Time between Lessons

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My wife gave me for Christmas a 3 pack lesson from a local pro who I last took lessons from in the past. Really good instructor and as I playing 4-5 times per week once golf season opens up, I staggered the 2nd and 3rd lessons 4 weeks apart. This timeframe was his recommendation so I could play enough and practice to get more accustomed to the changes. This particular instructor approach at that time was in steps and after the 3rd lesson I feel we got accomplished what I had set out to do.

This time around, my objective is to tighten up my swing focusing on shortening by backswing as I get "over the top" aka John Daly/Brook Henderson and I feel by doing so this is where I tend to lose balance and causes a push right or off-plane swing, leading to an issue. It doesn't happen every swing but enough that can ruin a perfectly good score.

I was curious for those that purchased Lessons as a package what typical timeframe have you experienced be it # of weeks or # of practice sessions, etc. Appreciate further insight.

My wife gave me for Christmas a 3 pack lesson from a local pro who I last took lessons from in the past. Really good instructor and as I playing 4-5 times per week once golf season opens up, I staggered the 2nd and 3rd lessons 4 weeks apart. This timeframe was his recommendation so I could play enough and practice to get more accustomed to the changes. This particular instructor approach at that time was in steps and after the 3rd lesson I feel we got accomplished what I had set out to do.

This time around, my objective is to tighten up my swing focusing on shortening by backswing as I get "over the top" aka John Daly/Brook Henderson and I feel by doing so this is where I tend to lose balance and causes a push right or off-plane swing, leading to an issue. It doesn't happen every swing but enough that can ruin a perfectly good score.

I was curious for those that purchased Lessons as a package what typical timeframe have you experienced be it # of weeks or # of practice sessions, etc. Appreciate further insight.

For me it depends on how often you are able to practice/play to ingrain what you are working on. In this time of year I am trying to hit the range twice per week and play once a week, but that is dependent on the weather. I bought a 5 pack of lessons and have been going every 3-4 weeks. That seems to be right for me. If I was practicing 4-5 times a week I would probably go every 2 weeks. If I was playing less, or if I was not trying to revamp my swing I would probably back off to every 6-8 weeks as pretty much a check in to make sure things haven't gone wonky on me in some area.

I'm going to echo @mancest "it depends" For me I don't go back until I get what the instructor had me work on. There is no sense going for another lesson until you are comfortable with the changes they introduced to you. In my case that is somewhere in the 200 rep range. There have been times where it was far greater than that which forced a couple reschedules. They were OK with the reschedules because I leveled with them on the first meeting. That I don't want to waste my money and their time coming every week and that I need to put the time in to successfully build upon their teachings. We all have other things get in the way of planned practice sessions, family, work, weather or health. I believe most pros would rather have a successful student than a frustrated one. Good luck and enjoy.

If your previous instructor is still available to you, stick with him and listen his guidance regarding swing technique, practice routines, scheduling of lessons etc...

Being through it all and based on your post, I'd say once a month is good. Any less and you'll just waste the lessons. Anymore and old habits will creep back in. IMHO

Edit. I see you're an 8.
I'd think that you'd be the best judge for yourself based on how you feel you're progressing.

If the instructor gives me something to work on, I don't want to go back until I feel I have a handle on it .

I was just thinking about this the other day. My wife gave me a 4 pack of lessons and playing lesson with a new instructor. I was on the same page as what you guys are saying, 1x/month because getting to the range 1x a week is my max along playing ever other week or so. I still need to decide when I want to do the playing lesson, I was thinking after the 2nd or 3rd lesson.

Back