PING G Irons Preview

Had a chance to hit the G today and have some mixed feelings about it. For some really odd reason I was only able to carry a 7 iron 145. I am not a huge hitter, usually a 7 iron is about 155 to 160 carry. Shortly after this, I hit the S55 carry 160 to 165 every shot with better dispersion. Maybe its shaft and lie angle (S55 was black) but I am now wondering about my next set. Thought it would be the G series. I do really like the look and it felt good, just short.
Since you have mixed feelings about the Ping G irons, give the Cobra King F6 steel flighted shafts a go. You will not have mixed feelings about those irons. 4 types of technology thru the 4-GW, great impact feel and launch angle. They are designed to launch the long irons higher and launch the low irons lower............and it works.

Mine ordered 4-UW awt reg, and a 3 crossover, tour 90 reg...should be here on Thursday, will ordering a sf tec 3-wood tour 65 reg at the weekend....really happy with my G30 driver so will have a comparison soon....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nice! Make sure you give us some feedback on them. Pretty intrigued by this set and liked what I saw while down at the PGA Show.

I'm this close to ordering a set of these after hitting them on the monitor against both of the sets of irons I have again. The question for me is whether I go recoils or Nippon Modus3 105. Dispersion was tightest with those, by a large margin. Not enough swings to really say which one was the absolute best, but my gut tells me the Recoils were just ever so slightly better. But that upcharge is significant...

Mine ordered 4-UW awt reg, and a 3 crossover, tour 90 reg...should be here on Thursday, will ordering a sf tec 3-wood tour 65 reg at the weekend....really happy with my G30 driver so will have a comparison soon....

Next Thursday right? I don't believe these are available until the 15th... or my guy lied to me.

I'm this close to ordering a set of these after hitting them on the monitor against both of the sets of irons I have again. The question for me is whether I go recoils or Nippon Modus3 105. Dispersion was tightest with those, by a large margin. Not enough swings to really say which one was the absolute best, but my gut tells me the Recoils were just ever so slightly better. But that upcharge is significant...
Good feeling club though isn't it? I tried 7 different sets, and these were by far my favorite.

Can't wait to hit these! Pings have always been on my ponder list so this might be the year I drop the $$$ on them.

I have had the opportunity to try out the Gs on several occasions and like what I have been seeing and feeling. After my experiment with the I20s, I was somewhat leery of any more Pings. My experience mirrors the experience of others, to-wit: why oh why is my Ping so much shorter than the rest of my irons. Hype aside, I believe, that with the G, Ping has produced a club head capable of keeping up with others in its class. Once the glaciers retreat, I intend to do some outdoor comparisons of the G vs Apex CF16s vs the Exotic CB Pro Tungsten. Let the melting and testing begin.

Those irons you mention may well all be shorter then the CG Black CB (emblem in middle of cavity). Owned 43 sets of irons and think the Clevelands may well be the longest and with Recoil F3 feel as good as any forged iron I have played. Not on a lot of radar but should be.

I'm really interested in your thoughts about the 3 crossover. Mine should be here on Friday or Saturday.

There are so many great sets of irons out there right now and it's exhausting to try them all and now I have another one look at. What a terrible problem to have!! (Ha)

Yep the 11th Feb is release day...

Hit these over the weekend, pretty impressed to say the least. Hit the 7i on the range off of mats. was seeing really good dispersion and distance that was to be expected. Compared to my current irons was seeing a bit more distance but nothing stellar. Only thing I wasn't a fan of was that you could still see the cavity on the 4i and 5i. Hit them with the stock Graphite shaft reg flex. The part that got me was they were really easy to launch and went high, I struggle with launching my irons so that was a big plus!

Should have these in hand Saturday, full thp review incoming for sure.

Patiently awaiting my order to come in. They better arrive before next week Thursday or i'll be borrowing clubs....

Should have these in hand Saturday, full thp review incoming for sure.
Ready to hear some first hand THP feedback on these. They certainly look better, to my eyes, than prior G series irons.
Patiently awaiting my order to come in. They better arrive before next week Thursday or i'll be borrowing clubs....
They'll get there (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Ready to hear some first hand THP feedback on these. They certainly look better, to my eyes, than prior G series irons.

They'll get there (fingers crossed).

I've heard that a lot. From what I have read these are intended to be much more of a lean towards what we traditionally know the i-Series to be making these more GI than SGI as we know them. The addition of the MAX to the line helps with being able to do that. We shall see though.

I've heard that a lot. From what I have read these are intended to be much more of a lean towards what we traditionally know the i-Series to be making these more GI than SGI as we know them. The addition of the MAX to the line helps with being able to do that. We shall see though.
Based on my initial testing (and purchase) i have to agree with this. I feel like they moved the G series up a notch as i could work these pretty good myself.. So while still a lot of GI, i think they are a nod towards the I, especially with the rollout of the MAX to help on the more forgiving end.

