Ping G Stretch Fairway - THP Review

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is a very interesting creation from Ping. Bigger head, lower spin, forward CG... It's not something new to the market as far as I can tell, but it's something I think Ping really needed to add to their lineup with the latest G release. I'll be getting some swings in soon and will share my thoughts (thanks for your patience while I'm under the weather) but I am really eager to get this one going. Also, I love that the adjustability is available not only to move from 12-14 degrees, but also to make it easier to experiment with other shafts.

From Ping

This special design is engineered to stretch your distance off the tee and from shots into the green with its larger head, slightly forward CG, 13° loft, and lower spin. The lead edge sits lower to the ground so impact occurs higher on the face. And our thinnest crown ever in a PING fairway wood allows for a low-back CG to ensure high launch, low spin and extreme forgiveness.

Thinner Crown - Weight saved by thinning the crown was used to lower the CG, increase MOI and make it easy to get the ball in the air, even when struck low on the face. Turbulators capture the ball and can aid in alignment.

images

Lower Lead Edge - Getting the ball airborne is easy with a lower lead edge that slides the face under the ball so impact occurs higher on the face (12% higher than G30 fairway woods).

images

Tiered Internal Sole - A cascading structure relieves stress at impact by pooling it so the entire face is engaged in flexing. Maximum energy transfer means fast ball speeds and big distance.

images

Carpenter 455 Face
- More than twice as strong as cast 17-4 stainless, Carpenter 455 steel allows for a thinner, variable-thickness, precision-machined face that increases flexing for fast ball speeds, high launch and greater distance. A unique process adds roughness to the face to reduce spin.

images

This design is custom-engineered to stretch your distance off the tee and on shots into the green with its larger head, slightly forward CG, 13° loft, and reduced spin. The lead edge is lower to the ground, making it easy to get the ball in the air as impact occurs higher on the face. Also key to performance: an innovative cascading internal sole that pools stress at impact so the entire face is engaged in flexing to deliver maximum energy for faster ball speeds and big distance.

Discretionary weight from thinning the crown was used to lower the CG, increase forgiveness, and make it easy to get the ball airborne, even when struck low on the face. Carpenter 455 steel has a high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for a thinner, variable-thickness machined face that increases flexing for fast ball speeds, high launch and greater distance. A unique process adds friction to the face to reduce spin.

To fine-tune your launch conditions prior to a round, adjust the loft ±1° using Trajectory Tuning 2.0, which utilizes a lightweight, aerodynamically efficient and high-strength 7075 aluminum hosel sleeve. Turbulators on the crown give the ball a captured appearance and aid in alignment.

In Hand Photos

0214161120-XL.jpg

0214161119a-XL.jpg

0214161120d-XL.jpg

0214161122-XL.jpg

0214161122a-XL.jpg

0214161122b-XL.jpg

0214161123-XL.jpg

0214161123c-XL.jpg

0214161124-XL.jpg

0214161125-XL.jpg

0214161126-XL.jpg

0214161128-X2.jpg

0214161128a-X2.jpg

Nice. I'll be looking forward to your full review on this one Dan. I recently added an older, but similar club to my bag, so I'm curious to see how this one performs for you.

Good stuff Dan, looking forward to what you think.

I can't wait to hear how it works for you Dan, seems more FW than driver replacement, but time will tell on performance!

I can't decide if I want to hit this first, or buy it sight unseen.

It's a sharp looking metal wood for sure. Which shaft is in that, Dan?

Thanks Dan. Looking forward to your thoughts once you've had some time with it.

Glad PING moved in this direction. Trickle down technology is a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My G30 3W is my best hitting club in the bag right now. I can't imagine improving on what I already have with this club. Definitely need to hit this one.

I'm wanting to see this play out. I've decided this year is the year of a new fairway wood for me.

I'm wanting to see this play out. I've decided this year is the year of a new fairway wood for me.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with Kev!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the looks of this one, I've been quite impressed with what Ping is releasing this year. This baby could be lethal, 13 degree but with what looks like a great profile for hitting the ball off the deck. I can't wait to hear more Dan!

The G line has been a great set of clubs so far when I've hit them. This one has me intrigued for sure. I would venture to say the best performing woods out there(for me). I just can't get over the turbulators. Should be a good one

The G line has been a great set of clubs so far when I've hit them. This one has me intrigued for sure. I would venture to say the best performing woods out there(for me). I just can't get over the turbulators. Should be a good one

When I hit the G30 for the first time I said the same thing, but I have to say --- It only took a handful of balls to realize how well it frames the ball.

Interesting club by Ping. Same length as their regular G FW.

Looking forward to your review of this "new" fairway design from PING. Initial specs appear to be very similar to the 915Fd, it will be interesting how the two compare.

This could be a great addition to my bag. Definitely want to hit this.

I'm definitely intrigued about this club - could be a mini driver or could be a FW wood. Looking forward to the reviews on this one.

Im definitely interested in this one. The stretch aspect intrigues me and curious how it plays off the deck.

I got one of these last week. So far it's a great club , like a mini driver that can be hit off the deck.

Interesting in the face. Sitting lower to the ground seems like a good thing.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Back