My club champion fitting this past week

NTXNoodler

Reaction score
Handicap
Just thought I would drop a post about my experience with club champion, I spent a lot of time in video series asking questions and reveiwing responses I think it was from about 6 or so months ago maybe?

Learned of the 30% off individual fittings so gave a shot to it since it's something I have never done (outside of driver fitting with Danny at shaft up last year).

I worked with Bobby Ennis out of the Plano, TX store. First off this guy was totally chill, very friendly and went pretty methodically through the process. Ended up around 2 hours for the fitting.

Warmed up with 10-15 9 irons (or until I was warm he asked). All the while he was asking about my game, typical miss, what I want to gain with new irons, etc. For me it's pretty simple, I don't have a very fast swing and wanted to gain a little more distance but more importantly more solid contact in the club face and something that will help me drive the ball through the air better. Texas winds can be strong at times and with my current irons shots tended to flutter a lot and it could be a struggle for me.

I currently play Mizuno MP57 irons which are around 10 years old with a TT Dynamic golf S300 shaft. I picked these up a while back off a guy who won them in a raffle but never played them, steal of a deal at $250.

Numbers weren't too bad but my spin was pretty high even on the 6 iron we we're working on averaging over 6k spin and very little distance which made sense from course play.

Testing shafts started off in a Modus 120 which was okay, moved to another shaft (can't remember brand but didn't last long and then he moved me to the Nippon 1150 and the numbers settled down and were consistent. After plenty of shots he was happy with decrease in spin and much better launch angle.

I actually ended up testing 5 different irons, started on the Ping I210, moved to the TM 790, Titleist AP3, Mizuno 919 and then Cobra king forged. All the while I didn't ask what the heads were as I wanted to go straight off feel and look.

Ping faired very well in my opinion, felt very solid, decent numbers but the spin wasn't where he wanted it.

Move to the 790's and man what a difference from my gamers. Spin around 54-5500, higher launch which gave the steeper decent angle, swing speed while not increasing much, ball speed increased around 5 mph. Dispersion was great felt solid and gained me on avg about 10 yards more in distance.

AP3 spin numbers were all over the place and just didn't fit my swing speed and what I was looking for, same with Mizuno which was a shock as I have loves most Mizuno clubs I have touched. And the cobra's just didn't improve on anything the 790's provided.

To my shock I ended up on the Taylormade 790's in a Nippon 1150GH shaft. Trajectory was so much better than my Mizuno irons, gained on average only 2 mph swing speed from the lighter shaft but +6.5 mph ball speed and about 500 less spin while also hitting the ball higher and farther at +12 yards of carry which blew my mind and the consistency was crazy. No lie changes.

I had never gone through the process and it was a great eye opening no pressure experience from the guys at CC in Plano. I attached the only photo I was able to grab...big fail on that one, shows my final numbers on the wall for the 790's with dispersion on my last 8 swings.

Now I just need to find some cash for my new irons!

Anyway just thought I would share my experience, I was scared to death but they made it super easy and provided do much info and answered any of my off the wall questions.

Highly recommend.
742b6f02a55a839ed3a8af91c352f37d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing, I think its great that you went in with an open mind and tried so many different options, whereas most people go get "fit" for just 1 brand and sometimes are doing themselves a disservice.

Thanks for sharing, I think its great that you went in with an open mind and tried so many different options, whereas most people go get "fit" for just 1 brand and sometimes are doing themselves a disservice.
He asked if I had any preferences and it was only 2 which was to try the mizunos as well as the Titleist AP3's but again I did my best not to see what I was hitting until I was finished with that round. Worked great!

I wish the final tally would be a little lower but their guarantee program and process seems to be worth the price difference

He asked if I had any preferences and it was only 2 which was to try the mizunos as well as the Titleist AP3's but again I did my best not to see what I was hitting until I was finished with that round. Worked great!

I wish the final tally would be a little lower but their guarantee program and process seems to be worth the price difference

did they send you a link or anything that shows the data from all 5 iron sets?

did they send you a link or anything that shows the data from all 5 iron sets?
No unfortunately you only get the numbers off your gamer and then the final decision. I tried paying attention as best as I could but there were a lot of numbers flying around. The report just shows the the final dispersion captured vs. your gamers, trajectory differences and the final numbers vs. current.

When I was fit a C.C. in Danville, CA they gave me the printouts and sent me a link too. Interesting C.C. did not offer the printouts and a link.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

When I was fit a C.C. in Danville, CA they gave me the printouts and sent me a link too. Interesting C.C. did not offer the printouts and a link.

I asked and he said the beginning and end is all I would get. If I knew better I would have snapped photos but wasn't really paying attention.

Edit:now I will say he said he was using a different laptop than normal as one of the main ports on the computer he usually had was damaged so maybe that factored in and he could have printed? I don't know, I should have asked more specifically.

I did a driver fitting at the Danville, CA location too. They initially sent the data just for my gamer and the final driver/shaft combo, but when I asked if I could get everything, they emailed it all to me the next day.

