Advantages of Playing with New Golf Balls?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Ever since I started playing, I always considered myself not good enough to play with brand new balls. That, and the obvious price point. I play with second-hand or even older balls, which end up like 30 to 40 cents per ball. I like pro-V's, so if I play with new ones, that would set me back around 4 dollars per ball, a x10 price difference per ball. I usually consume around 3 to 4 balls per round, so that would end up 16 dollars a round if I lost 4 balls.

I've been given some new balls in the past, but I've not been able to find noticeable differences in performance, perhaps because the new balls did not last very long. :)

Someone gifted me with a sleeve of new pro-v's on my birthday, but I'm still too cheap to use them.

So my question is, are there considerable advantages with using new balls? Is it quantifiable? Is it worth it?

I buy some AAAA used balls and have no issues with them. Just don't buy "recycled" golf balls that have been painted.

I can lose a new ball just as well as a used ball. I'm an equal opportunity golfer.

It doesn't bother me playing with a new or used ball in good condition. About the only thing I will not do is use a brand spanking new ball on a water hole. I'd prefer to hit it more than once before it's gone.

I typically use 5A used balls from lostgolfballs.com. I've never really had issues with them. I think balls get into their 4A groups that shouldn't so I stick with 5A. They are still significantly cheaper than new balls and most look brand new.

as with pretty much everything in golf, it's worth it if it's worth it to you. i get a certain satisfaction out of playing with a new ball, as i do with playing with a newer glove. i'm not sure there's any quantifiable difference, but i do prefer it so that's what i do.

Depending where your greenside game is my opinion is not much of a difference, I play new Q-Stars but I also usually find them for about a buck a ball online new. I have played used balls and my game doesnt change. For me its more of a mental thing.

All I play with is used balls, 4A or up. The only time it would affect your game is if the ball has a large scuff which amplifies off-axis spin, or if the ball is water logged.

I play with AAAA and AAAAA balls almost exclusively from lostgolfballs.com. I buy them hundreds at a time when a good deal is to be had on the website and I never worry about losing one since they are so cheap. The only time I play new balls now is if they were free (gift, tournament, prize, etc.) or I'm traveling and I run out of used balls.

Nothing wrong with buying AAAA or AAAAA golf balls in your favorite brand and saving yourself some money.

I have no issue putting a near new premium ball in play instead of a brand new ball.

Similar advantage a race car has with new tires...at the least keep 1 new ball to putt with...

Similar advantage a race car has with new tires...at the least keep 1 new ball to putt with...
Unless you're interested in playing by the rules, that is.

Unless you're using used balls from a simulator or something, I wouldn't mind using used balls. As long as the cover is still in good shape, the core is going to be good too.

I usually go to lostgolfballs.com as well. If I do buy new its usually the previous year at a discount. Also started just asking for golf balls for my bday amd Christmas.

I started buying new after I was consistently in the 80's. Now more so since #BestBallEver. But....it is only new before the first hit.

I've never bought used golf balls before but have bought plenty of logo overruns or closeout balls. I now play either a Bridgestone B330 or a Maxfli U6 and since I bought 13 dozen Maxlfi U6's on closeout last year at Golf Galaxy for $12.50/dozen, I will have no need to buy any golf balls for a couple years.

As long as there are no scuffs or cuts on the cover, I don't think it matters much.

I can say I have never bought used golf balls. More of a personal preference for me. The only thing that would come to mind for me would be greenside performance.

For me it would be a confidence issue. If a shot came out wrong the used ball would be suspect because it couldn't be me, right??

I usually play used balls. I will play new balls for tourneys, courses that are pretty open, or if I get some gifted to me at the course. Otherwise, used it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting with a new ball makes a difference. A new ball rolls smoother and truer in my opinion.
As per local rule we are allowed to change balls on the putting green so we putt with new balls.

We then rotate these putting ball off the tees whenever needed.

I play only on weekends (four rounds in a month) so it doesn't burn my pockets too much.

I don't think many of us will really notice the difference between a good second hand and a new ball, but there's satisfaction in teeing up a new ball for me...

When I was averaging 6+ lost balls per round, I was using second hands as well, now that my game is a bit more solid, I use new ones.

I like new balls, but don't often hit them. I'm in the used camp, I get AAAA or better quality balls from golf ball nut, usually a 50 or 100 count Callaway mix bucket. I don't notice much difference in the quality. About the same as a new ball looks after a couple of holes, and much less expensive. Plus it's more green. :peace2: :peace:

I typically use 5A used balls from lostgolfballs.com. I've never really had issues with them. I think balls get into their 4A groups that shouldn't so I stick with 5A. They are still significantly cheaper than new balls and most look brand new.
I also buy pretty much all my balls now from lostgolfballs.com, unless there's a ridiculously good deal on new/last year's model online somewhere. Except for some player marks, you couldn't tell most AAAAA balls from a new ball if you put them side by side.

Thanks for asking this. I've always wondered. I've noticed some short game difference with Chrome and V1 but I think I might just be playing well some days and not so well other days. My game is so different every round I can't honestly tell. Thanks again for asking this.

Thanks for asking this. I've always wondered. I've noticed some short game difference with Chrome and V1 but I think I might just be playing well some days and not so well other days. My game is so different every round I can't honestly tell. Thanks again for asking this.

You're welcome. No problem, bro. That's what THP is for.

Back