Increasing Swing Speed - What works / What doesn't work

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
Just like the title suggests. We all want it. Everybody and everything seems to promise it. What are the things you've tried that resulted in significant increases in swing speed? What did you try that didn't live up to the hype?

Just like the title suggests. We all want it. Everybody and everything seems to promise it. What are the things you've tried that resulted in significant increases in swing speed? What did you try that didn't live up to the hype?

Taking lessons and using Superspeed Golf has done it for me. Started working with my current coach in 2014 after a fitting where my driver swing speed was 97-99 mph on Trackman (had been 102-104 mph in the past). I did Superspeed Golf intro and level 1 protocols last year. Last week, I hit 111 mph club head speed with the driver.

Taking lessons and using Superspeed Golf has done it for me. Started working with my current coach in 2014 after a fitting where my driver swing speed was 97-99 mph on Trackman (had been 102-104 mph in the past). I did Superspeed Golf intro and level 1 protocols last year. Last week, I hit 111 mph club head speed with the driver.

TOLD YOU!

It works!

My answer would have been much different 15 years ago when it didn’t take any work or thought to keep my swing speed at 105+, but now that I’m 53 the best way to understand what it takes to stay and/or be fast is in the book, The Flexible Golf Swing by Roger Frederic. The fact that Arnold Palmer wrote the introduction speaks to the validity of the book and the exercises within.

BTW, I’m also a big fan of SuperSpeed, it’s just that us old guys have to do some other stretches and strength stuff so we don’t hurt ourselves with the SuperSpeed sticks!

Grip technique, including fundamentally sound positioning of the hands-fingers as well as pressure applied, is a major factor contributing to swing speed.
If a player wants to improve his/her swing and , or, swing speed, grip technique is a good sense place to start the process.

Now that I have a gc2 at home I’m really trying to get my speed up. I’m getting 110 mph ball speed on my 7 iron (C200 staffproto ) but can’t seem to dial in my driver over 135 mph (I was fit by Golftec for it). I’m curious about super swing. Did it hurt any of your mechanics? I’m just getting a swing a really feel is working now that I can get on my launch monitor a couple of times a week. Just don’t want to hurt my swing mechanics.

Now that I have a gc2 at home I’m really trying to get my speed up. I’m getting 110 mph ball speed on my 7 iron (C200 staffproto ) but can’t seem to dial in my driver over 135 mph (I was fit by Golftec for it). I’m curious about super swing. Did it hurt any of your mechanics? I’m just getting a swing a really feel is working now that I can get on my launch monitor a couple of times a week. Just don’t want to hurt my swing mechanics.

Doesn’t change your mechanics, reprograms your brain to what its limits of ‘fast’ is.

a few years ago I took a few lessons from a pro which I no longer am seeing and changed to another since. That aside....he did manage to get my (at the time) ss of 105/106 up to a 113 average. I was actually amazed I was able to stay lose enough to get to that speed. I mean c'mon, an 8mph ss increase is a huge jump. Problem was I spent more than half that season desperately trying to have some control and I just couldn't accomplish that part of the newly obtained ss. I just didn't want to keep using up the time not being able to keep a ball in play off the tee. Finally I calmed back down to the 105-ish I had previously and was able to play the game again. Its not like at the 105ish I was exactly hurting for distance from 6400 tee sets and so I never again pursued that 113 as I just didn't "need it". Nowadays Ive lost a couple/fdw mph probably due to age (54) but still 101 to 105 (somewhere in there) works just fine. I have swing issues with driver due to a swing rebuild since then but that's another topic and story.

But what was it at the time that got me to that 113 in those lessons? Honestly was a combination of a faster tempo backswing and forward and an ability to stay lose enough to pull it off. But while I was able to do it (which made me feel good to know) I couldn't control a darn thing. I often wonder if I stayed with it...if I would have eventually got the timing down with the hands and club release but I just couldn't ruin the whole season trying to get there due to the amount of golf I play. It wasn't enjoyable and more than half the season had gone by and so I tamed back down and was able to control the ball better again and began to better enjoy the remainder of that season. Im ok with that in a lot of ways

A 30 mph tail wind has been shown to increase my swing speed substantially

In the past I have done a lot rotational work in the gym. I was seeing very good results. Recently dealing with back issues are started yoga and new flexibility I will gain with that will mph’s To my swing speed.

I’m telling you all, and I’ve never ever stumped this hard for a training product I’ve reviewed other than the PuttOut (which is still imo one of the best out there for putting) but SuperSpeed Golf is revolutionary. It works, period, and it’s simple and quick. There’s a reason HUNDREDS of tour players have and are putting them in the bag, and I’ve also seen the difference both in my speed and my high school teams speed.

One thing I will add: my normal speed on course is probably like 105-108 mph now. 111 was swinging as hard as I could.

I’m telling you all, and I’ve never ever stumped this hard for a training product I’ve reviewed other than the PuttOut (which is still imo one of the best out there for putting) but SuperSpeed Golf is revolutionary. It works, period, and it’s simple and quick. There’s a reason HUNDREDS of tour players have and are putting them in the bag, and I’ve also seen the difference both in my speed and my high school teams speed.

I only know it works for me but I like to hear that you have seen so much success with it.

