Nike Vapor Fly Driver & Vapor Fly Pro Preview

Ok, I played this for three rounds last week, in beautiful 75 degree weather, one day was windy the other two just perfect. So other than being my first full round of the year and no range time before any of them, it was pretty ideal circumstances for it's maiden voyage.

I don't know what I can say about this driver that will do it justice. I know there are plenty of good options out there for 2016 and I certainly haven't tried them all, but hit a few in January at the PGA. I think the thing that sums this up best is that someone I believe PMM21 is selling his after only 14 shots, because it's TOO STRAIGHT!!

That's exactly what I found with it during my three rounds. If I recalled my rounds correctly, I hit 29/40 fairways with it during the week. And right off the bat, I can recall two of thsoe were just horrible swings, one produced a snap hook and the other a slice, that wasn't as bad as the swing was..LOL

I honestly can't claim it's the longest driver I've hit. But I certainly can't recall anyone that was straighter than this one for me. And to clarify when I say straight, I mean a very small fade. On a couple occassions, when I made a very good swing, it went dead straight, to a very slight draw. As a measureing point, I'd say most of my drives were in the 210 to 215 ish range which is about normal for me now. As a point of comparison, I was playing with MSeamann777 on the final day, and he was generally 30 yards or so ahead of me all day, and said most of his drives were in the 240 ish range, so that's about right. However, one of those good swings I referenced above, I was actually about 5 yards at most behind him, and it was a result of a good drive by me, not a bad one by him.

It's just an very easy club to swing, I got the 11.5 head with the Diamana M+ Red Board in R flex. I love the look of the Blue and the Nike Swoosh, and had several comments on it. The sound is fine, not muted, not obnoxiously loud, just a good solid "crack" type sound. At first I was having a bit of a challenge getting high enough ball flight (but that is more my 92 to 93 ish Swing Speed than anything) but once I made a couple setup adjustments and the swing felt better, I was getting good height on it.

At some point, I'll get it on a LM and get some numbers, but I can easily see 3 or 4 drivers that are sitting around collecting dust, going in the Market Place very soon.

This one's a keeper for sure. I won't be selling it becasue it's TOO STRAIGHT...and that's no knock against PMM, I'm just not a shot shaper, I'll take straight all day, and If I could find another 20 yards, I wouldn't turn that away either :D

Last edited:
"Too straight" is a problem I'd really like to have hahaha! Sounds like this one is working out great for you. If I didn't already have a Vapor Pro, I'd be all over the Vapor Fly Pro, but they're just too similar to justify the upgrade for me. Not a bad thing mind you, as I love the Vapor Pro!

"Too straight" is a problem I'd really like to have hahaha! Sounds like this one is working out great for you. If I didn't already have a Vapor Pro, I'd be all over the Vapor Fly Pro, but they're just too similar to justify the upgrade for me. Not a bad thing mind you, as I love the Vapor Pro!
It is working great so far. We got the Srixon 355 drivers in the shop yesterday and I looked at it for a while, then wondered what the heck am I doing, and put it back in the bag...LOL

I'm still bagging the original Covert tour w/Grandura 550 shaft, and am seriously pondering a vapor pro as a replacement head. Then they come out with this. If the adapter is the same, maybe I should just go with the vapor fly pro.

Will be interested to hit these at club clash. Massive fan of last year's speed and pro, but even as a lover of blue drivers these turned me off. Still though, excited to see the numbers.

Will be interested to hit these at club clash. Massive fan of last year's speed and pro, but even as a lover of blue drivers these turned me off. Still though, excited to see the numbers.
I can't speak to last year's model. But this year's Fly has been better for me than any driver I've tried in the last year. And I tried a few. Lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Another solid round with this yesterday . 11 fairways hit. As mentioned above its not the longest driver I've hit.

But it's very easy to find your ball when it's in the fairway ?

Perhaps what I like most, is you don't have to work really hard to get good results.

If a driver could ever be considered point and shoot, this would be one.

