Okay Upstate NY THPers

Haha not sure I'm captain material but I appreciate it buddy I'd like to think I'd do a good job!

Im sure you would have no issues.

In response to JBs question, I feel like a captain must be active in the forum, inclusive of all members, has an open mind, flexible and adaptable, the ability to inspire and motivate and knows how to have fun!

Lot of great choices for captains in the forum and in the NY area. Looking forward to finding out more!

Very interested in that tech piece that was teased in the OP

Im sitting here in my office, staring at itineraries and wondering how to pick captains for this.
Im not asking, but in some ways I am. If you were me, what would you look for in a captain for this THP Event?

Must know how to correctly eat a Spiedie. :)

:act-up:
Information is going to be coming pretty fast for this one and we are so excited that it is taking place.

We can start off with this bit of info.

Spoiler
gal17.jpg

When this thread started I joked about telling my wife we would make a trip up to visit her Mom, now it's not a joke. This course is 3.5 miles door to door from her house. My wife has played the course and says we are going! Anyone that goes has to be sure and go to Lupos for spiedies. Never been this excited about visiting my mother-in-law. :act-up:

Last edited:
for captain, some who lives THP golf, understands what THP is about and loves the game of golf!

:act-up:

When this thread started I joked about telling my wife we would make a trip up to visit her Mom, now it's not a joke. This course is 3.5 miles door to door from her house. My wife has played the course and says we are going! Anyone that goes has to be sure and go to Lupos for spiedies. Never been this excited about visiting my mother-in-law. :act-up:

My in-laws are in Johnson City, similar for me!

this thread is quiet today, maybe we need another bit of info ?

I want in!

Let me ask this question. Lets say there is equipment involved in this event and between that, the team atmosphere, and a ton of other surprises that will take place at this one it becomes a go to on your 2016 list. You decide you want to be captain and THP thinks you would be a good captain.

What happens post event to the gear? I guess the question is, do you need to know what the equipment is, before deciding on whether or not you want to be captain? Personally I think the captains do have a bit more skin in the game in terms of post event discussion. I could be off here, and its merely my opinion on the subject, but would like to hear yours.

I feel if someone is captain and equipment is involved they almost take on the roll as a temporary staff writer/tester if that makes sense. Not only that but a bit more of a brand ambassador ready to answer any questions or do your best to deliver any comparisons THPers ask for.

Let me ask this question. Lets say there is equipment involved in this event and between that, the team atmosphere, and a ton of other surprises that will take place at this one it becomes a go to on your 2016 list. You decide you want to be captain and THP thinks you would be a good captain.

What happens post event to the gear? I guess the question is, do you need to know what the equipment is, before deciding on whether or not you want to be captain? Personally I think the captains do have a bit more skin in the game in terms of post event discussion. I could be off here, and its merely my opinion on the subject, but would like to hear yours.

I definitely agree with this. While the captains can try and push his players to be engaged ultimately if they're not I think that's where it falls on the captains to pick up the slack to make sure the gear is talked about and given it's due diligence.

I know for me personally, and I've said this in other similar threads, if I was to participate in an event and was given equipment I would play that equipment for a decent amount of time just out of respect for the oem and you guys. Id provide feedback to the forum during that period so everyone could share my experience, almost the same as one of the equipment testing threads. After that period if it was a good fit id continue to play it as hell why wouldn't I? Haha but if it just wasn't working at least I can say I gave it a fair shot and once again out of respect for the people or company that gave it to me.

I don't think knowing ahead of time what the equipment is would be a deal breaker, in my opinion. As a captain in an event showcasing equipment, you do have to be open and willing to offer feedback to others and actively engage the participants in the event and on the forum, while making sure they're doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the captains do have more skin in the game with leading the discussion and playing the gear. Knowing how awesome THP events are and the great stuff that comes with most events no requirement for me to know what it is before hand.

I feel if someone is captain and equipment is involved they almost take on the roll as a temporary staff writer/tester if that makes sense. Not only that but a bit more of a brand ambassador ready to answer any questions or do your best to deliver any comparisons THPers ask for.

I definitely agree with this. While the captains can try and push his players to be engaged ultimately if they're not I think that's where it falls on the captains to pick up the slack to make sure the gear is talked about and given it's due diligence.

I don't think knowing ahead of time what the equipment is would be a deal breaker, in my opinion. As a captain in an event showcasing equipment, you do have to be open and willing to offer feedback to others and actively engage the participants in the event and on the forum, while making sure they're doing the same.

So for you guys you dont need to know the equipment ahead of time?
Very cool stuff there.

Very cool stuff there.

Like others have said, regardless of what it is a Captain has the responsibility to test it and test it whether or not it works for them. Even if something doesn't work for someone regardless of what the gear is, that doesn't mean that they can't provide valuable feedback on something. IMO of course.

I'd pretty much echo the thoughts about captains that have already been shared. Involvement in the forum, good personality, respectful of others, including opposing team members, etc.

It wouldn't matter what the equipment was if I were a captain. I'd use it at the event and try to play it afterward, give my feedback to the best of my ability and encourage my teammates to do the same.

Very cool stuff there.

It's golf equipment and we all love to try new stuff so it really doesn't matter what it is. Don't get me wrong we all have certain tastes but I think if someone wanted to be captain then they would also understand it's part of the job to put their personal preference aside and do what is right for the company and THP. Not everyone would be willing to fulfill that role though.

If a Captain needs to know what gear is involved prior to accepting the offer, then in my books he won't succeed as a Captain.

My take would be to embark on make sure my team members support the role of providing honest feedback to the equipment involved.

I feel that I would not need to know what equipment was involved. I also agree that the captain should lead my example when it comes to the discussion post event. Hopefully his team will follow

Very cool stuff there.

I don't think so. I know what works for me in my bag, but would be proud and honored to play/test equipment from an event (even more so if it was prototype) and provide feedback that would hopefully help at least one person on the forum.

Not at all. Provide me with a few tees and a sleeve of balls and I'll run with a review like no other.

Back