I was very satisfied with the fitting at the time, and still feel it was a worthwhile experience, but after getting all the data I did have a couple of issues. I too went in and just let them do their thing, I didn't ask about each shaft as I hit them, as I didn't want to introduce any expectations or bias. Everything seemed fine, their recommendation ended up being for the head that we initially started with, and a shaft that gave the best number, sounds great. But once I was able to pour over all the data at home, I found a couple of things that bothered me. During my interview, I had told them that I tend to have consistency issues with lightweight shafts, 50 series or lighter. The shaft they fit me into was a 50 series shaft, and it did pretty good in the one head, a Callaway Rogue, but was terrible in the others I tried. Looking at the data, every shaft I tried had been a 50 series shaft, and although I got better ball speed/smash factor than with my gamer, which has a 60 series shaft, nothing I hit improved dispersion over my gamer, although a couple of them equaled it.

Looking back I now feel I should have taken a more active role, at least asking why we weren't at least trying some heavier shafts, and why we didn't at least try another shaft or two in the other heads, since I hit them so poorly with the shaft that did the best on the Rogue. Oh well, next time!

I did a driver fitting at the Danville, CA location too. They initially sent the data just for my gamer and the final driver/shaft combo, but when I asked if I could get everything, they emailed it all to me the next day.

I was very satisfied with the fitting at the time, and still feel it was a worthwhile experience, but after getting all the data I did have a couple of issues. I too went in and just let them do their thing, I didn't ask about each shaft as I hit them, as I didn't want to introduce any expectations or bias. Everything seemed fine, their recommendation ended up being for the head that we initially started with, and a shaft that gave the best number, sounds great. But once I was able to pour over all the data at home, I found a couple of things that bothered me. During my interview, I had told them that I tend to have consistency issues with lightweight shafts, 50 series or lighter. The shaft they fit me into was a 50 series shaft, and it did pretty good in the one head, a Callaway Rogue, but was terrible in the others I tried. Looking at the data, every shaft I tried had been a 50 series shaft, and although I got better ball speed/smash factor than with my gamer, which has a 60 series shaft, nothing I hit improved dispersion over my gamer, although a couple of them equaled it.

Looking back I now feel I should have taken a more active role, at least asking why we weren't at least trying some heavier shafts, and why we didn't at least try another shaft or two in the other heads, since I hit them so poorly with the shaft that did the best on the Rogue. Oh well, next time!
They have the happiness guarantee....he said if I am unsatisfied for any reason to bring them back and they will make it right. You talk to your fitter?

Soon I'll be able to compare your experience to a Golftec fitting in Plano. My wife got me a full bag fitting as a Christmas gift.

Sounds like I'm looking for the same as you with irons. A little more distance and consistency. Curious why you didn't try the Ping i500s. Also, which 919 did you try? Tour, Forged, Hot Metals?

Soon I'll be able to compare your experience to a Golftec fitting in Plano. My wife got me a full bag fitting as a Christmas gift.

Sounds like I'm looking for the same as you with irons. A little more distance and consistency. Curious why you didn't try the Ping i500s. Also, which 919 did you try? Tour, Forged, Hot Metals?
Ah very cool!

Really not sure why I didn't try one vs. another. I told him I was wide open with no loyalty with blind taste tests. I felt I hit the 210 pretty well, I just hit the 790's better and the numbers were more consistent.

I tried the 919 forged. Just shocked I didn't hit them better.

Thanks for sharing. Really enjoy reading these. Also nice to see that you tried a few different clubs - that is definitely something that I’d want to do as well.

FWIW, the store in Edina MN did the same thing. They provided printouts and a link to the Trackman report which included data from every tested club. They also gave me a printout from the SAM Putting Lab station.

@NTXNoodler - thanks for sharing your experience. Great report!

FWIW, the store in Edina MN did the same thing. They provided printouts and a link to the Trackman report which included data from every tested club. They also gave me a printout from the SAM Putting Lab station.

@NTXNoodler - thanks for sharing your experience. Great report!
I am going back tomorrow to buy them so maybe he will give me the info. Curious if you were matched with another set up why need those other measurements that didn't work out? Just for reference?

I am going back tomorrow to buy them so maybe he will give me the info. Curious if you were matched with another set up why need those other measurements that didn't work out? Just for reference?

Smart move! I consulted my reports last week after a one-hour iron fitting at another local store with Trackman. We focused on shafts. I ended up with Nippon 1050GHs but used both Trackman reports (spaced by a year) to see if there were any noticeable changes in my swing speed, carry, angle of attack, etc. I don't know what I would have done if there were big changes but it was interesting to review the data.

They have the happiness guarantee....he said if I am unsatisfied for any reason to bring them back and they will make it right. You talk to your fitter?

Couple of things on that, first, and I might be wrong, I believe that "happiness guarantee" is for clubs purchased, not for the fitting itself, and I didn't buy their recommended driver, as there just wasn't enough bang for the buck. Second, the Danville location is 2 1/2 hours away for me, and they are about to open a new location a few miles from my work, so I do intend to pay the new store a visit when it opens and talk to them. Their regional manager was present for my fitting, and we talked quite a bit, hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to him again, he seemed like a really good guy.

