Cobra KING F9 Fairway Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome review Cap. I’m very excited to get these in the bag for the MC.

Adding the CNC milled face to the fairways is a huge step in the tight direction IMO.

Also your sound comparison to baseball (wood vs aluminum) is a great analogy.

One of the reasons I’m leaning two fairways vs 1 fairway and hybrid is the CNC milled face

Nicely done Dan!!

Color me excited! I’ve been wanting to test run this club since it was announced. I’ve had so many positives with the F8, the F9 sounds a winner. Plus I’m a fan of the color scheme.

Good stuff Dan. Like OITW mentioned, the wooden bat sound analogy came across very well. I'm a fan of more muted acoustics in clubs, with a solid thwack beating a tingy sound every day.

With the GC2 being out, was it difficult to get ball speed #s? Would you say it is comparable to other 5 woods in that regard?

Also, and I'm sure the Christmas break had a lot to do with chances to tinker, but were you able to play around with MyFly settings? Perhaps lofting it down all the way to 17 would help lower spin a little to get it slightly more in your realm?

Great review and now I’m considering a two FW setup for the MC. I love the good ground interaction aspect and I look forward to testing it out.

Really good review Dan. It's been awhile since I've tried a Cobra FW, but I keep thinking about those baffler rails and how they might help in the conditions I usually play in. It's going to be at the top of the ponder list, that's for sure.

Good stuff Dan. Like OITW mentioned, the wooden bat sound analogy came across very well. I'm a fan of more muted acoustics in clubs, with a solid thwack beating a tingy sound every day.

With the GC2 being out, was it difficult to get ball speed #s? Would you say it is comparable to other 5 woods in that regard?

Also, and I'm sure the Christmas break had a lot to do with chances to tinker, but were you able to play around with MyFly settings? Perhaps lofting it down all the way to 17 would help lower spin a little to get it slightly more in your realm?

Really tough questions for me as a golfer, for a couple reasons - First, I don't game a five wood on a regular basis, so by design everything is going to look high to me. I play a low launching Utility iron in the 18 degree slot, built purely for wind penetrating power, so it is naturally going to be difficult to really dial in what makes sense for my numbers.

I found my friend to be a much better sample size (rare poster on THP by the screen name Keefa). He's been gaming five woods for a long time, and immediately found success with this one both off the deck and off the tee. He's also more of a neutral spin profile, and the launch really suited his game well with the atmos.

We did a bit of tinkering with MyFly and the same success we've seen in the past rung true. There is definitely some flexibility there to fit the slot in the bag better, but I don't see it as a solution for a golfer with ill fitting spin or launch rates at stock setup.

cobra-king-f9-fairway-woods-crown.jpg

Most all brands are producing busy tops for their drivers, fairways, and hybrids, so I guess that is what consumers want and, or, is what sells well. My own preference is for a plain top.

Great review Dan. The FWs are one of the things I'm most excited about, since I haven't gamed them in a long (possibly ever?) time. Can't wait to work them into my game.

Most all brands are producing busy tops for their drivers, fairways, and hybrids, so I guess that is what consumers want and, or, is what sells well. My own preference is for a plain top.

I find comfort in that each of the elements on the top play a role. The small steps support aero. The front to back bars increase the strength of the carbon crown.

Great write up with much valuable information... Thanks

Great job on the review, very informative. Pretty neat hearing about how the baffler rails change based on each FW loft.

The idea of taking the shorter 5-6 wood and tuning it down to 17 or 17.5 degrees has me really intrigued as a way to create a shorter, more controllable launch off the ground while still having a driver alternative when I don't need as much distance off the tee.

Awesome review, Dan. Cobra looks to have a really strong lineup in 2019.

Great review Dan. Sure looks like a solid performer, the F8 3 wood is great fairway, if the F9 is even better than Cobra has another winner in the stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review and now I’m considering a two FW setup for the MC. I love the good ground interaction aspect and I look forward to testing it out.

Reinforces my decision to go with two Fwys - i like the fairway vs the hybrid due to the CNC milled face

The idea of taking the shorter 5-6 wood and tuning it down to 17 or 17.5 degrees has me really intrigued as a way to create a shorter, more controllable launch off the ground while still having a driver alternative when I don't need as much distance off the tee.

Awesome review, Dan. Cobra looks to have a really strong lineup in 2019.

I did this with my F7 and 43” shaft it is fantastic both off the deck and tee for me

Reinforces my decision to go with two Fwys - i like the fairway vs the hybrid due to the CNC milled face

I did this with my F7 and 43” shaft it is fantastic both off the deck and tee for me

I'm currently running a 43.25" shaft in my 17° 4-wood, and I love it, but I choke down at least an inch anytime I'm playing it off the deck. Getting a slightly shorter shaft might cost me a little bit of distance off the tee, but I'd happily trade that to feel more comfortable playing a fairway wood off the deck when it's made to be played shorter.

That was a great review Dan. Last years fairway wood was one of my favorite feeling ones ever and had pretty good performance. It sounds like some of the tweaks they made have improved on that a bit.

Really tough questions for me as a golfer, for a couple reasons - First, I don't game a five wood on a regular basis, so by design everything is going to look high to me. I play a low launching Utility iron in the 18 degree slot, built purely for wind penetrating power, so it is naturally going to be difficult to really dial in what makes sense for my numbers.

I found my friend to be a much better sample size (rare poster on THP by the screen name Keefa). He's been gaming five woods for a long time, and immediately found success with this one both off the deck and off the tee. He's also more of a neutral spin profile, and the launch really suited his game well with the atmos.

We did a bit of tinkering with MyFly and the same success we've seen in the past rung true. There is definitely some flexibility there to fit the slot in the bag better, but I don't see it as a solution for a golfer with ill fitting spin or launch rates at stock setup.

This was an excellent answer. Thanks Dan! Any chance Mr 441 has had a chance to give it a go? Wondering how it compares to his Rogue Heavenwood.

This was an excellent answer. Thanks Dan! Any chance Mr 441 has had a chance to give it a go? Wondering how it compares to his Rogue Heavenwood.
I did but it was at top golf and my swing was trash.

However I kid you not I was talking to a few people regarding the F9 FW. Considering picking up a 3W and fiddling with it between 3W and a 4W which would lead into the G400 5W or heaven wood (1 of them needs benched since there isn't much difference)

I did but it was at top golf and my swing was trash.

However I kid you not I was talking to a few people regarding the F9 FW. Considering picking up a 3W and fiddling with it between 3W and a 4W which would lead into the G400 5W or heaven wood (1 of them needs benched since there isn't much difference)

Yeah I can see that 3-4 gapping better there. Hope it works out well for you. I like what Cobra's done with the line overall

Great review Dan. How would you compare the face height or how shallow the face is to other current fairway woods?

I'd love to see the two fairway models side by side in a non marketing pic.

Great review, Dan. I've never had a Cobra club in the bag, but the past couple years I've been especially intrigued by the fairways and hybrids. I may give a 5/6 a shot at the Rogue heavenwood. Just saw the black/grey version on Budget, and it looks fantastic.

I saw a 3-4w today in my local shop. Looks amazing at address. It was in Avalanche white. The face seems nice and shallow to me which would be beneficial for me off the deck. It could just be me but it seemed lots more upright than others? Can anyone else comment on that? Seems perfect for me since I play my irons 2-3* upright. Can’t wait to give it a swing.

Back