Which average driver results would you choose?

Which average driver results would you choose?

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so, I realize some are going to say, "I wouldn't take any of the because I can blast it way past that already" (I'm looking at you @chefkritter), and I realize some are going to say, "Heck, I'd take ANY of them because I can't hit it anywhere near that now!" (I won't point fingers on this one)... :clown:

So, before we start, let's just assume we'd all be happy with a 260-270 yard driver average. Which results would you rather have? For the purpose of this poll, we're talking about AVERAGES. So, if you choose 260/0, then your drives for the day might be 260/0, 270/0, and 250/0. If you choose 240/29, then your drives for the day might be 220/26, 235/28, 240/29, 245/31, and 260,33. Carry to roll percentages will stay the same, but your drive distance can vary throughout the round.

So, what say you?

Can't see the poll on TT, but for where I live and play, I would opt for the carry with no roll. Get very little to none the majority of the year anyway.

Carry all day. I like to know my carry numbers so I can factor those distances for hazards and wind, etc...

Around here I’ll take the 250/12. On a hole on top of a hill you may get >50yds of rollout and then go down in a valley the next hole and not get any.

Whichever one finds the fairway.

All carry all day long. I can’t count the number of times I have hit into trouble using driver with the roll.

Give me carry, or give me death.

Carry travels and survives wet days. On a course that called Gordon Lakes that includes a "Lake View" and an "Island View" sides, it has a habit of getting wet and staying wet.

I probably should've made the 2nd choice 255/6. The 255/5 offers no advantage over 260/0. Oh, well.

Anyway, for those who are choosing the longer total distances with more roll, can you explain why? Is it simply the search for distance?

I probably should've made the 2nd choice 255/6. The 255/5 offers no advantage over 260/0. Oh, well.

Anyway, for those who are choosing the longer total distances with more roll, can you explain why? Is it simply the search for distance?

If I were still in Arizona I would have said the 250+12, because if that's what the LM said I got at sea level, then when I got back home to 5000' elevation, zero humidity, wind to either be embraced or avoided and firm fairways, I'd get a ton of roll.

I see it 2 ways... I love the idea of 260/0 because carry is king especially when you have to carry trouble. However, the 240/29 means at least one club lower into any green. For me and I'd imagine most people, the lower irons are more likely to hit the green on an approach shot. That means, theoretically, I would be getting more GIR's with the longer total distance.

carry. no idea why someone would choose more roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carry. no idea why someone would choose more roll.

I think for some, especially those who are distance challenged, the bright and shiny thing is the total distance. I'm not long by any means, but I'd gladly give up a few yards if I could rely on all carry.

I just got to thinking about this earlier when reading the article about the counterfeit Ping G400 and it mentioned that the authentic head was better because the counterfeit head had a steeper descent. I thought that was weird because the steeper descent should limit rollout and that should be a good thing as long as you're getting reasonable carry for your swing speed. I dunno, maybe I'm weird.

Carry all day errr day! That’s my jam!

I think for some, especially those who are distance challenged, the bright and shiny thing is the total distance. I'm not long by any means, but I'd gladly give up a few yards if I could rely on all carry.

I just got to thinking about this earlier when reading the article about the counterfeit Ping G400 and it mentioned that the authentic head was better because the counterfeit head had a steeper descent. I thought that was weird because the steeper descent should limit rollout and that should be a good thing as long as you're getting reasonable carry for your swing speed. I dunno, maybe I'm weird.

someone mentioned above that they would rather take the roll because it means they have one less club into the green. except when it rains hard, you don’t. but if you take the carry, you know what club you’re going to hit into the green almost every time.

someone mentioned above that they would rather take the roll because it means they have one less club into the green. except when it rains hard, you don’t. but if you take the carry, you know what club you’re going to hit into the green almost every time.

I'm with you as I believe the majority are. That's why I asked for the thought process for those who chose the options with the most roll. As I said above, I have a feeling it's just chasing after distance, but it's a trade off. Not only do you stand to lose most (if not all) of that roll when the rains come down, but you have to worry about it rolling off into trouble (rough, bunker, hazard, etc.), but if you know your distance, with today's tech you should be able to make a reasonable choice of a line to take (almost all of) the trouble out of play.

Carry. That will keep me out of more hazards and leave less chance it gets a bad roll.

Can't see the poll on TT, but for where I live and play, I would opt for the carry with no roll. Get very little to none the majority of the year anyway.
Use Web View and you can see the poll.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Use Web View and you can see the poll.

I got it and voted later when I opened the thread on my Chromebook.

Around here I’ll take the 250/12. On a hole on top of a hill you may get >50yds of rollout and then go down in a valley the next hole and not get any.
I was gonna say this earlier, but got side tracked. The good thing about the high ball flight that lands steep is that even though you give up some roll, I feel like it's an advantage playing uphill because your distance should be mostly carry anyway and then downhill you'll get a little roll that you're not playing for. It might not be as much as some other folks, but as you can see most are fine with little roll anyway.

If I were still in Arizona I would have said the 250+12, because if that's what the LM said I got at sea level, then when I got back home to 5000' elevation, zero humidity, wind to either be embraced or avoided and firm fairways, I'd get a ton of roll.
Who said anything about a launch monitor? I was talking about actual playing distances on your typical course.

I chose 245/20 because it's the most realistic and consistent. Would likely be launch around 14 and spin around 2500. 0 carry avg means ultra high spin, and is 245 rolling into a hazard any different than carrying 260 into a hazard?

Whatever optimizes carry is what I'd choose because I don't get roll (unless negative roll is an option).

Back