WITB: Hideki Matsuyama, Waste Management Phoenix Open (2/7/16)

moosejaa

Mr. Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
Driver: Srixon ZR-30 (9.5 degrees)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8TX
3 Wood: TaylorMade Rocketballz Stage 2 (15 degrees)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 9TX
Hybrid: Honma TW727(19 degrees)
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Irons: Srixon Z945(4-PW)
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (52, 56-12, 60-10)
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 GSS
Golf ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Interesting bag with a good mix.

So many of these guys always seem to have at least one older model club in their bag.
And a lot of times it seems to be the fw spot. Wonder what that says about the advancements in the fw category vs others.

I was pretty stoke he held out to win. Cool to see what he's playing with. thanks!

He has the same set up as me....well, his is a bit better. Nice grouping of clubs.

I like his mixture bag set up , Drool 945's!!!!.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Pretty standard bag. I always like seeing the different 3ws these guys carry. Things that have not faired well on the forums but seem to work just fine for the tour stars.

Nice looking bag set up even with the Rocketballz Stage 2 - 3w.

Is that an older driver or new?

he has an 80 gram shaft in his driver, and a 90 gram shaft in his 3 wood? beast mode.

The 945's are just sexy!!!!!

Did I see something where outside of Day and Spieth he has the most top 5s or top 10's (cant remember which one it was) in the last year?

They're not for everybody, but that RBZ2 3 wood has easily withstood many a challenger for my 3 wood spot. Interesting to see him using one, especially with a 90g shaft? Gah!

Did I see something where outside of Day and Spieth he has the most top 5s or top 10's (cant remember which one it was) in the last year?

"He didn’t win last season, but still finished 16th in the FedExCup because of his incredibly consistent play. Only five players had more top-10s than Matsuyama (nine) last season. Only Jordan Spieth (13) and Jason Day (nine) have more top-five finishes (eight) since the start of the 2014-15 season." -pgatour.com-

I like the mix of his bag with the older driver and FW.
Always interesting to see how old clubs are that are still in pros bags, they have access to pretty much anything they want, but stick with what works, regardless of it being too old!

Honma. That's interesting to me.

Always interesting to see how old clubs are that are still in pros bags, they have access to pretty much anything they want, but stick with what works, regardless of it being too old!

They usually don't change unless there is something better. Iirc Day played the Bruner superfast for at least a year after new releases were out.

Honma. That's interesting to me.

To be honest, I had no idea what that brand even was.
I have been eying the 727 hybrid and irons since the pga show. Previous releases haven't caught my eye but the 727 has and the irons can be had for under $1k on tourspec for 5-p with upgraded shaft

I think it's interesting that he's playing an X100 in his hybrid. The win actually prompted a video from True Temper. In it they recommend at least trying a hybrid that is cut shorter and with a steel shaft of the same make/model as your irons. The argument being that people pick hybrids to find something easier to hit than the iron it's replacing. Yet, they often end up with a hybrid that is significantly longer than the iron it's replacing and with a lightweight shaft.

Back