Hybrids vs Long irons ??

Stl27

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys, I recently started playing golf I hit my 6-pw pretty consistently and fairly online, the problem starts when I get to the 5i through the 3i I realize it becomes harder to play the longer clubs as the length increases I understand that practice is needed to develop these skills. I have been learning to play on an old borrowed set of clubs I am looking to get a set of my own and have done alot of reading about the newer clubs and how the newer GI clubs are designed to be more user friendly the question is am I better of with a couple of hybrids in my set or just irons in the long run ??

If it were me, I'd go hybrids. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I've done.

I prefer hybrids vs long irons, for me, they are just easier to hit. I dont remember the last time I played anything more than a 5i.

Man I go back and forth on this almost monthly. I like the thought of a hybrid, but continuously keep going back to my long irons. Just like the ball flight better.

I went back to long irons in my last two sets because they were easier to hit than previous sets. But when the swing is off they aren't friendly and as a result I went back to a hybrid. The size, forgiveness and in some models the ability to flight them has me favoring hybrids

I absolutely love my 5 iron but I'm very happy I stopped there and went to a 4 hybrid

I prefer hybrids vs long irons, for me, they are just easier to hit. I dont remember the last time I played anything more than a 5i.

SpeedBlades were it for me and I loved that 4 iron

I've actually gone hybrid for my 5 iron now. Way too easy for distance and launch its an easy switch once you can find some that fit the distance gaps you need.

Hybrids for sure. I think the future for a lot of golfers will be blended sets though. I know my next set is going to be 7-whatever more of a players iron, 5 and 6 GI and 4 and 3 hybrid.

I have taken out my 3, 4 and 5 irons out of my bag ad replaced them with hybrids. I like the forgiveness and trajectory. The PROS use hybrids. That should tell us all something.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have taken my 3, 4 and 5 irons out of my bag and replaced them with hybrids. I like the forgiveness and trajectory. The PROS use hybrids. That should tell us all something.

I have gone hybrids after 6I and don't plan on going back.

The only players that I see benefiting from long irons over hybrids are the ones that have high swing speeds and hitting hybrids would have them going too high and possibly fighting hooks.

Hybrids seem the way to go at times,but there are some forgiving long irons out there as well. I am added a utility iron replacement for my 3 iron distances which is a huge confidence builder.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hybrids for sure over long irons.

If it were me, I'd go hybrids. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I've done.

I would recommend trying out some options first. I'm pretty new to the game and researched pretty heavily before buying my first set of clubs. Almost everything I read sung the praises of hybrids, especially for beginners. They say they're much more forgiving, and easier to get the ball in the air with.

For those reasons I bought an iron set with a 5 as the longest club thinking I'd fill in the top end with hybrids. It was a great plan until I realized I can't hit a hybrid to save my life. Practice, lessons, and stubbornness have not changed this. I just can't hit a hybrid (or a fairway wood). So now I'm stuck with a 5 iron as my longest club other than driver.

I could never hit anything longer than a 7 iron until bagging the new Callaway Apex CF16's and now have the 4 iron is just as consistent as the 9 iron. I can't hit hybrids but do have fair success with a 3 wood but the 4 iron goes almost as far and more accurate.

Hybrids from 5 iron distance and up is a good idea! I still game a 4 and 5 iron, but I've thought about dropping the 4 iron just based on consistency and confidence I have in hybrids. For me though, I have to have my 5 iron, it's always been one of my better long irons and I don't miss it off the sweet spot very often.

At the end of the day, everyone will be different. Try out a bunch of different sets with irons and hybrids and see what is best for your game. I went into the grandaddy thinking I would end up stopping at the 6iron... for whatever reason I hit the cf16 long irons better than hybrids

I play a 3 and 4 hybrid instead of a 3i and 4i. 95% of the time I am glad I have hybrids in the bag instead of the long irons, but there are times when I wish I stuck with them. That 5% of the time includes lies and rough that an iron could get through easier than a hybrid but overall hybrids are a lot easier to game. I may bring back my 4 iron now that my iron striking is much better these past couple of years but it's hard to give up the forgiveness of a hybrid.

I play a 3&4 hybrid. Just don't have the swing speed anymore to elevate long irons and get the distance I can with the hybrids.

I have Cleveland 588 Altitude Irons which are SUPER Game Improvement and even with them I was inconsistent with the 3 through 5 irons so I replaced them with Hybrids and are so much more consistent using Hybrids. I tried a 2 Hybrid at 18* loft but found I was more consistent using a 7 Wood at 20.5*, so for me it seems the more loft for the same distance makes me more consistent.

Hybrids are your friend. I play a 4-6 hybrid and 7-PW in irons.

Back