Favorite Course Designers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Had these threads in the past and they are always fun to learn about what people like and don't. What are some of your favorite designers and why?

I can't say I've played many of the big names, but I have a soft spot of Stanley Thompson designs. His courses are old and generally prove that courses don't have to be 7000+ yards to be great.

Donald Ross - play a lot of his courses in MA/Carolinas enjoy the layout

Nicklaus (don’t @@@ me) how he sets up the holes with options for my game - I generally score well

Palmer similar to the above

Dye - i like a kick in the nuts once in a while

Donald Ross - play a lot of his courses in MA/Carolinas enjoy the layout

Nicklaus (don’t @@@ me) how he sets up the holes with options for my game - I generally score well

Palmer similar to the above

Dye - i like a kick in the nuts once in a while

First two are my favorites as well. I love Ross designs, and Nicklaus usually lets you miss with the driver and make it up on approach which is music to my ears.

But Ross courses are my favorite. We’re lucky to have two of my favorite layouts here to play for cheap money.

Arnold Palmer designs are usually a lot of fun.
Nicklaus designs are always stunning and a good challenge as well.
The team of Coore & Crenshaw have really put some awesome courses out there- loved every one of them I've played.
David Kidd's courses at Bandon and Sand Valley are awesome as well!
Pete Dye- challenging tracks but usually a blast to play!

A.W. Tillinghast is probably my overall favorite. I feel like his designs have really stood the test of time. For as burly as some of them are considered now (Bethpage Black, Baltusrol, Winged Foot) I can only imagine they were considered monstrosities at the time.

Also Robert Trent Jones Sr., because he was incredibly prolific and his courses run a great gamut of value, as well as numerous courses on military installations. Knowing I can play Gordon Lakes at Fort Gordon, or Fort Belvoir GC, or Fort Benning GC for less than $50 and enjoy a course that came from the same mind that made Hazeltine, Firestone, or Spyglass Hill -- to say nothing about the absurd number of remodels he did over his career -- is something I try not to take for granted.

I enjoy Dye courses. THey make you think and i typically play decent on them. I can't just hit ball go get it hit again haha.

Mike strantz is my all time favorite though... The creativeness and just so many options. Plus visually his courses are usually spectacular.

Never have played coore/crenshaw though and would like to. I also really enjoy seth raynor courses for the old time feel.

Sam snead has one back home that i just cant get enough of when i play it. Really good layout wiht challenges everywhere but also playable to most.

First two are my favorites as well. I love Ross designs, and Nicklaus usually lets you miss with the driver and make it up on approach which is music to my ears.

But Ross courses are my favorite. We’re lucky to have two of my favorite layouts here to play for cheap money.

What course have you played that Jack lets you get away missing driver haha. Ive only played a few of his courses though, and none are very accepting if you can't get off the tee decently (accuracy wise not distance)

I wish you could have made it CT when we played Gillette Ridge with @scarnici and @ddec such a fun layout - I think you'd like it

I wish you could have made it CT when we played Gillette Ridge with @scarnici and @ddec such a fun layout - I think you'd like it

I'd go there again with no hesitation

What course have you played that Jack lets you get away missing driver haha. Ive only played a few of his courses though, and none are very accepting if you can't get off the tee decently (accuracy wise not distance)

I think more of what I’m getting at is you usually don’t have to hit a spot with your drive to have a chance at the hole - risk-reward plays a factor. You can go the “easy” way, miss a bit and you’re looking at a harder approach where maybe birdie is a tough ask but you can stay in the hole or match. I like his approach.

Pete Dye is one of my favorites. The risk/reward factor he provides on every hole is unparalleled. When playing his courses it allows you to really think about your next shot versus just trying to pound it down the fairway. Love his designs.

Gil Hanse and Coore & Crenshaw designs are also on my list. Always fun tracks with interesting layouts.

I think more of what I’m getting at is you usually don’t have to hit a spot with your drive to have a chance at the hole - risk-reward plays a factor. You can go the “easy” way, miss a bit and you’re looking at a harder approach where maybe birdie is a tough ask but you can stay in the hole or match. I like his approach.

I gotcha.

Sorry didn’t mean to have my reply to you come off as condescending if it did. I reread it and saw that it definitely could have been taken as Such haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love golden age courses: Ross, Colt, and Alison. I haven’t had the opportunity to play a David McLay Kidd design yet but I think I’d truly enjoy his layouts.

The Conservatory at Hammock Beach was my first Tom Watson design that I’ve played, I have to say that I REALLY enjoyed it.

I think Dye is fine, if a bit overrated.

Another vote for Pete Dye! I've played ~10 of his course designs and enjoyed all of them.

Not sure how many Nick Faldo courses are around, but I really like his work in Scottsdale.

I've played 5 of his courses one it's been forever and I was terrible so I can't speak to that one.

Hammock Ocean Course

PGA National Champion Course

Ocean Edge Resort

Pinehills

All of these courses I felt weren't that penal on the holes where driver was required - based on the tees and my landing area due to my distance - on poor tee shots I still had a shot at making par on fantastic aggressive driver shots birdie was in play more often than not.

I've played 5 of his courses one it's been forever and I was terrible so I can't speak to that one.

Hammock Ocean Course

PGA National Champion Course

Ocean Edge Resort

Pinehills

All of these courses I felt weren't that penal on the holes where driver was required - based on the tees and my landing area due to my distance - on poor tee shots I still had a shot at making par on fantastic aggressive driver shots birdie was in play more often than not.

See I don’t know. I felt at the Ocean course that when I miss hit my driver it was always kind of a prayer to even have a chance of getting a par. Bogey was more in play more often than not when I didn’t hit the driver well.

Although I also didn’t shoot a 77 like you did :)

Coore & Crenshaw - Have loved their designs that Ive played, Streamsong Red, Bandon Trails, Kapalua Plantation. Generally very playable off the tee, and fun. They really use the land well so that it doesnt feel artificial in any way.

Tom Doak - Love the way his courses look visually, especially with the blow-out bunkers. Pacific Dunes and Streamsong Blue are both really fun tracks.

We have 4 public muni's in Louisville designed by AW Tillinghast. While they are not maintained like a private club, the layout on all 4 courses is really interesting. They all have long and short par 3's and 4's, interesting dogleg's, tree placement, and green complexes. They also all have a par 5 that is just super long and one that is reachable. Really cool courses that I always enjoy playing and will challenge you no matter your handicap.

I gotcha.

Sorry didn’t mean to have my reply to you come off as condescending if it did. I reread it and saw that it definitely could have been taken as Such haha.

Nope, clarification questions are all good by me.

We have 4 public muni's in Louisville designed by AW Tillinghast. While they are not maintained like a private club, the layout on all 4 courses is really interesting. They all have long and short par 3's and 4's, interesting dogleg's, tree placement, and green complexes. They also all have a par 5 that is just super long and one that is reachable. Really cool courses that I always enjoy playing and will challenge you no matter your handicap.

Had no idea - that is awesome

Palmer, Coore and Crenshaw, and Arthur Hills locally.

Palmer, Coore and Crenshaw, and Arthur Hills locally.

Arthur Hills is a good one as well

Of those whose courses I've actually played I'd put Coore & Crenshaw, Langford & Moreau, Mike Devries and Pete Dye at the top of my list.

This year I'll be playing my first McKlay-Kidd course, and I imagine he'll be added to the list.

I'd love the opportunity to play a Ross, Raynor or Mackenzie.

I'm in the very initial stages of planning a trip to Scotland in a couple of years, so I'll be able to see the work of several historical greats on that trip (with any luck).

Back