Favorite Course Designers

What course have you played that Jack lets you get away missing driver haha. Ive only played a few of his courses though, and none are very accepting if you can't get off the tee decently (accuracy wise not distance)
Mansion Ridge in NY isn't exactly wide open but it's not penal with driver either.

But... that's not to say that as to layout, he doesn't take driver out of your hands. My buddies who automatically grab driver on every hole hate Mansion Ridge but when you pick and choose by following Jack's cues, it's really a fine golf course.

For me it is Pete Dye. Once you figure out his design philosophy you understand a lot better how to play his courses.

I've enjoyed Palmer, Nicklaus, Fazio and Dye courses but my favorite has to be Mike Strantz.

For the obvious, meaning the courses where I knew he had designed it, True Blue and Caledonia are two of my very favorite course to play. Designs that will never get old to me.

Then there are courses where I didn't even know that he was involved. I'd owned a condo at Legends in Myrtle Beach for 12 years and played all of their courses many, many times. While Heathland is my sentimental favorite (vast majority of time spent on a course with my son when he was young was on Heathland), Parkland was always far and away my favorite test of golf. From the tips, that course is a BEAR.

I was years into ownership before I'd learned that he was involved in the design/build of Parkland shortly after it had already begun. Apparently the bunkering was all Strantz. Also learned recently that he was responsible for the greens complexes at The Heritage Club. Always loved that place too, so there's another coincidental preference for me.

Parkland and Heritage, like all Legends courses, too often used to leave lots to be desired as to average or even sub par conditions. But when those tracks are properly prepped, they're sensational.

In Mass I would have to say Geoffrey St John Cornish. He designed and built courses on how the land laid. Another man would be John Sanford who probably is unknown to most. He designed Granite Links here in Mass. There are videos of the course and the build. They took like 20 million tons of fill from the Big Dig and made one of the best courses I have seen.

I've enjoyed Palmer, Nicklaus, Fazio and Dye courses but my favorite has to be Mike Strantz.

For the obvious, meaning the courses where I knew he had designed it, True Blue and Caledonia are two of my very favorite course to play. Designs that will never get old to me.

Then there are courses where I didn't even know that he was involved. I'd owned a condo at Legends in Myrtle Beach for 12 years and played all of their courses many, many times. While Heathland is my sentimental favorite (vast majority of time spent on a course with my son when he was young was on Heathland), Parkland was always far and away my favorite test of golf. From the tips, that course is a BEAR.

I was years into ownership before I'd learned that he was involved in the design/build of Parkland shortly after it had already begun. Apparently the bunkering was all Strantz. Also learned recently that he was responsible for the greens complexes at The Heritage Club. Always loved that place too, so there's another coincidental preference for me.

Parkland and Heritage, like all Legends courses, too often used to leave lots to be desired as to average or even sub par conditions. But when those tracks are properly prepped, they're sensational.

Also for those coming to charleston for unofficial weekend gathering, while the courses say Fazio at wild dunes, he designed much of the courses initially while working under Fazio.

His designs are so good. Especially the bunkering and greens he put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the variety among Larry Packard's courses at Innisbrook.

Coore and Crenshaw are up there for me. I've only played one of their courses -- The Warren Course at Notre Dame (set to host the 2019 Senior Open) -- but I always find myself putting a lot of their courses at the top of my want-to-play list when I'm looking through things like top 100 rankings.

I like Doak, Palmer, Nicklaus courses.

Some local courses by Jerry Matthews as well.

Big fan of Tillinghast. I used to belong to one of his courses and I've played Baltusrol and would play there every day if I could.

Charles "Steamshovel" Banks - Forsgate and Knoll West (NJ)

I've turned into a Golden Age junkie lately so in addition to Banks, I'll take Raynor, Macdonald, Mackenzie, Flynn, Colt..give me all of them!

Donald Ross courses seem to be everywhere around here. Also, I always liked playing John Daly's Wicked Stick in Myrtle Beach. It was fun and kind of a links style course. Arnold Palmer's Kings North is great, too!

Had no idea - that is awesome

You can play all 4 (two 18's, two 9's) with a cart for around $120 total. Pretty crazy. One of them Seneca used to host a Senior Tour event.

Tillinghast designs fascinate me. I've walked Baltusrol and Bethpage Black is on my bucket list.

I like Walter Travis courses - Cape Arundel GC in Kennebunkport, ME; Equinox GC in Manchester, VT, and the Country Club of Troy (NY) are deceptively diabolical and make you think like crazy. Travis was also an a accomplished amateur golfer and made the center-shafted Schenectady putter famous. After a great round on the greens, Ben Crenshaw once said, "Man, I putted like Walter J Travis today."

