Drone Videos and Rules of Golf

cnosil

Reaction score
Was watching the drone videos; which by the way are great, and have a rules questions associated with THP events. I am assuming that we are supposed to be following the rules of golf during the events. Since the matches are over, this question won't change the results in any way but I am going to phone in what I think is a rules infraction.

In the Quick putt video at the 2:00 mark it appears that the player touches the green to indicate the line of the putt and then while putting his partner point out the line that the player should be putting on. According to the rules this is illegal:

Rule 8-2b;
When the player's ball is on the putting green, the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke, point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting.

Not trying to start an issue since I know this is friendly competition, but if things like OB and hazard rules are followed, shouldn't all rules be followed?

The rules of golf are followed during all rounds at THP events. However, just as in live Golf, it must be called when seen. If those playing the match did not call the violation, then no penalties could be given.

The rules of golf are followed during all rounds at THP events. However, just as in live Golf, it must be called when seen. If those playing the match did not call the violation did not call it, then no penalties could be given.

This is true.
And we have someone there to make all calls when disputes are in place. As was done this past week.

Thanks, was just trying to gauge how "serious" people are about the rules in these events. I understand that if it isn't called at that point of time it didn't happen.

The rules of golf are followed during all rounds at THP events. However, just as in live Golf, it must be called when seen. If those playing the match did not call the violation did not call it, then no penalties could be given.
It wasn't very clear if the green was touched, but looks like the line was indicated through the stroke. Like you said, wasn't called on the spot, so you can't assess the penalty. Just goes to show how easy it is to break the rules without even knowing.

Wow! Really?!

Thanks, was just trying to gauge how "serious" people are about the rules in these events. I understand that if it isn't called at that point of time it didn't happen.
The rounds are absolutely serious, and this past weekend, there were a few instances of violations being called. Some called themselves on something, others were pointed out from opponents.

As a participant in that match and present in the video, I can tell you that the putting surface was not touched. The altitude and the stable picture might be giving an illusion, but the putting surface was not touched.

JM

Believe me, as a participant in these events you want to make sure all rules are followed. Guys will ask opponents every time to verify a ruling or something. If there was any question at all from anyone in the group there's almost no hesitation to want to get it right.

It's serious, but not crazy over the top of that makes sense. We encourage gimmes due to pace, etc.

I would rather see a THPer inform someone unaware of an obscure rule than jump to the penalty, but everybody is different.

Wow! Really?!

It's a legit question from someone that has never been to a THP event.

Exactly we had several occasions we discussed certain events to confirm a rule was not broken.

Gimmes? We don't do that even in our regular weekly play but I guess it makes sense if pace of play is slow.

Personally in a team THP event I would never call something like that. It is obviously a rule and while I take the rules very serious that is one I would not call. To me it is more about being out there with one another even if you are playing someone than calling all kinds of rules on them. Now if someone was blatantly cheating I would approach it much different.

That is personally how I view it but nothing wrong in either side of it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Drone Videos and Rules of Golf

Gimmes? We don't do that even in our regular weekly play but I guess it makes sense if pace of play is slow.

Pace of play is an issue because it's respectable towards the course that's giving up a chunk of tee times to THP and hosting the events. It's just something everyone tries to be conscious of.

I wouldn't even call it an issue. More of a point of emphasis

In terms of gimmes, in this case, it's if you are out of the hole. Dont give a gimmes to lose the hole, but if it's 6" away and it's a tap in, give the putt and move on.

I want to apologize for starting this thread. It was a serious question to understand the atmosphere of a THP event. I know the intent is to have fun and spend time with THPers and find out how serious people are with regards to the rules as I know that everyone has different knowledge levels of the rules.

Again, if I offended anyone, I am sorry.

I think there are innocent rules violations that really wont impact the match that are over looked because as much as we want to win none of us are making a living out there. For example how many guys had over 14 clubs in their bag this past weekend? Is it illegal yes but yoy bring extra clubs for testing or others to try out.

I want to apologize for starting this thread. It was a serious question to understand the atmosphere of a THP event. I know the intent is to have fun and spend time with THPers and find out how serious people are with regards to the rules as I know that everyone has different knowledge levels of the rules.

No apologies necessary you were just trying to understand the atmosphere and it is a rule so nothing wrong with asking

Man, no apology is necessary. You asked a question about something you saw and there were answers given. Don't let the lack of "tone" or "voice" on the internet throw you. It was a legit question. Here's hoping you get into an event soon and get to see how much fun it is. No offense taken whatsoever.......

JM

You have offended no one, valid question regarding something you saw.

i personally would rather someone ask. Many of us have been to many events and have grown accustomed to the way things go at events, for those new, or that have never been involved it's a different story. Something some of may take for granted I suppose. In the end it's just golf with friends and always a ton of laughs and good times. No blood no foul dude.

We had a few situations in out match yesterday where all 4 of us got together to make a decision. One ruling we were unsure of so Mike called JB to get a definitive ruling. THP events are all about fun but everyone also wants the fun and competition to be played on a level field with the rules followed to the best of our abilities.

Absolutely no issue with something seen on the drone video being questioned for discussion. Knowing the 4 guys in that group, I'm feel confident that no infraction occurred.

No need to dude it's a good golf conversation

No need to dude it's a good golf conversation
Absolutely. Just shows how easily someone could break a rule and not even know it.

Personally in a team THP event I would never call something like that. It is obviously a rule and while I take the rules very serious that is one I would not call. To me it is more about being out there with one another even if you are playing someone than calling all kinds of rules on them. Now if someone was blatantly cheating I would approach it much different.

That is personally how I view it but nothing wrong in either side of it.

I am along the same lines as you. Unless it is a obvious rule violation that I felt gave an advantage don't think I would call it. I don't know all the small rules and frankly disagree with some of them anyhow.

Nothing to apologies over you asked a honest question that you wanted the answer to.

Back