I’ve been doing a lot of core and cardio work on my Peloton but not using SS sticks recently as the golf season doesn’t get rolling until April around here. Part of the reason I can ignore the SuperSpeed in the winter is I know if I keep my core strong and flexible I can start up again with it again 30 days before the season starts and pick up 5 mph quickly.

SuperSpeed + Yoga + Good Sequencing = Speed

I got to 117 with the driver this year. hoping to be at 120 in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Increasing Swing Speed - What works / What doesn't work

Superspeed it is. Thx boys!
I’m going to take 20 swings with my driver and log them on the gc2.
I’ll do the program and report back.
A 135ish ball does translates to roughly 90ish mph clubhead apeed. So I’d like to get to 100.

Ive looked into this Superspeed but I fear that while Im still trying to grove a repeatable driver swing since my rebuild last year that I will end up repeating a bad swing. Im mostly talking swingpath which is being affected by some casting via things like too much right arm dominant and/or too early hands, as well as other things etc...

I fear I need to keep working on grooving my swing (path and face) correctly first engraining it before I go and take so many swings with those speed sticks or while I may get faster I may also not break out of bad habits and Ill just end up with being more errant than I am now. Don't know what anyone thinks about that. ??

Ive looked into this Superspeed but I fear that while Im still trying to grove a repeatable driver swing since my rebuild last year that I will end up repeating a bad swing. Im mostly talking swingpath which is being affected by some casting via things like too much right arm dominant and/or too early hands, as well as other things etc...

I fear I need to keep working on grooving my swing (path and face) correctly first engraining it before I go and take so many swings with those speed sticks or while I may get faster I may also not break out of bad habits and Ill just end up with being more errant than I am now. Don't know what anyone thinks about that. ??

That you’re overthinking it and approaching that paralysis by over-analysis realm.

Make sure you're hitting balls as well as doing the training. I did the training last year...being a gym guy I misunderstood the instructions. Superspeed calls. "Set" 3 swings righty/3 swings lefty with the green club. Another set is same thing with the blue. My gym mentality had a set being the 3 and 3 with all 3 clubs. So, I was doing triple the swings. I also wanted to only do the swings and not hit balls. My thought was to start the season with a fresh new swing. Wrong... I was awful off the tee for months. Irons were terrible as well.

This year I've been hitting balls either at the range under the heaters or at my indoor place. I'm also sticking to my normal swing during the training. I'm building speed, I see it when I hit inside on the GC2 and my swing is still good. I learned you need to hit balls while doing this program.

Make sure you're hitting balls as well as doing the training. I did the training last year...being a gym guy I misunderstood the instructions. Superspeed calls. "Set" 3 swings righty/3 swings lefty with the green club. Another set is same thing with the blue. My gym mentality had a set being the 3 and 3 with all 3 clubs. So, I was doing triple the swings. I also wanted to only do the swings and not hit balls. My thought was to start the season with a fresh new swing. Wrong... I was awful off the tee for months. Irons were terrible as well.

This year I've been hitting balls either at the range under the heaters or at my indoor place. I'm also sticking to my normal swing during the training. I'm building speed, I see it when I hit inside on the GC2 and my swing is still good. I learned you need to hit balls while doing this program.

Thanks for sharing Typhoon. I'm looking at getting SuperSpeed and this is super helpful info.

Yup. I thought about building my own set because 200.00 seemed steep. By the time I added up building it right, I just went ahead and bought a set. I also didn't wanna have a 300 gram missile flying 130 MPH get lose in the neighborhood if I messed up the build.

I saw rather minimal gains myself but I already swing 120+ and I'm rapidly aging, but I still saw gains. I guess I'd say I gained an extra gear when I want it. I hit a few drives further than I ever have hit drives on a course.

My boys, they saw HUGE gains. My then 14 year old started last fall at 83 MPH CHS. The last time he swung on the Sim towards the end of last winter, he had hit 118 CHS. He was relatively new to golf when we started working on this last fall so I'm sure him getting bigger and stronger have a lot to do with it. As does him getting better and more confident. But there's no way he'd have hit 118 if he hadn't worked on overspeed training. He can get ball speed in the 170 area, when (which isn't real often with him) he hits the center of the clubface

My then 12 year started last fall at 71 MPH CHS. The end of last winter he hit 99 CHS (about a dozen times, drove him nuts that he couldn't hit 100, lol). Early summer he hit 104, which is the last time any of us were on an accurate sim. He gets ball speed right around 150 on well struck shots. He's pretty consistent about hitting the center of the face.

Jman, can you still see results with this without having a swing radar? Another $120 after $200 for the sticks is a little outside my budget.

Jman, can you still see results with this without having a swing radar? Another $120 after $200 for the sticks is a little outside my budget.

I’m no @Jman but I did a few months with SS without the radar and saw improvements. It is hard to quantity on a daily basis but after a while I noticed the results on the course. You can always add the radar later as needed (I did after several months).

Also, amazon has it around $90 if that changes anything.

Yeah, IMO you can. Sure the radar helps, but it still works.

Yeah, IMO you can. Sure the radar helps, but it still works.

I’m no @Jman but I did a few months with SS without the radar and saw improvements. It is hard to quantity on a daily basis but after a while I noticed the results on the course. You can always add the radar later as needed (I did after several months).

Also, amazon has it around $90 if that changes anything.

Thanks guys, I've been on the fence about trying it but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

Back