jrex1434

Reaction score
Handicap
A few months back I finally jumped feet first into the beer brewing hobby. I have brewed 3 batches now, A Honey Brown ale, a smokey porter, and a Double IPA. I am currently working on a recipe for a double chocolate Peanut butter stout.

Are there any other brewers on here, may be we can share some tips and brew ideas

You should bring some of that to the THP Event in your area this year. :D

Oh that Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout sound fabulous.

Always something I've wanted to dive into but could never find the time.

I used to brew but our new place makes it tougher for me to do it, i def miss it, is a great fall/winter/spring hobby

Post questions any time. I used to brew a lot.
I started doing the 5 gallon syrup-based batches and ended up with a ghetto 10 gallon all-grain set up.

Love brewing beer, and I'd love to hear some tips on here... I have a few pieces of old medical equipment that I've jerry rigged to help cool the wart instead of buying one of those pumps/expensive copper cooling coils. Anyone have any tips on inexpensive lagering fridge setups?

Love brewing beer, and I'd love to hear some tips on here... I have a few pieces of old medical equipment that I've jerry rigged to help cool the wart instead of buying one of those pumps/expensive copper cooling coils. Anyone have any tips on inexpensive lagering fridge setups?

If you can find a chest freezer on the cheap, you can use one of these to keep it at acceptable lagering temps. I think I got our small chest freezer for about $125. You can find better deals on the controller on ebay too.

I don't have the space, but have always thought it would be fun to do. If you brew it, there will be a THPer who will test it for you.

I've been doing it for 3 years now. I just made a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.

What are you using for the Peanut Butter flavoring? I used 2 pounds of PB2 at the end of the boil. I only got about 4 gallons out of the batch since most of the peanut butter settles out during the fermentation. It was a fun experiment but I'm not sure I'll make it again due to the cost of the PB2, the smaller batch size and the general mess of brewing with powdered peanut butter.

I've been doing it for 3 years now. I just made a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.

What are you using for the Peanut Butter flavoring? I used 2 pounds of PB2 at the end of the boil. I only got about 4 gallons out of the batch since most of the peanut butter settles out during the fermentation. It was a fun experiment but I'm not sure I'll make it again due to the cost of the PB2, the smaller batch size and the general mess of brewing with powdered peanut butter.

I agree.. It is a bit of a mess and a lower yield.. But.. My wife is the Brewer and that PB is awesome.. I don't fool with it .. Just drink it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I brew now and again, less so with the house we're in now as I don't have a good spot for fermenting. I always go dual stage - first in the bucket for a week, then I filter and move to a glass carboy for the second stage. I found that the beers ended up much smoother once I started doing that.

Last beer I made was a firecracker beer - used an ale extract kit and added 2lbs of red hot candies at the end of the boil. I wasn't too thrilled with the color (ended up pink rather than a red) but the taste was amazing. Perfect summer beer.

I used to make a Chocolate Porter, which was one of my better brews.
I didn't use any actual chocolate, just a couple tablespoons of good vanilla to bring out the chocolate flavors of the chocolate malt when I racked it to the keg.

Been brewing for years. Here is my setup before I moved it - still the same in principal but now on a moveable cart.
2012_0512FirstAllGrainBrew_0028.jpg

2012_0512FirstAllGrainBrew_0044.jpg

I also redid the controls about a year ago but never finished the operator interface (still a work in progress) -
IMG_4061_zps017b9724.jpg

IMG_4062_zps5d37d4cc.jpg

ScreenShot2014-11-06at85247PM_zps8b6d53cb.png

Hot Liquor Tank
2012_0512FirstAllGrainBrew_0032.jpg

Mash Tun
2012_0512FirstAllGrainBrew_0031.jpg

Wow Awesome setup!!!

I was going to originally use PB2, but I spoke with the local brew shop and for a heck of a lot cheaper I get myself some Brewers best Peanut butter flavoring, this will be the first time I have tried flavoring any beer. I am pretty sure in the next few months I will be stepping up to a full on all grain set up, from the sounds of it, it is the only way to go.

A close friend of mine on here musicmaster6921 invited me down to an event in lower Michigan March 5th, maybe i'll cruise down with him and bring a couple brews... I don't think this current batch will be ready by then.

Damn WU, pretty sweet setup.
I would think you could make pretty much any type of liquor you wanted with that setup, right?

Damn WU, pretty sweet setup.
I would think you could make pretty much any type of liquor you wanted with that setup, right?

If I had a still I could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's definitely a pretty impressive setup. I just use a 10 gallon igloo cooler as a mash tun for my all grain brewing. Pretty basic but it gets the job done.

Wow, wubears. That's a killer setup. I knew if I ever got into it that what I would have wanted to do. Maybe in the next house I will find some room to set something like that up.

If I ever do be ready for a slew of PMs. haha.

Wow, great setup! I've only brewed once and did it at a local place that was in a strip mall. They provided everything needed, all you had to do was the work (measure, boil, keg and then bottle). IIRC, it yielded 4-5 cases bottled and I had made labels there as well.
Would love to get into it as a winter hobby once we buy a house.

That's a nice set up wubears!!!
I woulda loved for something like that back when I was home brewing.

Damn what a set up. Like I mentioned before it has always been a ponder of mine, but have never found the time.

For those that have been brewing, would you recommend any of those starter kits, or are they just that starter kits? I would be looking to do a chocolate porter or stout of some sorts.

Damn what a set up. Like I mentioned before it has always been a ponder of mine, but have never found the time.

For those that have been brewing, would you recommend any of those starter kits, or are they just that starter kits? I would be looking to do a chocolate porter or stout of some sorts.

A starter kit from a reputable lhbs (local home brew store), would contain a lot of reusable components.
There are a some single use kits out there too, but I would stay away from them.

Back