I tried the Vapor fly pro yesterday, and it was great. It did produce very straight flight for me as well. If it hadn't been for the fact that I really just wanted the head, I would have had no problem walking out with it. I bought a slightly used Vapor pro from last year since I really could not separate the two performance wise, and it was less than half the price. I also realized that, as much as I didn't like the looks of last years, I do now like it better than the fly pro. If anyone is looking at new drivers, do yourself a huge favor and try this one out. Imo, it is the best driver Nike has ever put out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I should add that I didn't spend a lot of time making the comparison, small sample size, and if did,I suspect the fly would win, but not by much.

I fully expect a lot of great comments about this one to come out of that event.

I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more interest or talk about it. I know it's a company/driver that doesn't get a lot of exposure on THP (and that could be Nike's doing as much as anything) but I think once you guys have it in hand and hit it, many are going to love the results.

Can't wait to spent some time with this driver. Kinda sticks out a bit in the bag but I'm sure a quick change of the headcover could help that problem. I'll try and get some flightscope numbers later this week.

7dee2d3abe1af7c2aa7658116149cb2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to spent some time with this driver. Kinda sticks out a bit in the bag but I'm sure a quick change of the headcover could help that problem. I'll try and get some flightscope numbers later this week.

7dee2d3abe1af7c2aa7658116149cb2f.jpg

Looking forward to your findings.

I see nothing that needs fixing. But that's just me :D

I think you're going to like this one. Anxious to hear some of your feedback.

I see nothing that needs fixing. But that's just me :D

I think you're going to like this one. Anxious to hear some of your feedback.
I like that head cover also. It looks much better than the Covert headcover I have right now. IMO

Dropping bombs with the Nike Vapor Fly Pro!

Took this one to the range yesterday and spent some time on FlightScope with it vs my gamer.

Really low spin numbers hovering around 1900 on good strikes. Sounds fine if I loft up a bit, the problem I was having was carry distance on miss hits were going virtually nowhere. This is the Pro version. Now nowhere is a generic term that does not mean very much, but the carry distance loss was pretty big for me.

Going to bring it back out today, as the sound is very odd and unique, and I want to hit it again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the numbers JB. I found mine (non pro) slightly lower launching than I desired when set on 10.5. I moved it up to 11.5 and get a higher flight.

I should try and get on a LM to get some numbers on mine.

Thanks for the numbers JB. I found mine (non pro) slightly lower launching than I desired when set on 10.5. I moved it up to 11.5 and get a higher flight.

I should try and get on a LM to get some numbers on mine.

Id be really curious about your launch, spin and peak height.

Id be really curious about your launch, spin and peak height.
It may be a few days or even next week, but I'll get to our sister course that has a fitting studio and get on it's LM and get some numbers. I'm curious as well as to what they say versus what I see (or think I'm seeing).

Got some initial swings in this morning on the range and a few shots on course. I'll try and get some flightscope numbers of course opens up a bit

e7a90b525f037a314b13d5d14d2958da.jpg

Got some initial swings in this morning on the range and a few shots on course. I'll try and get some flightscope numbers of course opens up a bit

That looks pretty "sweet"

Looking forward to your thoughts Alex. My thoughts on this head are much like BamBooBender: it's probably slightly better than last year's, but if you already have last year's it's probably not worth the upgrade cost.

That being said, last year's head is a rocket launcher for me so this is still a very good head.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's the spot where I get the best from my VP also, a little above center.

ce02eb97a591f1f521634913a347d68f.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts Alex. My thoughts on this head are much like BamBooBender: it's probably slightly better than last year's, but if you already have last year's it's probably not worth the upgrade cost.

That being said, last year's head is a rocket launcher for me so this is still a very good head.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've never been a fan of Nike drivers because to me they've all felt horrible but this VFP is different. I was able to feel the ball at impact and know exactly where the ball was going. Hit about 15 shots on the range and used the Driver last 9 holes of the day. It appears that the diamana S+ 60 stiff is a bit too soft for me. Initial testing on the range was stock 10.5 setting in neutral position. A lot of high spinning out right. Dialed it down to 8.5* and that worked better for me. No draws but only straight or fade drives. Playing the desert the numbers get higher due to the less humidity and carry tends to be farther so I wasn't too worried about actually carry distance.

Back