 815 3H (19į) Fujikura Speeder 865
    JPX 919 Forged 4-GW ​True Temper DG 120 TI [Thanks to Ultimate Weekend!]
    Mack Daddy 4 54į X / MD3 Milled 58į W True Temper DGTI 120 / Onyx Wedge
    O-Works #7s Black
    Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tpluff For This Useful Post:

Desmond (01-23-2019)