Why do we care whats on the bottom or back of the club?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
OEM's are constantly trying new things to get our attention. Things like bright colors, moveable weights, adjustable hosels, etc, but as I look through photos of new clubs both drivers and irons I started thinking that most of this stuff you can't see at address...

Why do we care if the sole of the driver is red, yellow, blue or green? Is it made for TV? Is it purely marketing? What about the badging of an iron? You really only see it when the club is on the rack or in the bag so what does it matter what it looks like?

It matters for marketing purposes right? The bold colors stick out in a bag or while someone is holding a club.

As for playing a club? Doesn't matter to me, I know people tend to like a cohesive set of colors that please their eyes in the bag, so I think it really is mostly about appearance in the bag.

Personal preference of wanting to like what you are looking down at, be it in the bag or at address.

Me, I want visible tech and a non-annoying color scheme. Thats it.

I don't. If it is out of sight at address, it is out of my mind.

I used to be big on what the sole looked like but lately with woods I've realized hey, it's going to be covered by a wood cover anyway so it doesn't bother me so much. The crown and how the club sets up is what's most important to me these days and even there I'm more open. If I could get used to everything that was going on with the crown of the G400 I should be able to get used to just about anything.

I was at a golf shop yesterday "just looking" and seeing all of the irons with the badges and colors trying to show me what their tech was. I passed them by and looked at a set of used JPX 850 forged irons and looked at the clean back, no colors descrete badging and tech. I really kind of wish that all irons were like that. Some are, but most aren't. If you take away all of the badging the shape of the clubs civility look all the same to me.

Color catches the eye when it is on display, that is the purpose in my opinion. When it is in the bag its covered if a wood. When other guys pick up your club to look it is because they happened to notice a color IMO.

We can’t really see the color or body of our car while we are actually driving, but looks matter to us. Humans are fickle. It isn’t a big factor to me, but how my clubs look in my bag matter to me. If two drivers perform exactly the same and cost the same, my deciding factor would be how the club looks, most importantly at address, but also the entire package.

My only concerns with the back of an iron are color-scheme and composition. I'd prefer that my clubs don't have a terrible color combo -- like red and lime green or yellow and hot pink. Provided the colors work well together and it's not too over the top, then there's no issues here. From a composition standpoint, I'm not interested in technology that "appears" it can be broken or will result in other problems. Case in point, the new M5/M6 irons from Taylormade have the "bridge" that seems like it could break (granted, it probably never will under normal use...) or it could snag on things like a bag or something in my trunk or somehow collect/hold dirt following a round in sloppy, wet conditions.

I'd prefer great looking clubs but I've played enough ugly ones to know that I'll play what works for me.

The question could be asked somewhat in reverse, too. If a manufacturer can pack in copious amounts of tech into a given club while at the same time be able to make it with a widely accepted striking appeal, why wouldn't they?

I mean, a jacket is meant to just keep you warm. As long as it does its job, why would we care about the style on the outside?

If I am paying $500+ for one club, I want it to look good to me. I don't want to pay that kind of money to carry around a small billboard for the OEM. My concern is my own game and personal taste, not making sure that the OEM is getting exposure for my use.

Why care what your car looks like? Can’t see it when you’re driving much either. Style and aesthetics have always been important to people, and most of your clubs are sitting in your bag while you’re playing, with only one at address at a time. Looks matter. Everyone has their “breaking point” when something looks too off for them to play. Some people just have stricter thresholds. Marketing legitimately wouldn’t exist as a profession if people didn’t care as much as they do.

OEM's are constantly trying new things to get our attention. Things like bright colors, moveable weights, adjustable hosels, etc, but as I look through photos of new clubs both drivers and irons I started thinking that most of this stuff you can't see at address...

Why do we care if the sole of the driver is red, yellow, blue or green? Is it made for TV? Is it purely marketing? What about the badging of an iron? You really only see it when the club is on the rack or in the bag so what does it matter what it looks like?

Because your friends and playing partners also see them in the bag....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd argue the same reason why we want our clothes, shoes, cars, houses, and meals to look a certain way.

Presentation is an awfully big deal.

It matters. Came up time after time on the DVD2 show. The club needs to look good at the shelf, or showing it off to your buddies, whatever it may be. Complete vanity, but that's just the way things work. We like to have cars that look good to us, a house that looks good to us, house appliances that look good, and clubs that have a good appearance as well.

I guess a different question is, how many goods are there where appearance doesn't matter?

My only concerns with the back of an iron are color-scheme and composition. I'd prefer that my clubs don't have a terrible color combo -- like red and lime green or yellow and hot pink. Provided the colors work well together and it's not too over the top, then there's no issues here. From a composition standpoint, I'm not interested in technology that "appears" it can be broken or will result in other problems. Case in point, the new M5/M6 irons from Taylormade have the "bridge" that seems like it could break (granted, it probably never will under normal use...) or it could snag on things like a bag or something in my trunk or somehow collect/hold dirt following a round in sloppy, wet conditions.

I had the same thought about the TM M5/M6 "speed bridge". It reminds me of the Adams irons from a few years back that a similar tech which ended up breaking when the clubs banged into each other.

Don't care. I keep my clubs covered so they are quiet in the bag and not rattling around when I am walking or on my push cart. I probably couldn't tell you what the emblem looks like.

Marketing strategies sometimes use eyeball candy to attract consumers.

OEM's are constantly trying new things to get our attention. Things like

bright colors,

On the sole, I could care less. Not sure I could deal with hitting a club with a brightly colored crown.

moveable weights,

I think this is more for functionality than aesthetics. For me, I appreciate the weights as much for the ability to add weight to the head easily as for the ability to move weight around.

adjustable hosels, etc,

I think the adjustable adapters for the hosels are along the same line as the adjustable length in the new Ping putters. I'd assume more people use it to dial in to their preferred specs, then rarely if ever move it. I know that's my process. I think it's also beneficial when trying to sell. Instead of being limited to buyers who are looking for the same loft as you're selling, you now have a range of lofts that the club will fit. Throw in lie adjustment and fade/draw bias adjustment and it's just bacon on the eggs (I would say icing on the cake, but that's WAY too much carbs).

but as I look through photos of new clubs both drivers and irons I started thinking that most of this stuff you can't see at address...

Because it’s on display at a golf store and had look cool and show the tech so people pick it up and try it. It’s also nice pulling off a cover before your shot or looking st your bag and seeing what you like.

Because we’re all crazy lol

I have thought of repainting my lettering something different, anyone know what the best paint type to use?

in my foursome we care about results. When I jack an 8 iron and from the similar spot they jack the 6i that is all we talk about.

Humans care about looks, its just the way it is. Be it a house, a car, a girlfriend, a meal, or a forged iron...people want something that stimulates them or fills them with satisfaction.

Humans care about looks, its just the way it is. Be it a house, a car, a girlfriend, a meal, or a forged iron...people want something that stimulates them or fills them with satisfaction.

Some people care about looks first and foremost. Some people value function over form.

Back