Like I said, I still feel it was a worthwhile experience, its just that I am a data geek, and going over all the data from my fitting raised these questions.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question. I had a detached meniscus surgery in November 2017 and didn't swing a club for 5+ months. I went to Club Champion in May 2018. In hindsight, I was still recovering from the knee surgery. The fitter recommended a 70 gram graphite shaft. I like the setup but sometimes swing a bit too hard (whoops!) and this sends the ball into left field. I played a local tournament in September and each participant received a free one-hour fitting. It didn't take long to see the left side miss. The second fitter provided several setups with heavier shafts. I tried Project X LZ 6.0 + XP 95, KBS Tour + Tour V, and Nippon Modus 3 + NS Pro 1050GH. He said any of them could work but definitely thought ~110 grams was a better weight for me. The change moved my dispersion to the right and tightened it up. The knee is finally close to 100%. My swing speed in May '18 and Dec ' 18 are similar but hip and upper body rotation are much better now. Anyway, I decided to reshaft my irons with Nippon 1050GH.

Disclosure: shaft technology is a dark magic to me. I enjoy learning about them but have a long way to go. Hopefully, I haven't misinterpreted either fitter in the comments above.

Awesome!

Great info, thanks for the effort!!

Couple of things on that, first, and I might be wrong, I believe that "happiness guarantee" is for clubs purchased, not for the fitting itself, and I didn't buy their recommended driver, as there just wasn't enough bang for the buck. Second, the Danville location is 2 1/2 hours away for me, and they are about to open a new location a few miles from my work, so I do intend to pay the new store a visit when it opens and talk to them. Their regional manager was present for my fitting, and we talked quite a bit, hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to him again, he seemed like a really good guy.

Like I said, I still feel it was a worthwhile experience, its just that I am a data geek, and going over all the data from my fitting raised these questions.
That's right, if you buy their recommendations and you have any issue can return and they will fix it.

Very cool report! I was last fit in California 2 years ago but I'm going to go for a CC fitting while they are running their winter special. A new location opened up about 5 minutes from my house and they've extended the special until March.

I will say the back end with just getting the clubs ordered has been a pain.

Thought about it for about a day following my fitting and decided to buy, drive 30 min to CC only for a single guy to be there because of short staffing, that's fine whatever. I wanted to take advantage of the financing as it was a little more than expected and it's 0%, why not?

I was told to take advantage is easier to come into store, ended up at the store for around 45 minutes, left some information required and left assured my fitter would take care of it to get everything ordered. He did call once I left said I am heading that way to take care of it and will call in about an hour (around noon) to let me know all was good. Never heard back.

Emailed yesterday afternoon with no response until just now, said he still needs a few more things and will call me sometime late this afternoon to hopefully get everything ordered.

Anyway, moral of the story is if you want to take advantage of any financing make sure there are 2 people in the office with no appointments before you make the long drive down.

Fitting was superb but this after the fact stuff is frustrating considering its my biggest investment in my game in 10+ years. Ready to get rolling.

I had a great experience with CC in KC went there last fall to be fitted for a driver, very helpful and informative. It's amazing how important numbers are for your game, one thing is for sure being fitted is a must if ur serious about ur game and Club Champion is the place to go!

I will say the back end with just getting the clubs ordered has been a pain.

Thought about it for about a day following my fitting and decided to buy, drive 30 min to CC only for a single guy to be there because of short staffing, that's fine whatever. I wanted to take advantage of the financing as it was a little more than expected and it's 0%, why not?

I was told to take advantage is easier to come into store, ended up at the store for around 45 minutes, left some information required and left assured my fitter would take care of it to get everything ordered. He did call once I left said I am heading that way to take care of it and will call in about an hour (around noon) to let me know all was good. Never heard back.

Emailed yesterday afternoon with no response until just now, said he still needs a few more things and will call me sometime late this afternoon to hopefully get everything ordered.

Anyway, moral of the story is if you want to take advantage of any financing make sure there are 2 people in the office with no appointments before you make the long drive down.

Fitting was superb but this after the fact stuff is frustrating considering its my biggest investment in my game in 10+ years. Ready to get rolling.

CC offers financing on the clubs? I want to do a full bag fitting to see what they can tell me about what I need but I know I can't afford everything. If they offer a financing deal of some form, especially at 0%, I'm curious to at least consider buying something depending on my results.

CC offers financing on the clubs? I want to do a full bag fitting to see what they can tell me about what I need but I know I can't afford everything. If they offer a financing deal of some form, especially at 0%, I'm curious to at least consider buying something depending on my results.
It's 6 months only at 0%. It helps.

In the end if 2 guys were at the shop all of my issues would have not happened I imagine but i wasn't a huge fan of the lack of urgency given considering I was getting a bit of a run around because of their own issues.

Back