Last edited:
Stranz and Dye. You know you're going to get 18 memorable holes when you stand on the first tee. Jim Engh is pretty memorable as well (not sure if anyone's ever played Fossil Trace, but it's pretty neat out there) and I've never played a disappointing Coore/Crenshaw.

Don't think I've ever played a Seth Raynor (they're usually private and exclusive), but the overhead views of his courses are just spectacular. Would LOVE to check out one of those.

Someone above mentioned Keith Foster...don't think he'll be designing any courses for a while: https://golfweek.com/2018/12/20/golf-architect-facing-5-years-in-prison-for-smuggling-endangered-wildlife-goods/

Stranz and Dye. You know you're going to get 18 memorable holes when you stand on the first tee. Jim Engh is pretty memorable as well (not sure if anyone's ever played Fossil Trace, but it's pretty neat out there) and I've never played a disappointing Coore/Crenshaw.

Don't think I've ever played a Seth Raynor (they're usually private and exclusive), but the overhead views of his courses are just spectacular. Would LOVE to check out one of those.

Someone above mentioned Keith Foster...don't think he'll be designing any courses for a while: https://golfweek.com/2018/12/20/golf-architect-facing-5-years-in-prison-for-smuggling-endangered-wildlife-goods/

Yeah - foster did our renovation a few years back, did a hell of a job. What was he thinking??

I've only played one of his courses -- The Wilderness Club in Eureka, MT -- but it is a top notch layout.

Played there 3 years ago and loved it. Hoping to go back this summer.

I've been a Pete Dye fan for probably way too many years.

It sounds like we're 3 for 3! I celebrated a birthday at Wildfire and we played both courses. The Faldo course was more interesting/enjoyable compared to the Palmer option. https://www.marriott.com/golf-hotels/phxdr-jw-marriott-phoenix-desert-ridge-resort-and-spa/wildfire-golf-club/5233109/golf-course-information.mi

What made it so fun was that we had me (off 9), best friend (scratch), his dad (off 19) and we all had a great time, no-one felt like it was too easy, unfair or anything like that, just a great test of tactical golf with some holes where you can say bombs away and really open up your shoulders.
Great fun

Donald Ross has always been a long time favorite. His green complex’s and course layout require imagination.
Johnny Miller has solid course designs as does Cupp/Crenshaw. These two create some big ball parks that you can really let loose on.
Dye courses are always a joy. Every hole presents challenges and seem to really test the long game.

Palmer, Coore and Crenshaw, and Arthur Hills locally.
Lot of Arthur Hills designs around here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lot of Arthur Hills designs around here.

Funny thing is I met one of his old time design associates while working at DSG and we talked about his story for what seemed like hours. It was incredibly fascinating. He's got most of his designs locally, but has also done some stuff in Florida and elsewhere.

Funny thing is I met one of his old time design associates while working at DSG and we talked about his story for what seemed like hours. It was incredibly fascinating. He's got most of his designs locally, but has also done some stuff in Florida and elsewhere.
It is really intrguing. My grandfather enjoys his courses as well, being that he can play them up here during the summer and he is less than 20 miles from Stoneybrooke in Sarasota during the winter.

Palmer - lots of fade holes. Nicklaus - same reason, plus a few drivable par-4's.

I’m limited in my knowledge, but based on the courses I’ve played my favorite design is Rees Jones’ Flamboyan Course at Palmas del Mar. Flows with the land nicely, has variety and options, and holes just seem to set up really nicely in my eyes. Last time I played it made sure to really appreciate each hole.

Second favorite design is Robert Trent Jones Jr Bahia at st regis. Overly penal from the tee but otherwise spectacular and beautiful. Good variety and a great finishing stretch.

For a fun challenge, I’d say Arthur Hills’ Conquistador course with tons of elevated tees and rolling fairways having a huge effect on most holes. Not one I’d want to play every day though.

The most spectacular property was designed a former Pete Dye associate, but it was really hard to mess that one up due to the incredible terrain features. That’s Royal Isabela...only played it twice due to $$ and maintenance isn’t where it should be. There’s so much going on in the land, then they put in a gimmicky island par 3 in the middle of a links course. I would rank it lower on design personally.

Supposed best in the Caribbean is a pete dye course in DR but have never played there.

Playing at Pinehurst and in NC in general, I feel like I'm obligated to say Donald Ross. But besides him, Hanse, Fazio, and Dye would be my votes. Have enjoyed the courses of theirs that I have played.

Back