Awstyn

Reaction score
Handicap
Gearing up for the year and was just delivered some personalized ball markers. They are big... 1.5 inch. diameter (about the size of a poker chip but less than half as thick).

I like them and am planning to use it but don't want to be a jerk. So my plan is to carry two markers this season.

I'm thinking about going to the hardware store and buying small flat washers (1/2 inch or less?). Copper might end up becoming to hard to locate once it oxidizes, and I'm concerned that if I get something that small I might need a spike or something to keep it from moving.

What have you used successfully, or could suggest?

Gearing up for the year and was just delivered some personalized ball markers. They are big... 1.5 inch. diameter (about the size of a poker chip but less than half as thick).

I like them and am planning to use it but don't want to be a jerk. So my plan is to carry two markers this season.

I'm thinking about going to the hardware store and buying small flat washers (1/2 inch or less?). Copper might end up becoming to hard to locate once it oxidizes, and I'm concerned that if I get something that small I might need a spike or something to keep it from moving.

Curious why you think you would be a jerk for using them? Just make sure they aren't in someones line when they are putting and you'll be fine. I myself love a good size ball marker

I carry one poker chip size and one smaller one. I carry the second one mostly to loan out or to mark some else ball.

I carry a small manhole cover with me. Just to make sure everyone sees it and doesn't walk thru my line. :act-up:

I usually carry a silver half dollar and a dime. Dime is easy to see and very small if it's near someone's line.

Appreciate the response. I guess I'm just used to the magnetic clip style markers and mostly feeling out how people felt about it.

You could use that on longer putts then once you get 6-8 feet or in, use a smaller type of marker like a quarter or even a dime. Could also use a penny so it blends in more, being that close you won't lose it. I've used pennies in the past for long putts and couldn't find it right away (embarrassing). Last year I used the white side of the THP AC marker, no more problems.

I understand you don't want to be a jerk, I've thought that in the past too with my bigger markers. As long as it's not in anyone's line, it's on them to not get distracted by it.

Also just noticed you're new to THP, welcome!!!!!

Appreciate the response. I guess I'm just used to the magnetic clip style markers and mostly feeling out how people felt about it.

I prefer having them in my pocket and bigger they are the harder it is to lose and easier for people to see on the green so they don't step in my line. I've had the magnetic clip on hat before and it fell off at one point. I didn't go back after that.

I use a silver maple leaf. I love a man hole cover marker. And if it is in someone's line I just move it.

The poker chips seem too big to me. I have one, but I use my hat clip markers.

82bfb7e3d89c130354fe3c9829645bbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually have 2-3 on me but mostly mark with a seamus marker that is very similar in size to what you are describing. I like that it is heavier so I don't lose it, bigger so it can be seen but pretty flat so if someone were to miss their line by that much it wouldn't kill the roll. It isn't super shiny and is a dull copper color so not really eye catching to be distracting when someone else is putting but that is pretty subjective.

I have one on an odyssey divot tool that is smaller than I have one in the nexbelt buckle. I like to have a back up so I can mark other peoples balls if they are delayed to help keep the group moving.

The poker chips seem too big to me. I have one, but I use my hat clip markers.

82bfb7e3d89c130354fe3c9829645bbc.jpg

I agree. Not a fan of the big poker chip sized markers. Have several just like yours except all mine have the logo of the World Champion Boston Red Sox on them. (Still has an awesome ring to it even after the 4th title this century)

I carry one poker chip size and one smaller one. I carry the second one mostly to loan out or to mark some else ball.

I got a really cool bbn one from my secret Santa that was a metal poker chip size chip with a smaller nickel size magnet chip inside of it. I use this the exact same way. Very handy!!

I have a large USGS Elevation benchmark I got while visiting the Grand Canyon that I use. It's slightly larger than a poker chip. I also used to be self conscious about the larger markers but have come to the viewpoint of, it's meaningful to me so I will use it. If it is distracting to someone else I am more than happy to move the mark for them while they are putting to get it out of their line/view.

I use this. Poker chip size but the center is magnetic and the smaller center comes out.
4701e5a98c9be4beef0d8ed84bcb0ce9.jpg

I use a hatclip marker but wouldn't hesitate to use a bigger marker. I just hate digging in my pockets looking for it.

I use a pretty big ballmarker as well. It's harder for me to lose.

My wife got me this one years ago. I use it every round. I usually also carry a couple quarters in case a playing partner forgets theirs.

6C5503D4-AFAB-42D8-8B4D-4D48A801638F.jpeg

I prefer having them in my pocket and bigger they are the harder it is to lose and easier for people to see on the green so they don't step in my line. I've had the magnetic clip on hat before and it fell off at one point. I didn't go back after that.

Really? I've been using a hat clip style marker for years and I don't think I've ever lost one. I have lost the kind that go with a magnetic ball mark repair tool after it came off in my pocket and, presumably, got dragged out when reached for a tee.

I love my hat clip markers. On the occasion that I'm not wearing the hat clip style, I find myself reaching for it every time I go to mark a ball.

I use a few of the larger custom pieces and then I also carry a small plastic one with a spike in. As I mark if it will be in the way I use the small one, if it won't be in the way the big one come out.

The small plastic markers (with the peg that sticks in the ground) are really the only marker that will not change the roll of a ball. This type marker is easy to find, given away for free by many golf courses.

Thanks again for the discussion. It is a such a small thing but used so often...

The manhole covers I plan to use to clean/place my ball did come from seamus golf, but I threw a few dimes in my bag to carry for now.

I had about 8 of the plastic pegged markers in my bag, and like using them because they were stable and did not change the roll of a ball like DG_ mentioned. BUT the ones I have are about an inch dia. so I will hold out until I find ones a little smaller. I'll go that route to replace the dimes once I find them. (probably online, I don't have the budget to golf travel like I'd like)

I still have a poker chip that our old course superintendent gave me back in the early 90s, and a few challenge coins of the same size. I'll keep them pouched in my bag, but the poker chip holding the smaller magnetic mark was interesting and I'd probably would have gone that route if I'd known before. It addresses my concerns directly.

I use the THP markers. Gonna be using the FoH marker I received in the grab bag. I might also use a Swag Flipper I got in a trade....swageee...eee...eeeeee

Like a few others have mentioned I use a hat clip marker. I like the convenience of it mostly. If I take my hat off I try to remember to move the clip to my belt.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far (so maybe it's just me and my sausage fingers) but with smaller markers I find it hard to pick up the marker once the ball is replaced without inadvertently making the ball move slightly (oscillate). My fingers will tend to brush the ball when picking up the marker. I think a larger marker can be retrieved from behind the ball with less interference. Anyone else have this problem?

Like a few others have mentioned I use a hat clip marker. I like the convenience of it mostly. If I take my hat off I try to remember to move the clip to my belt.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far (so maybe it's just me and my sausage fingers) but with smaller markers I find it hard to pick up the marker once the ball is replaced without inadvertently making the ball move slightly (oscillate). My fingers will tend to brush the ball when picking up the marker. I think a larger marker can be retrieved from behind the ball with less interference. Anyone else have this problem?

Yup, that has been an issue for me and why I probably don't have the small pegged markers. But with the 2019 rule changes I'm okay with that.

Back