I know a lot of folks have compared them to the i's in terms of looks, but to me there's a lot of optical illusions and really nice visual tweaks that make them look a whole lot nicer. To me, these are pure G series from a performance standpoint. But more of that "progressive" G series we saw in the G25 than something like the G20.

I know a lot of folks have compared them to the i's in terms of looks, but to me there's a lot of optical illusions and really nice visual tweaks that make them look a whole lot nicer. To me, these are pure G series from a performance standpoint. But more of that "progressive" G series we saw in the G25 than something like the G20.

Oh there is DEFINITELY a lot going on in terms of illusions (topline rounded, adjusted the way they do the offset), but they needed that.

Oh there is DEFINITELY a lot going on in terms of illusions (topline rounded, adjusted the way they do the offset), but they needed that.

I spent a bunch of time with the fitting heads today - it's funny how much the little tweaks add up. They didn't have the G iron in red dot, only the G30 - when we switched back to the G30 to make sure the lie angle was what we wanted, I looked down and immediately thought "the G looks so much better". From a size perspective, they're basically the same, but the look down by the ball is pretty different.

My heart tells me I want something like the i's or the 545s in my bag, but I really can't argue with the numbers I'm seeing from these, both in a fitting and when I've gone back and hit with the flightscope a few times. I played the G15s for 2-3 years after I was fit for them, and it's been a bit of a rotation ever since. I'm probably going to order the G w/ the Modus3 shaft in the next couple weeks, just need to figure out what I want the set makeup to be.

Hi all. First post, but I've been getting lots of good information on this forum. I pulled the trigger on a set of Gs today. I have a milestone birthday coming up, and this is the third milestone for which my wife has given me a set of irons as a birthday present. She told me last weekend, in advance of a big winter sale at a good local golf center, so I started to do some research to replace a ten year old stiff-shafted 2x6 set from Tour Edge. If I play ten times in a summer, it's a good year, but I have been playing more of late. I've also been playing in an indoor golf league, and for the few downsides of hitting off a mat for weeks at a time, the simulator feedback has helped me finally move towards putting together a more repeatable swing that is inching closer to in-to-out.

I asked questions at the golf center and did more research. I went there last night after work and tried nine different irons, including the Wilson C200, TM RSi 1 and M2, Cally XR/OS, Mizuno JPX-EZ, the GMax and the Cobra King F6. They would not allow anyone to hit the G until today. It really helped that I had my 7-iron with me as a reference. Hitting white range balls in 20 degree weather on a snow-covered driving range into a light grey, late afternoon sky would not be considered optimal conditions, but the GMax and F6 emerged as my favorites, with the Callaways and Mizunos a little behind them, and then a big dropoff. So off I went to Dick's in search of more information in a warmer environment. There, I eliminated the Callaways and Mizunos. I found the GMax to be more consistent than the F6 in terms of both ball flight and the pattern on the impact tape. With the GMax, about 75% of my hits were center-ish, with the rest near the toe. The GMax was looking like the favorite, but I wanted to do more trials.

Today was still cold, but bright and clear. That made it much easier to track the balls at the golf center, and the guy I was working with offered to bring out a launch monitor when I was telling him about my experiences on a simulator. With the G available, I added it to the mix. It had the heavier feel and reduced offset more like that of the Cobras, but a head design and feel more like the GMax. We tracked about a dozen balls with each club, all hit into a brisk wind, which knocked down the yardages significantly. The launch angles and spin of all three clubs were nearly identical, but the Gs had the lowest spin and about 5% more carry than the GMax, and about 4% more than the Cobra. We both agreed I looked most comfortable with the G, so I placed the order today. I'm quite happy - for now - with my driver and 15.5 and 18 degree Mashies, so I added a Ping G 4 hybrid to my buy to see how well that will bridge the gap between the hybrids and my 5 iron. It was love at first hit - easy to hit and the ball jumps nicely off the clubface in a rather low trajectory - something I almost never see on my good hits. At the other end of my bag, I'm going to wait to see what I need to add to my wedge collection to upgrade my 20 year old 51 and 56 wedges. So here is what I got:

Ping G 4 hybrid (22 degrees), stock shaft, regular flex, +1/2"
5-UW, stock steel shaft, regular flex, +1/2", 3 degrees upright

All with Ping I-D8 midsize gold grips.

The way I use a gap wedge, I think it makes the most sense to have it match the 5-PW.

The Gs jumped out from the other two once I hit them, but I honestly think any of the three could have worked well for me.

Can't wait for them to arrive, and already working on slowing my tempo, which is already helping my ball striking. One thing at a time.

Back